Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bleeding Avids!!
  • yoshimi

After stripping down my Avid Juicy 7’s last night – well, ok I had an incident which has now left me with zero fluid in the lever, caliper and hose – when it comes to re-filling – what is the procedure? Is it the same as for bleeding them? Any tip, for filling them and not ening up with loads of air in there?
    cheers

carlphillips
    Free Member

it should be the same as bleeding procedure, just keep doing it until no air left.

enjoy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

same as bleeding but fill it with fluid first (no syringe in bottom caliper) then bleed as usual … take abit longer to clear but not really harder

smurf
    Free Member

If you haven’t got a bleed kit I recommend you get on. It makes the whole job very easy

smurf

nukeproof
    Free Member

Also, in addition to the Avid instructions, make sure you force additional fluid in prior to removing the syringes.

treksimon
    Free Member
    yoshimi

Sweet lord…………………I’m gonna burn these &*()^&*^ brakes!!!

Thanks to Junkyard for supplying me with some inserts and olives (i will replace soon pal) – last night chopped down the hoses, no problems and began the blen process. I must have done this half a dozen times……still the lever is pulling all the way back to the bar………and I cant see any leaks anywhere. BTW I do have the correct bleed kit and eliminated all the bubbles.

So WTF is the lever still pulling all the way back………..after pulling the lever quite a few times (all the way to the bar) I hear a pfftt noise and think, what is that? I look down to discover mu jumper coverered inn brake fluid and a big hole about half way down the hose…looks like it has exploded!

I’m just sick of these things now – bring back my HFX9’s!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sounds a bit frustrating, but why blame the brakes for a hole in the hose that must have been there before? Just fit a new hose.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Out of interest where can I buy suitable syringes for bleeding brakes? I need to do my Hayes Nines and Juicys at some point in the future.

yoshimi

Sharkbait – this is just the next episode in a long running tale of brake woe – I must have just got a shonky set or something.

Badger – I’m pretty sure you’ll need two separate kits for each brake as with the Avids they are for those brakes only – be careful tho, some places charge upto £40 for the bleed kit but with some googling you should get one for less than £25.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I was just going to buy a big syringe and some tubing and diy it. Surely you don’t need any thing else bar brake fluid?

richc
    Free Member

Not 100% sure how you would thread the tubing into the reservoir port Badger, you might be able to bodge it over the caliper end tho, but that isn’t going to work very well when you are using suction to remove air bubbles.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Badger – I’ve used some vet/animal syringes (about 100mm long, 20mm dia) liberated from my Dad’s sheep farm medicine cabinet, along with some 4mm pnuematic hose and a freezer bag clip. Worked fine for bleeding Shimano which have a nipple to just push the tube onto – haven’t had to touch my Avid’s yet, but I guess they need the screw-in widget. No idea if your local vets would dish out syringes!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Avids!!’ is closed to new replies.