Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bleeding New Shimano Brakes – Funnel
  • Taz

Is this the funnel I need that they reference in the instructions

Shimano BR-M575 Disc Brake Bleeding Kit – SM-DISC

Looks like it but worried about the M575 reference

Fitted a new XT set front and rear. Shortened both hoses. Front works great, rear needs bled (even though I did them both exactly the same as far as I can tell ??) 🙂 .

willber
    Free Member

yes thats the one.

u can use a plastuc syringe too

Taz

Cheers

Will try the syringe first then (have plenty of those 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a funnel I don;t need anymore, email in profile if you want it for cheap.

kayak23

This guy does it real easy, can’t say I’ve found it so straightforward just yet. Miss the ease of Hope bleeding..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5b8NM4jVU[/video]

mikey74
    Free Member

You don’t generally need to bleed Shimano brakes: I never have. All I do I rotate the cyclinder so it is level with the ground, take the cap and the seal off, and then squeeze the brake lever a few times.

You will see the air bubbles coming out and continue until they don’t appear any more. Job done.

Even cutting the hose doesn’t usually require a bleed.

wordnumb
    Free Member

You don’t generally need to bleed Shimano brakes: I never have.

Yep. I’ve had an unopened litre of mineral juice sat on the shelf for ages. Might try putting some in the sodastream.

footflaps

I just put rubber bands on the levers, holding them to the bar, over night and the air seems to find its way to the reservoir in the lever. Just top it up and you’re done. Never had to use a syringe in 10 years of disc brake fettling…

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Mikey – could you explain a little more about your bleeding technique 🙂 not quite got the orientation clear in my head from what you describe….do you rotate brake lever so it’s parallel with ground? By cap and seal I assume you are referring to older shimanos – the new ones have just a bleed screw….no cap and seal as such.

Cheers mate

Mister-P
    Free Member

The 575 lever was the first model to use the funnel hence the reference. It is the correct part though.

mikey74
    Free Member

Mikey – could you explain a little more about your bleeding technique not quite got the orientation clear in my head from what you describe….do you rotate brake lever so it’s parallel with ground? By cap and seal I assume you are referring to older shimanos – the new ones have just a bleed screw….no cap and seal as such.

Ahhh OK. It sounds like they have changed the design then. I’ve used Shimano for about the last 10 years and have never bled any of them per se (unless changing the oil).

The SLX I currently have are a couple of years old.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I found a Reverb bleed kit syringe perfect for the newer Shimano levers.

I recently replaced a knackered lever with a new one, screwed an empty syringe onto the lever bleed hole, stuck a full one onto the caliper, forced the fluid from the caliper up to the lever, it was about a 1/3 full when it stopped bubbling. Closed everything off, put it all back together & that was it. It took about 3 minutes in total. I was expecting a massive faff, but completely the opposite 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding New Shimano Brakes – Funnel’ is closed to new replies.