Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bleeding Avid Juicys from empty…?
  • Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Hi All,

Just finished rebuilding a set of Avid Juicy Carbons I picked up cheap. New pistons, seals etc and a lever rebuild. All ready to go now, just need to bleed them.

I’ve read the guides on the SRAM website and watched the YouTube vids but doesn’t seem to be any advice on bleeding from a completely empty system.

I’m hoping you guys can pass on any tips or experience you may have had doing this?

I’m thinking to fill the system from the caliper end with the bleed port on the lever open but no syringe attached, wait til the system is full then bleed as per the instructions. Any better ideas?

Thanks,

Stan

bigyinn
    Free Member

Although not juicys, I had a similar problem getting my XTs bled when I replaced the hoses. I found the easiest way to get started was to fill from the caliper up to the lever, just to get some fluid in there, as trying to pump it from the lever down just wasnt happening. Once done, you can then bleed as normal.

JonR
    Free Member

If you have an Avid bleed kit then what I’d do is attach it it all up but take the plunger out of the lever end syringe and use it as an overflow then fill the system from the calliper end. Then probably remove the bleed kit refill the syringes as per usual and bleed it again.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

My avids are bled with a syringe kit.

Get one of those and just syringe it in from the caliper end till it comes out at the lever syringe.

Maybe give it a 2nd bleed to be sure.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

uh… JonR beat me out the gate. 😀

stumpy01

Yeah, as above if you have the bleed kit, just stick an empty syringe on one end (I’d probably choose the lever) and a full one on the caliper. Do the de-gas thing on the full one before starting for the sake of thoroughness, then push through until it comes out into the lever syringe.

I’d probably then also do a full ‘avid bleed’ to get any trapped bubbles out.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I have the Avid bleed kit and the idea of leaving the lever end syringe open as an overflow sounds good.

Do you reckon the volume of the entire system will be less than 1 full syringe at the caliper end?

stumpy01

I’d say it’ll be close to 1 full syringe.

If it needs more, just close the crimp, remove the syringe from the tube (trying not to let any fluiid drip from the tube (as you’ll get an air bubble when you reconnect), refill the syringe, connect it back up & release the clamp.
    You’ll probably get a bit of air introduced, but you should give it a bit of a bleed anyway once you’ve filled it.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Thanks folks,

Sounds like that’s tomorrow’s mission then!

I’ll report back if I have any top tips after playing with them…

Cheers

Stan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bleeding Avid Juicys from empty…?’ is closed to new replies.