Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Blind bearing puller
  • 2tyred

Got a Stans hub with a disintegrated bearing, where only the outer race remains in place and I’m struggling to get it out. There’s a slight ridge I can catch a flat-headed screwdriver on but only if I enter the hub shell from the same end as the stuck race (if that makes sense). Don’t want to try and chisel it out from there, as it’ll deform the outer shell.

Is this what a blind bearing puller is for, where you can’t punch out the bearing from the opposite end?

And if so, can anyone recommend a useful one at a price that makes it a realistic once-every-two-years home job, rather than LBS?

40mpg

Yes. I found one on eBay for about £25 with 4 different sized pullers and slide hammer. Works a treat on hope hubs.

It’s in red plastic case if you eBay search blind bearing puller

Edit like this
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-Inner-Blind-Bearing-Puller-Set-Remover-Internal-Slide-Hammer-Tool-Kit-Case/263283068992?hash=item3d4ce4d040:g:64YAAOSwcj1Z-tts

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I have one of these and they’re brilliant for what you need, felt daft for not getting one sooner! If you’re near Stroud you can borrow mine, pm if so!

2tyred

That looks the very ticket, cheers. Saw a load of similar ones and couldn’t work out what on earth I needed.

2tyred

Cheers dicky – bit far from Stroud unfortunately, but that’s a kind offer.

sobriety
    Free Member

Nottingham? I have one on the shelf you can use.

2tyred

Thanks man, too kind! I’m in Glasgow though, so still a good bit away. It’s cool, I’m keen to buy one anyway. Cheers all.

fibre
    Free Member

After experimentation I found two techniques using bog standard tools. I like a challenge!

1: Got lucky on a mm perfect sized socket to drift out the outer race with the socket extension bar and hammer.

2: Reassembling the bearing only using 3 balls. It’s the minimum amount you can reassemble it with, and also a lot easier to reassemble.

-Stand wheel upright as normal, small amount of grease inside outer race to keep balls in place when fitted.
    -Install 3 balls loose at the bottom of the race
    -Insert inner race whilst holding in place
    -Carefully push\rotate other two balls around the circumference so they are all equally spaced.
    -Drift bearing out as normal 😀

It can be fiddly but it’s worked on different bearings on various places on the bike.

fibre
    Free Member

21mm socket on the Hope hub if anyone needs to know.

I need to document my bodges more often, luckily I took a couple of pics on these.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Blind bearing puller’ is closed to new replies.