Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • *BLINKS*
  • ro
    Free Member

She'll burn more calories that wittle Ro running in his wittle aircon bubble

Y'see, that just PROVES you know bugger-all about exercise physiology. Enlighten him someone…

iDave
    Free Member

Heard of EPOC Ro?

Know what the greatest waste product is from exercise?

Know the calorie cost of dealing with it?

No, course not, cos' you're just a medic

Enjoy your jogging adventure….

ro
    Free Member

Why are the sharks just off Quy Nohn, Ro?

did you spell Nhon incorrectly because you're mischievous, Elf, or aren't you good at copying down letters?

bigyinn
    Free Member

We have no quarrell with his GF, go about your business.

ro
    Free Member

heard of EPOC? *splutter* i lectured for SUUNTO on it in KL and Singapore a year or so ago. go google.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sorry we forgot that.

iDave
    Free Member

what kind of troll are you?

spouting shit then claiming that you should have enough knowledge not to spout that kind of shit?

unless you still think that exercise in heat and humidity won't burn more calories than the same total work done in an aircon'd gym

i want a refund….

ro
    Free Member

i want a refund….

no, what you need is a basic grounding in cell metabolism. or maybe just an education beyond standard grade?

iDave
    Free Member

so, they let you play with a stethoscope even though you think exercise in heat doesn't result in more calories burned than the same workload in cool air?

is that what you believe? wow. you're annoying, smug and thick. your mummy must be so proud

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Chap spits the dummy and is temporarily banned from an internet forum; comes back onto said forum to bait people in self-important manner, presumably for his own amusement. By pointing out that they're on an internet forum.
    You come across really well, ro, really well. Not petty at all.
    I'm sorry you were banned form this forum, and people were unpleasant to you, but do you have to get all weird about it?
    And you lectured for Suunto? Awesome. Any other fun facts you want to share with people on here?

bigyinn
    Free Member

ro, perhaps you should do your research before slagging iDave off for his lack of knowledge……..
    Of continue and make yourself look even more foolish.

ro
    Free Member

ro, perhaps you should do your research before slagging iDave off for his lack of knowledge……

if your chum would care to post links to the relevant research papers i'll gladly wolf down some humble pie. 2 seconds on pubmed produced this:

Energy requirements of military personnel.

Tharion WJ, Lieberman HR, Montain SJ, Young AJ, Baker-Fulco CJ, Delany JP, Hoyt RW.

Military Nutrition Division, US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine, Kansas Street, Natick, MA 0176-5007, USA. william.tharion@na.amedd.army.mil
    Abstract

Energy requirements of military personnel (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines) have been measured in garrison and in field training under a variety of climatic conditions. Group mean total energy expenditures for 424 male military personnel from various units engaged in diverse missions ranged from 13.0 to 29.8 MJ (3109-7131 kcal) per day. The overall mean was 19.3+/-2.7 MJ (mean+/-SD) (4610+/-650 kcal) per day measured over an average of 12.2 days (range 2.25-69 days). For the 77 female military personnel studied, mean total energy expenditures for individual experimental groups ranged from 9.8 to 23.4 MJ (2332-5597 kcal) per day, with an overall mean of 11.9+/-2.6 MJ (2850+/-620 kcal) per day, measured over an average of 8.8 days (range 2.25-14 days). Women, presumably due to their lower lean body mass, resting metabolic rate, and absolute work rates, had lower total energy expenditures. Combat training produced higher energy requirements than non-combat training or support activities. Compared to temperate conditions, total energy expenditures did not appear to be influenced by hot weather, but tended to be higher in the cold or high altitude conditions.

PMID: 15604033 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]

he last sentence on the abstract appears relevant

iDave
    Free Member

keep up ro, the article you cite is not related to comparing total calorie cost of running in heat and running in aircon environment.

thermal stress causes excess energy consumption in the recovery period – agreed?

you can undertake more total work in cooler temperatures, but for the same given exercise workload, overall you will burn more calories exercising in heat due to the energy cost of returning the body to homeostasis post-exercise.

which of course you know……

bigyinn
    Free Member

I warned you troll boy, but you always know best, smart arse.

ro
    Free Member

and of course you'll also know that the whole EPOC/ homeostasis argument is coming under increasing re-evaluation by our Finnish chums who did most of the work in the first place. it was always questionable, and now it looks as though the basic science may be skewed. i'm more pissed than you are, 'cos EPOC was a very promising concept and SUUNTO's implementation of it very elegant.

i know what you're suggesting, but you're coming at it from the wrong angle. to suggests that calorie expenditure for a given running speed on a treadmill is increased during exercise in heat vs exercise in cold is simply incorrect, and you know it 🙂

CountZero

Re: sharks.

Climate change and the construction of ports and wharves near the shore are cited as major reasons for the arrival of sharks at these beaches.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘*BLINKS*’ is closed to new replies.