Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • blocking driveways.
  • Smee
    Free Member

My **** of a next door neighbour has started parking his van over the front of our driveway. I could get out if I opened my other neighbours gate. Do I get the ignorant **** to shift the van or open the other neighbours gate?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I believe it’s now a specific offence to park adjacent to a dropped kerb / block driveway access. You can report it and get tickets issued to him (even if there aren’t any lines painted.

Pretty sure this is right, but you may want to double check

MrNutt
    Free Member

just snap off his driver side wiper and wear it like a trophy tucked into the brim of your hat?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Had this problem for years with the ignorant church goers to the catholic church opposite my house.
    My side entrance is a small lane with a dropped kerb and even now the council have put a white line to show its an entrance they still block it

Really bad this time of year because they are gagging for it with the run up to Easter, apparently the old bill can do nothing unless you cannot get back in as opposed to getting out.

No answer to peoples ignorance, good luck, but fear you are going to be wasting your time

Fagus
    Free Member

My parents had this problem. Solved it by buying an old trailer for £50 out of the local paper, and chained it to the lampost outside their house. Nothing anyone could do about it.

grahamh
    Free Member
    jonb
    Free Member

Hire a private firm to control parking, get him clamped or towed away.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Smee, if it’s causing an obstruction, it’s most probably going to be down to the police to sort it, if you can get them to respond to it.

PDF, technically yes, TMA 2004, however, local authorities might not yet have adopted the powers, I know mine are stillin the process.

TT, I find it near impossible to find two coppers who agree on what the details of obstruction are. Most don’t even know it’s their responsibility and pass you onto the local authority, especially if they cover parking issues.

Fagus, not strictly try as what they’ve done is obstruct the highway. I think this one is RTA 1984. The local authority has the power to remove it, especially if it’s chained to their lamp column.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Found this on the web

Sec 243 of the Highway code forbids a motorist to ‘park in front of the entrance to a property’. This is now covered by The Traffic Management Act 2004 made it illegal to park next to a dropped kerb.

Exceptions are:

When you’re in a parking space
    When you’re parked outside residential premises with the consent of the occupier of the premises — as long as you’re not paying for parking.
    When loading or unloading for 20 minutes or less.
    When undertaking works such as gas and water, or road works.
    When it’s an armed forces vehicle — so a parking a tank across your neighbour’s driveway is OK
    Double parking is also now illegal — you’ve got to be within 50 cm of the kerb. Exceptions are as above, although the law does allow you to stop to allow people in and out of the car.

Fixed penalties could be up to £80 for the offence. In London penalty charges can be issued by a council appointed warden.

Fagus
    Free Member

Try asking him not to park there. When he tells you to eff off, report him for road rage. Make sure you say a road rage assault, and plod has to investigate.

snaps
    Free Member

I complained about this last year & the Police did nothing but then the council painted the white ‘T’ bar line on the road & told me that defined an area that the Police could use to issue an obstruction parking ticket giving definate point at which the parking can be described as obstructive & not just leaving it up to an individual to judge it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

snaps, a white H bar doesn’t have a legal order behind it and is purley advisory. It doesn’t make any difference which is why some places don’t bother with them anymore.

Isn’t it funny what the people who should know end up telling people who need to know.

snaps
    Free Member

I know its not illegal to park on it but it gives a defined point at which it becomes an obstuction & a parking ticket can’t be argued against on the grounds of ‘I left just enough room’ or ‘a decent driver could get a bus through’ & our council have encouraged the Police to use it as such.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s amazing how people bicker over parking. I heard two guys the other day in a heated debate as to where his driveway was the hign end of the tapered kerbs while the other guy was insisting it was the low end of the tapered kerbs!

aP
    Free Member

Just buy an old Land Rover and make a mess of getting in and out.

BoardinBob

Hire a private firm to control parking

A private parking company has no right to monitor/ fine parking on a public road.

In fact they’ve no right to do it on private ground either but that’s a rant for another day…

Smee
    Free Member

800W of Salva Mea worked a treat. 😀

hora
    Free Member

smee contact your council. Where we live we often have Man Utd parkers as its a wide open close with no parking rstrictions. If someone did park across a drive a quick call, and a ticket. Its not happened to us and its quite rare. I guess people are worried about coming back to a damaged car.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ask them nicely explain the problem hope they play nice.
    If not some of the above.

takisawa2

Try speaking to him, not confrontational just explain your point. He might see your point but be prepared to compromise, its the best way in this day & age. If he’s a cock get the fuzz involved.

We had letters again this week from our new WCPO, due to half kerb/half road parking along our street. The kerb is dropped for the whole length of the street but still this young WCPO decided that we need to be parked fully on the road. Quite funny really, people have been parking like this since the estate was built in the 1960’s (so I’m told by my elderly neighbour).
    Fast forward to bin day, & they cant get a bin truck down the road…& the fuzz kindly asked people to park half/half again.

I honestly think that in areas where parking is a problem the council should be made to waive the stupid £300+ fee for people wishing to have a dropped kerb so they can park off the street.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I used to have a problem with a woman parking across the drive I used for my weekend car (rented a neighbours drive) – because I didnt use it much she thought that parking on the road directly in front of the drive was ok, despite the fact that the person she was visiting didnt use their own drive and no-one ever parked in front of that house so there was plenty of room.

I started off being nice about it and just knocking on the door of the person she was visiting and explaining that I wanted to get my car out. On the third time I pointed out, in a raised and angry voice so the family she was visiting could hear, that it really doesnt take a whole heap of intelligence or effort to park 2m further forward actually in front of the house she was visiting, so as to leave other people space to get out. She still continued to argue that all I had to do was knock and ask her to move it, but she never did it again. Sometimes people just appear to have zero common sense.

sootyandjim
    Free Member
    jimmy

Really bad this time of year because they are gagging for it with the run up to Easter

PMBL. Just can’t get enough of the lord’s lovin, huh?

spooky_b329

apparently the old bill can do nothing unless you cannot get back in as opposed to getting out.

I thought it was the otherway round!

Parking is tight round here so the lazy neighbours double park instead of finding a space further up the road, which meant earlier this week my gf had to sit in the car blasting the horn at 6.30am until some woman that doesn’t know the word ‘sorry!’ emerged from several doors up. The lack of any apology resulted in my gf giving her a mouthful about how some people have got to get to work and her not putting a note with house number in the window which was completely out of character – I was very impressed 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Double parking is illegal.
    Using your horn while stationary and between 11pm and 7am is also illegal. Two wrongs and all that.

trademark
    Free Member

Spooky_b329; you are correct, it IS the other way round.

tyke
    Free Member

Had a friend who had a driveway that people would park in front of on a regular basis. As it was the same few cars all the time he got some really sticky A4 “posters” made up asking people not to park in front of his drive. They were a real bu**er to scrape off and it soon stopped the silly sods parking there.

Onzadog
    Free Member

sticky wicket on that one. it could be classed as interference with a vehicle.

spooky_b329

Using your horn while stationary and between 11pm and 7am is also illegal.

Next time I’ll remind her to make sure she accidentally beeps the horn whilst attempting to get out of the space 🙂 She does that anyway…

samuri
    Free Member

you’ve got to be within 50 cm of the kerb.

I best let my wife and her sister know, I have no idea how they’re going get their cars that close to the kerb.

coffeeking
    Free Member

lol spooky, I have to admit I’ve done that a few times myself – I’ll pipe down now!

richmars

Lots of good advise here:

[/url]

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Why not just ask him nicely rather than risk a dispute with your neighbor you have to live next to for the foreseeable future.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Amen brother Will!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘blocking driveways.’ is closed to new replies.