Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • bloody casette!
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

im using a chain whip and lock ring nut and a spanner to get my casette fof and it wont come off, im turning it the right way i think u need super human strength for this one, whats going on any clues how to get it to come off lol

wwaswas

bigger lever – I use a 24″ adjustable spanner on my cassette tool.

placing the tool in a vice and turning the wheel can help.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

big lever on the spanner? set the chain whip and the spanner at “ten to two” and use your bodyweight to press down on both?

jimification
    Free Member

I never have any trouble with mine. Everything on my wife’s bike, however requires hydraulic firefighting equipment to shift….

What I do to undo hers is:-

– Put the splined lockring undoing HG nut thing on.
    – Put skewer back in (to hold above HG nut in place)
    – fit chain whip on one side and spanner (on nut above) on the other.
    – Lean wheel up against the Aga (ooh! – don’t get excited, it’s old and is just used for bashing things on) so wheel is upright, chainwhip is at 9 o clock, spanner at 3 o clock.
    – then I climb on. One foot on each (the handrail on your Aga will help you balance and brace yourself for when it goes) and jump up and down on it carefully. That always shifts it in the end….

Hope that helps!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lol thx ill have another go later but it defo feels like i need a spanner as big as my own body lol

cynic-al
    Free Member

pull apart – less chance of injury to fingers.

Get some WD40 in there?

Smack with a hammer? (Will make you feel better if nothing else 😎 )

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lol was thinking a hammer like one of those soft hammers for meat ill try that later

Stoner
    Free Member

align the spanner handle and the chain whip handle so that they are just a few degrees off each other then squeeze the ends together with both hands. your grip is surprisingly strong and you stand much less chance of getting a “bloody cassette” too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘bloody casette!’ is closed to new replies.