Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Blood in urine, should I be worried?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Done a few since yesterday that have been deep copper coloured. Not down to dehydration. Should I be concerned?

DickBarton

Depends…when you go to give blood, do you get it removed from your penis? If so, nowt to be concerned about…
    Always better to get it checked, just in case…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends is it yours?

YES see a doctor

awh
    Free Member

Had beetroot recently?

shermer75
    Free Member

NHS Choices says it’s usually not life threatening but do go and see your GP.

Link

Sandwich

Anyone been near your prostate with a big needle recently. Take a urine sample to GP when you go for a dip test by the practice nurse (assuming there is one). It will save a bit of time.

rocket
    Free Member

Er seriously? DOCTOR, ASAP! At the least call 111 or whatever the NHS direct type thing is. Then feel free to discuss here.

A cautionary tale from a man in a hospital bed as he types – Thought I just had severe food poisoning Tuesday night. Saw doc Weds am who went along with my self-diagnosis, but checked my records and saw i had a bowel op when i was 1. packed me off to A&E for xray ‘just in case’. Turns out I had a twisted bowel as a complication of previous op – same day emergency surgery means I don’t have to poop in a bag for the rest of my life. Just saying like…

vickypea
    Free Member

Unless you’ve been eating a lot of beetroot, ring the drs.
    Don’t bother with 111, they are useless. Told me to take light exercise and a paracetamol for a cluster headache.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had the same recently. Worth getting it checked out. They’ll stick a camera up the old fella and have a good look around.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Any pain pissing?

I had a wee urine infection recently, and it was bloody painful. No wonder it drives the old yins round the bend.

And then the anti biotics give you constipation. Lovely, just what you need.

MoreCashThanDash

I have the opposite problem with antibiotics.

You start feeling shit, and it just gets shittier…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

happened to the husband of someone i work with, ignored it the first time, went to the docs the 2nd, cancer, dead within a year

docs, tomorrow

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sad to say if it’s prostate cancer, once you get to noticeable symptoms like this then it’s pretty much game over anyway.

That said, could be any number of things, some of little concern, but get it checked asap.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just go get it checked. I had a few traces years ago, got paranoid – the doc explained it was most likely a tiny piece of ingested grit or somesuch that had damaged the old pipes. Also had the old rubber glove visitation just to be sure. I lived. Could be a number of reasons but don’t delay, as they say.

vickypea
    Free Member

A friend had blood in his urine after a nasty fall off his MTB when he landed on his back. No lasting damage though.
    Have you fallen off your bike recently?

voodoo_chile

Might be a bang from the saddle or a little kidney stone cut the inside of your urethra

DrP

If it’s PAIN FREE and been going on a few days, i wouldn’t bother with 111.
    However, you MUST get to see your own GP over the next few days in order to be reviewed and ‘the next steps taken’.

If it’s painful (i.e signs of cystitis) and/or you feel unwell,then maybe get an Out of hours Dr review as it may need acute treatment.

However, If it’s PAIN FREE and been going on a few days, i wouldn’t bother with 111.
    You MUST get to see your own GP over the next few days in order to be reviewed and ‘the next steps taken’.

That duplication wasn’t an error.

DrP

Of course, I’m actually a drunk 96 year old war vet with no medical background, so nothing I write on here can be taken as medical advice…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fair point on 111. It’s all outsourced now, the staff aren’t properly trained, and they just repeat what it says online. Which will either be, see a GP or OMG RING 999 NOW!

Ring GP first thing. If it’s painful then ask for an emergency appointment.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“DrP” a username that was just waiting for this thread. 😀

iainc

As one of the not that few on here who have been unfortunate enough to get prostate cancer in their 40’s, go get it checked pronto like the Doc says. Probably nowt, but don’t ignore….

Drac

Fair point on 111. It’s all outsourced now, the staff aren’t properly trained, and they just repeat what it says online. Which will either be, see a GP or OMG RING 999 NOW!

Some is outsourced many are run by NHS trusts. There’s a mixture of trained staff from call handlers to GPs.

It does work, sometimes, a lot is down to how people interrupt the questions.

crankboy
    Free Member

It is more likely to be nothing to worry about than something to worry about but you need to see a Dr asap because if it were to be in the something to worry about box it may well need prompt treatment.

ourmaninthenorth

Possibly kidney infection – my mother’s been ill for ages with one that she can’t shift. Had a hospital stay for it a couple of weeks ago.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    Some is outsourced many are run by NHS trusts. There’s a mixture of trained staff from call handlers to GPs.

It does work, sometimes, a lot is down to how people interrupt the questions.

Back when it was NHS Direct it was half decent. I rang it back then and got someone who went out of their way to book me in with a local night surgery they do at the local community hospital that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. They gave me some decent advice also over the phone.

I’ve heard bad things about 111 though. Aside from people I know saying they were useless, there was a bit on the radio the other day and some doctor was admitting they basically have cut all the proper medically trained staff (e.g. they used to be nurses etc) and now it’s call centre stuff just reading from sheets. They apparently have a trained GP or nurse to help out but at times they just aren’t available. Someone who worked in such a place was saying they were often given instructions saying “just do the best you can” and yet they had no medical training.

Cougar

I’m not a doctor, but if I was pissing blood I’d be kicking down the GP’s door ar 8:29 the next day.

My experience of NHS Direct was that their entire remit was to reassure people, “yes, it’s ok to see a doctor.”

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Back when it was NHS Direct it was half decent. I rang it back then and got someone who went out of their way to book me in with a local night surgery they do at the local community hospital that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. They gave me some decent advice also over the phone.

NHS 24 is absolutely fantastic. I’ve used it in numerous occasions, and have had brilliant service. And that’s not based on ‘folk I know’ or the radio.

outofbreath
    Free Member

My experience of NHS Direct: A few months ago SWMBO fell off her bike; went to casualty. When she was patched up they offered prescription pain killers which she declined. She was told that was fine but to call an out of hours doc if she changed her mind about painkillers. She woke up in the night in a great deal of pain. Our surgery answerphone didn’t state how to get the out of hours doc so I thought I’d save myself googling & call 111 get the number for the out of hours doc.

111 man was obviously blindly following a decision flow chart. I could sense where it was heading and made it 100pc clear this was a non-emergency situation and we’d already seen a doc and was in no way worth bothering casualty with. He started talking about ambulances. I emphatically told him we 100pc did not need an ambulance and did not want him so send one. 10 minutes later there’s an ambulance ticking over in the driveway. Ambulance crew told us it happened all the time and that once NHS direct started call outs for ambulances increased to an insane degree.

For us NHS direct took a trivial situation and cranked it up to DEFCON 9.

Never, ever again.

crankboy
    Free Member

Our experience of NHS divert we called in the middle of the night with an issue regarding crankbrat my wife who knows what she is talking about was forced to work through the script despite her protestations , got to has your child got a rash? “No its his breathing ” please check for a rash ” WE CALLED ABOUT HIS BREATHING ” please check for a rash . wife puts phone on floor next to child checks for rash picks up phone NHS divert guy says “was that your child I could hear i’m dispatching a Dr now.”
    So scripts but not necessarily muppets.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d add the caveat that I’m talking of NHS24 Scotland.

It’s entirely possibly that darn sarf it’s pish.

Drac

Yeah that’s sadly one of the things that the questions can lead to outofbreath.

Deadkenny when I’ve spoken to them there’s certainly Dr’s and nurses there. I’ve even seen them in the flesh when visiting the call centre. My experience is through work rather than a radio call in.

Cougar

<pedantic irrelevance>

For us NHS direct took a trivial situation and cranked it up to DEFCON 9.

1) DEFCON goes from 1 to 5 and

2) DEFCON 1 is the highest, not 5.

</pedantic irrelevance>

outofbreath
    Free Member

Due to concern over that mistake I’ve raised myself to:

DEFCON RED.

😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

Due to concern over that mistake I’ve raised myself to:

DEFCON RED.

….which is one level below DEFCON BROWN 😯

twixhunter
    Free Member

If it happened just once after the ride and either subsided or disappeared following subsequent trips to the loo then I reckon it could be haematuria. I’ve had this a few times after long distance running where I’ve not be hydrated enough or emptied my bladder prior to the exercise and not sufficiently redhydrated. It’s the bladder walls rubbing against eachother.

Eitherway as others have said get to docs asap.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you tried squirting some GT85 into it or wrapping it up with duct tape?
    Seems to fix most things I find. 😀

IANAD (Obvs)

Stevet1
    Free Member

So its either

NHS Choices says it’s usually not life threatening but do go and see your GP.

Or

happened to the husband of someone i work with, ignored it the first time, went to the docs the 2nd, cancer, dead within a year

Glad you asked?

outofbreath
    Free Member

So its either

Yup. It sounds like the OP probably needs to be at DEFCOM RABBIT but there’s an outside chance he might need go to DEFCOM Z.

natrix
    Free Member

So long as it doesn’t get to DEFCON CATZ you’re probably OK :mrgreen:

DrP

..then I reckon it could be haematuria

Well, haematuria is the ‘symptom or complaint’.
    The cause of the haematuria is yet to be clarified or identified..

DrP

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cue embarrassing story..

This mate of mine, yeah, was falling asleep in a hot bath one night about 10 years ago and in that moment of being asleep but suddenly awaking realised he was about to unleash the enormous full bladder he had been holding in but was too lazy to do anything about… and without thinking clasped the end of his old fella’s skin suit tight – thus leading to a weird mexican stand-off situation between bladder that will no longer be held back – and foreskin that can only swell like a balloon so far…

So, following an excruciating shooting pain right along the love tunnel the fleshy grasp is released along with a million invisible tiny needles – jabbing their way along the inner workings before being released into the air along with a great golden geyzer. Ending (horrifically) with around a teaspoon of blood dripping out the third eye..
    That is somewhere that you truly never ever expect to see blood drip from, and if you ever do – trust me, it’ll freak you out like a good’un.

Several weeks of passing the devils razor blades and attempting to hold the flow back to a dribble each and every time a slash was required, later – eventually my tattered urethra healed itself up from the inside.
    I mean my mates urethra.

Moral of the story?
    Well there’s 2. Firstly, your inner workings are incredibly robust, so have faith that you’ll come good.
    Secondly, pi$$ing in the bath is actually good for your health.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Blood in urine, should I be worried?’ is closed to new replies.