Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bling bolts and stuff – what would you buy?
  • benz
    Free Member

Assuming mixed sets of anodised alu or even titanium…

What would you buy?

Bottle cage bolts?

Brake rotor bolts (torx)?

Crank bolts?

Chainring fittings?

Brake caliper bolts? (Not sure about this – alu strong enough? Titanium better?)

Gear shifter mount bolts?

Brake leve mount bolts?

Red, Gold, Pink, Blue, Black, Orange, Green. Any other colours?

bassspine
    Free Member

🙄

benz
    Free Member

Sorry friend, don't understand your response.

I'm doing a bit of research for a mater who is contemplating selling on ebay given his current job is looking precarious and he has a recent addition to the family.

Looking for sensible responses on basis of what the STW massive would purchase.

Thanks!

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

You ask the question what would I buy. I give you the answer no bling bolts on my bikes because I'm not a tart.

crikey
    Free Member

Mountain biking is still a relatively small market in terms of numbers; compare it to kids bikes for example. The number of mountain bikers who do their own fettling is smaller still, and the number who might be interested in fancy bolt kits is even smaller.

So it's a tiny market with already established players in terms of bike shops…

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I suspect it's not going to make any decent money…

…edit; and people are turning away from eBay given its reputation, hassles with paypal, etc.,

simon1975

As someone who does his own fettling, I buy what I need rather than buying kits. I can usually find metric bolts for sale that aren't bike-specific.

Onzadog
    Free Member

If I need bolts (not often as most stuff comes with them) I'll usually buy what I need in small batches. Stainless if it's not a strength critical part. But the weight the price of Alu and Ti just doesn't interest me. I did that back in the anodised days.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Except for Ti, I use a local fasteners that does a good range of steel and stainless steel. I'll get the odd Ti bolt whenever, but I've got all I need, thanks.

sputnik
    Free Member

Coloured valve caps, but your mate will won't be getting rich soon.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm doing a bit of research for a mater who is contemplating selling on ebay given his current job is looking precarious and he has a recent addition to the family.

I'd tell him not to bother, already loads of people doing it.

FWIW, I have alu bolts on my brake levers, gear shifters, bottle cages and headset, Ti bolts on my stem, disc callipers, and rotor bolts, all in silver.

The one area which I personally would not have Ti bolts again is on a seat post and seat clamp, I've found the torque involved can sometimes round the bolts off.

From experience Pro Bolt are the best company on the net.

ianpinder
    Free Member

The only time I bought chainring bolts for the reason of changing the colour was when I bought black ones to replace the gold ones that came with the saints.

Drac

Valve caps but only need another pair. He really is entering an already flooded market.

benz
    Free Member

Thanks all. Assuming you lot are representative of the cycling community as a whole then I'll provide this feedback.

Must just be me who got excited by the bags of pink ano samples and then quickly got some onto my wifes bike.

Seriously, appreciate it.

Drac

Far from you there's loads of freaks out there but the market seems to supply them well enough.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Assuming you lot are representative of the cycling community as a whole

This is STW.

Its not faintly representative.
    😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bling bolts and stuff – what would you buy?’ is closed to new replies.