Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bloody centerlock
  • rossburton
    Free Member

New wheels have a centerlock rotor on that I need to take off. Grab my lockring tool and it isn’t deep enough to get past the 142×12 axle to reach the locking!

So now I get to buy a new lockring tool, and maybe even a centerlock to 6-bolt adapter…

tomhoward

Adapters add play, and a hideous creaky clunk when used.

I’m a fan…

shermer75
    Free Member

I prefer centrelock but this sounds annoying!

Pridds

Are they hope RS4’s and is the rear one?

greyspoke
    Free Member

I had that problem with a DT Swiss hub. They actually do an alternative lockring which engages externally with a spanner not internally with a cassette tool for such situations but this had not been used by my bikes previous owner/ their bike shop (Grrrr).

The solution is to grind the top off your tool with an angle grinder (oo er missus) and drill the middle out a bit, then grind some flats on either side of a cassette lockring then combine the two to make a tool to remove your lockring.

You didn’t have anything else to do tomorrow morning anyway, did you?

nairnster
    Free Member

Can you not just pop out the adapters, fit the rotor, then refit the axle adapters?

greyspoke
    Free Member

The lockring holds the adapters in…

nairnster
    Free Member

Sounds like a stupid design.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

As greyspoke said, you need to use the other type of lock ring that works with a bottom bracket tool,

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.DT-Swiss-Centre-Lock-Ring-and-Washer-For-15-mm-Axles_96851.htm?sku=343590&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwutXIBRDV7-SDvdiNsUoSJACIlTqlCW-b-5N3MWheuW55CvjnrqDcaBpL7FQEjT-eObxn3xoCDRrw_wcB

like this one but probably best not to buy it from tredz, it will say in stock but it probably isn’t!

John

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pretty sure theres a different lock ring needed..
    Shimano SM-HB20 Centerlock Rotor Lock-Ring for 15mm / 20mm Through-Axle Hubs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-SM-HB20-Centerlock-Disc-Rotor-Lock-Ring-for-15mm-20mm-Through-Axle-Hubs-/381678002750?hash=item58ddc8223e:g:MF8AAOSwc1FXaTFR

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Just to add I had the same issue as you with DTswiss wheels. The discs came with the smaller cassette lock rings but the DTswiss wheels came with the BB tool lock ring. I briefly used the 6 bolt adapters but they seemed pretty rubbish. Just buy centre locks.

John

belugabob
    Free Member

Given that the traditional style lockrings has already been installed, there must be a way of getting it off – removing the axle, maybe?

rossburton
    Free Member

Double annoyingly is that I want to remove the centerlock lockring so I can get the 142×12 axle out and replace it with a 135QR axle, which looks like it won’t need a new lockring tool. Stuck behind the lockring is the endcap, which is now loose because the axle itself has been removed.

The current lockring is definitely a cassette lockring, and the axle is definitely a 142×12. I think I’ll take the entire wheel down the LBS tomorrow and either find a tool that fits, or ask them to do it for me…

greyspoke
    Free Member

If you are really stuck rossburton I can post my bodge to you. Some cassette lockring tools look to have a longer recess in the middle, so you might find one that fits.

swanny853

Act at your peril but I have loosened and then re-tightened a centrelock lock ring with a screwdriver and a hammer. Wasn’t anywhere near as mangled as I expected.

Edit- I should add I’m not sure I’d recommend this if you have other options, just that I was frustrated, didn’t have a cassette tool available and it did work

rossburton
    Free Member

That’s very kind, thanks. My lockring tool requires a spanner to turn so I’m constantly dropping the tool whilst holding the spanner with one hand and the chainwhip with the other, so I’ve been meaning to get an all-in-one for ages anyway. Hopefully the LBS has one with a long recess as you say but it’s good to have a backup plan!

agraves
    Free Member

rossburton: Did you have any luck? I’ve got exactly the same issue now. Not sure what I can do now. I can’t get the rotor off due to the end cap, and can’t get the end cap off due to rotor.

Kahurangi

I had to buy a new tool from my LBS (my 4th [yes, fourth] such lockring tool) to get the centre lock rotors off my commuter.

antigee

had to buy a new spanner to do same as I only had a HT2 tool with a closed back that fitted on a socket drive only good news is that it came with a different sized similar looking bit at the other end – I am hopeful this fits the new HT2 size – hate standards that don’t really benefit you and need new tools

Kamakazie

I like centrelock for ease but it really annoys me that they don’t supply the BB style lock ring as standard.
    Having to buy another £10 part after getting new rotors is a joke. I wouldn’t mind if it was the £4 it should be but some places are asking nearly £15 😯

andyg1966

My CL rotors use a BB wrench! Bontrager hubs.

rossburton
    Free Member

My LBS had a cassette lockring which had enough depth to fit over the cap, and is also a better tool in general so that’s fine really. My old lockring tool was probably about £3 so you get what you pay for I guess.

The front wheel is 15mm so has a HT2 bottom bracket fitting, much easier! Why can’t they all be like that? Anyway the wheel is not dismantled and I can’t get the part I want for the hub, so it’s being swapped for a hub with good old 6-bolt mount. 🙂

Kahurangi

My old lockring tool was probably about £3 so you get what you pay for I guess.

MY cassette lockring tools that didn’t fit:

PArk tools cassette lcokring tool
    BBB one
    CRC cheapo toolkit one

The one that did fit a was (IIRC) Icetoolz. I checked this morning but it doesn’t have the mfr printed on it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bloody centerlock’ is closed to new replies.