Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bleeding Elixirs – any 'not in the manual' tips before……
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

… they go back…?
    About to give them one last try – it could be down to my technique but, given i can hear that 'air burbling through liquid / tight orifice' sound when adjusting bite point or in/out pad contact I cannae help but wonder if they do need to go back.
    They're all but new, bled both as hoses had to be adjusted. We're 'solid' when bled but levers moved towards bar before pad contact during 1st ride, thought they'd 'settled' but both moved back even more this last ride – with new pads in at that – no, its not pad wear 🙂
    Any thoughts?
    C

tracknicko
    Free Member

leak somewhere/something not tight?

burbling noise is most likely fluid on top of diaphragm pushing out of breather hole in lever body, and thus not a problem…

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

I have same problem with my rear one. Was also like it from new.

Constant bubbling sound from lever (ie squelchy sound) when you pull on it. Constant drag by pads on disc no matter how they are adjusted. Also original pads lasted 10 miles in the wet. Replaced with originals and they lasted 20 miles or two thirds around Dalby. Put sintered pads in now but they squeal to high heaven and i get the vibrating issue that feels like it is going to rip the rear triangle from my Soda.
    Bled 4 times now but still no joy.
    Have emailed Fishers but had no reply.
    Going to ring them and then send it back.
    I have Mag CR's

stew1982
    Free Member

It took me a while to get mine bled properly, and the levers to "feel" right, but couldn't be happier now I've adjusted it all.

Ten saw instructions on how to bleed hope brakes – why are avid so much more complicated?!

marsdenman
    Free Member

leak somewhere/something not tight?

burbling noise is most likely fluid on top of diaphragm pushing out of breather hole in lever body, and thus not a problem…
    has been checked – they'll be bld, tightened up and double checked!

Also original pads lasted 10 miles in the wet

mine lasted less than that – though we're talking yorkshire grit and very wet…..
    the SSSC ones I finally got fitted to the rear on Saturday are, as ever (for me) fine – no squealing (unlike OEM) and stop better than the oem.

Overall – initial feeling is they are a great brake – when working right.
    If all else fails I already have authorisation to return them (Wiggle) but that leaves me without a bike (well without one I can stop safely)……. hence the fresh bottle of DOT and 'one last try.
    Cheers all.
    C

tracknicko
    Free Member

are they new? if so you should be able to sort them out. if not it might be a good old sticky piston.

you bleeding them as per instructions?

caliper, then hose, then lever body?

pads wound all the way out?

pushing fluid in with calli end syringe when releasing lever from bars?

marsdenman
    Free Member

yep, they're new and yes –

pushing fluid in with calli end syringe when releasing lever from bars?

i'm sure i'm doing that – forgor once to ofeten before when bleeding my old J7's…… 😉

mk1fan
    Free Member

The lever design does seem to trap air in the internals. I spent ages bleeding a set and each time I thought 'that's it' out came a few more bubbles.

Harder to do on the Elixir model but I wind the Pad Contact Adjuster 'In' one and a half turns from fully 'Out' before I remove the lever syringe. Makes up for the amount that comes out when you remove the syringe. Winding the PCA all the way out then gives a rock solid lever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Elixirs – any 'not in the manual' tips before……’ is closed to new replies.