Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bleeding Deore 596 brakes
  • dc2.0

Hi – I’ve got a set of the new deore 596 brakes like these. Need to trim the hoses and expect to have to bleed them thereafter.

What’s the process for this and what equipment do I need?

All the info I can find online suggests that I need to back-bleed them (i.e. fill from the caliper end) but that seems to require a special screw-in funnel at the lever end to capture the overflowing fluid.

I’d believe that was the only way to do it if those funnels were easier to buy. Given that I can only find one place to buy them, I’m guessing there’s another way..

BTW – have owned only Hopes before now, where the master cylinder has a reservoir that needs topping up while you fill from the lever end.. Will I be able to do the same thing here?

dc2.0

ignore me.. google is my friend..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you are careful you can usually get away without bleeding them afterwards .

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

We’re in the process of releasing a bleed kit for Shimano 2012 models. Give us an email via our website if you need further help on this one.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/

coatesy
    Free Member

For shortening the hose, all you’ll need to do is purge the air from the reservoir by using a head of fluid in the bleed bucket (make sure the O-ring stays on the bleed screw when you remove it), and flicking the lever (tilt it at various angles during the process to release trapped air)until no more bubbles appear. People will tell you it’s not necessary, but it’s simple to do, infinitely preferable to finding air in the brake system when in the middle of nowhere, and a good idea even on untouched new brakes too.

Scamper
    Free Member

I just followed the Shimano instructions for trimming the hoses and I didn’t need to bleed them after for a week in the Alps and i beleive the instructions state no bleeding should be required. Really easy to do, but needed the vice or something simular to hold the hose in place to hammer in the hose screw which is a more snug fit than something like Avids which screws into the hose.

In terms of expelling the air, if I recall just forcing back the calipers after shortening and reinstalling the hose while undoing the reservoir screw slightly got rid of most of the air build up. Having said that, when turning the bike upside down sometimes reintroduced some remaining air back into the system from the reservoir, but a few pumps of the brakes soughted that until i had time to do a full bleed a few weeks later using the yellow cup thingy.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Bump- any guides to this online (NOT shortening the hose) and a bit confused with this new lever..

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Anyone?

hainman
    Free Member

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/DiskBrakeSystem/SI_8KH0A/SI-8KH0A-001-Eng_v1_m56577569830750030.pdf
    I used this roughly to swap over my xt hoses a while back,no bleed and working fine…
    Hope it helps…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Deore 596 brakes’ is closed to new replies.