Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Block paving course, are they having my trousers down?
  • mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Hi all, I signed up for a 1 week block paving and slabbing course which started yesterday, the course involves working on actual jobs.
    Upon arriving on the course we were told by the tutor we would be ‘done by Thursday giving us Friday off’ I’m on a course that I’m paying for I don’t want Friday off!
    So for 2 days now me and the other 2 students have basically removed a decking structure, removed a hedge, removed all the old slabs from the front and back of the property and dug out by hand all the soil out filling a whole large building skip. We have then started to lay a membrane over the other half of the back garden and cover it with pebbles??? We are yet to lay a block and have only just started to put the mot down.
    This isn’t right is it? I’m feeling a right mug paying to be a labourer, bugger it!!!!

irc

No idea about the paving but would you be interested in buying a bridge?

Tiger6791

I’m feeling a right mug paying to be a labourer, bugger it!!!!

and yet you answer your own question….

However watch, learn, suck it up and then nick his business

angeldust
    Free Member

Has he asked you to fetch a long weight from the van yet? Sounds like you should be at that stage by now.

jb72
    Free Member

At least you’ve got Friday off!

mudshark
    Free Member

How did you find out a about this and how were you convinced that it was a real training opportunity?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is this your boss?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It’s an actual training company, I did a plumbing with them course recently and it was very good, this however is shite

bruneep

does the training provider live here

pk13

Did you post this on the 1st of April..
    Your being held against your will by those traveler types are you?

Ah 1 minute too slow

mudshark
    Free Member

How did they persuade you that doing tasks that aren’t to do with laying block paving are relevant to your training?

timidwheeler

Unless the course tutor is Mr Miyagi, you are being ripped off.

bodgy
    Free Member

Worked for a block paving company for about eight months, in my early twenties. Yes, it is a technical trade (bloody backbreaking too) with a huge difference between ‘companies that can do block paving’ and ‘block paving companies that offer a ten year guarantee’. I worked for one of the latter – had to leave when I was offered a managerial post . . . but just didn’t want it (too interested in partying, at the time).

TBH that sounds like a fairly average job, give or take the presence of a mini digger. I would have thought that you’d have levels staked, boundary footings dug out and concreted in place by now, tho, with substrate laid and compacted. That said, it’s only Tuesday – you’d be surprised how quickly paving can go down. It’s the finishing bits that make a good job; accurate cutting and levelling. If they aren’t paying exact attention to screeding the sand for drainage / run off levels then you really should be worried.

Do you have an outside training provider that you can question? Or have you solely dealt with the company? Perhaps call the adult education dept at the council and see what they have to say? But stick with it – you might be surprised.

If it sucks at the end of the week, kick off and try to get your money back. But always have a realistic expectation of what level of training you can gain from a one week course. Good luck.

Tiger6791

So why aren’t you a plumber ?

bodgy
    Free Member

@Tiger6791 – Don’t knock someone for trying out their options, eh?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

So why aren’t you a plumber ?

It’s because I buy houses do them up and sell them on, I do do the plumbing on those.
    I’m currently having an extension built where I need to block pave so I thought I’d learn it to save money. The course is rubbish I bought in in good faith.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I could have taught you all you need to know (will learn in a week) from here for free in an hour. And if not, paving expert and a good dose of methodical planning using their guides would have done. I’d be sacking tomorrow off (today but I can’t sleep due to thinking of construction projects) as it’s going to piss down!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Where are you Wrightyson? I’m in! 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Whoever is “running” this little trainng scheme should be also offering some business strategy type courses because his is brilliant 😆

corroded
    Free Member

I run a lawn-mowing course, if you’re interested. We start you off small but with the skills we teach you you’ll soon be mowing lawns of all sizes.

woody21
    Free Member

Is it an NVQ programme – if so you will need to complete units etc. Have you paid for the course?

spekkie
    Free Member

Let me know if you want to do a similar “Landscaping a sloping garden (in Spain) from scratch” course . . . I might be offering one soon 🙂

leffeboy

How much did the course cost? It’s bordering on genius BUT it does depend on how much you were paying for your week of training.

hora
    Free Member

I need my front drive redoing, what should you expect to pay in the NWest?

LeeW

I may be oversimplifying block paving but wouldn’t watching a few ‘how to’ videos on the internet and a methodical, details approach to your own job be enough? Or were you specially looking for a qualification/certificate?

senorj

Sounds like it.
    Were you the only “student” on the “course”?
    Did all the other “students” speak with an accent?
    Did the gangmaster ,err tutor, look like the other “students”?

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Ok, the course is offered by a private building trade training provider all legit. This particular course offered no qualification but is supposed to be a comprehensive hands on course.
    Yes I have paid for the course, should of been £250 according to the website but due to a late cancellation I was offered it for £100.
    I emailed the training company last night with my ‘concerns’ I’m yet to hear back. I’m not going back in without speaking to them. I’m contemplating asking for my money back and binning it as there’s still 5 tons more of materials to lug about.
    In the rain!
    Edit: there’s 2 other students with me on the course.

mudshark
    Free Member

should of been £250 according to the website but due to a late cancellation I was offered it for £100.

there’s 2 other students with me on the course.

Are the others happy? What did the others pay for this training? Maybe you are getting a relative bargain.

Rubber_Buccaneer

paving expert and a good dose of methodical planning using their guides would have done

This^ Paving Expert is a great site for the clueless like me. I think you have learnt something from your course but it isn’t block paving 🙂

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Just spoken to the training provider and they agree what we have been asked to do is unacceptable, they have taken my complaint very seriously and have addressed my points with the tutor.
    I have been offered my money back and/or extra days block paving training f.o.c.
    I will go in tomorrow when the tutor has done his share of the labouring and hopefully learn the paving side. If it doesn’t reach my expectations I will be getting my money back.

jeffl

Result 🙂

the-muffin-man

They were leading you up the garden path then!

footflaps

Maybe you are getting a relative bargain.

Well someone is getting a bargain, 4 days labouring and paying £100 for the privilege!

natrix
    Free Member

As well as the website ‘paving expert’ has done a book which should tell you all you need to know 8)

TheBrick
    Free Member

You are there now and have paid. Try to make the most of it and get as much Info of the guys as possible.

bails

I have been offered my money back and/or extra days block paving training f.o.c.

😆
    So more free labour?

Cougar

TBH,

I’d expect a course like this to involve a degree of preparatory work. Making the ground level, that sort of thing. But if the site needed clearing first – digging out hedges, shifting of decking etc – I’d have expected that to be done in advance.

If I were in your gardening boots, I wouldn’t just be looking for a refund, I’d be seeking a day’s wages. What’s the going rate for a labourer these days? £100 should cover it I reckon.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It did occur to me to stick an invoice in for my labour 😛
    I wasn’t against doing some groundwork as it’s prep work that needs doing it was just the amount that I objected to.

chakaping
    Free Member

They were leading you up the garden path

😆

No input to make, I just felt this needed to be acknowledged.

project
    Free Member

a few years ago there was a company offering auto locksmithing courses quite a few hundred quids per course,looked all proffesional etc it then appeared they took you to a scrap yard and showed you how to open car doors, then sold you tools at high prices, they soon closed down.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Block paving course, are they having my trousers down?’ is closed to new replies.