Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Blasts from the (musical) past
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Just fired up INXS Listen like Thieves after many years, still damn good

The Redskins “keep on keeping on” bet Binners has seen them

Stiff Little Fingers – alternative ulster

Wire Train

New Model Army

Cougar

Listen Like Thieves is one of the greatest albums no-one’s ever heard, in the shadow of Kick.

I’ve been meaning to start an “I’ve been listening to the wrong album” thread for some time now.

ajantom

Was in the car and put on Primal Scream’s Screamadelica and Give out but don’t give up. First time in years for both albums…..marvellous 😀

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Consider it started

Jet – Get Born
    The Cult – Love
    The Southern Death Cult (Fatman Moya)
    Spear of Destiny – One eyed jacks (well maybe not all of it)
    Cat Fish and the Bottlemen – The Balcony
    New Model Army – Vengeance

jekkyl

Blew the dust off some old house CDS over the weekend….To the beat of the drum, Bang! To the beat of the Drum ………..!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Saw INXS at Newcastle City Hall on the Kick tour..Sinead O Connor was the support act ..great band at the time and Michael Hutchence was as cool as fluck ..but I think they sound a bit dated now ..

jambourgie
    Free Member

Blew the dust off some old house CDS over the weekend….To the beat of the drum, Bang! To the beat of the Drum ………..!

La Luna!

Used to cane that back in le day.

colournoise

The The. Infected.
    Manic Street Preachers. The Holy Bible.
    Voice Of The Beehive. Let It Bee.
    The Cure. Disintegration.

stavromuller
    Free Member

I used to work with the drummer from New Model Army. He was a great lad but lived on nervous energy, if you tapped him he used to twang. Trouble was, once he’d had a drink, he was an absolute frigging liability.
    On our first trip to Rotterdam he got done for drink driving before we even got out of the port.
    On the second trip he started a bar fight and got knocked out, twice!
    On the third trip he got put in the brig on the return ferry.
    He was only 5′ 2″ but he was proper rock & roll and his cousin is the drummer with Iron maiden.

yossarian
    Free Member

Zounds – the curse of zounds
    System 7 – manik shamanik
    Steel Pulse – tribute to the martyrs

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah ha..
    [video]https://youtu.be/avAvkdYa3qM[/video]
    Posted it, just, on the Lepz thread but worth posting here..
    And
    [video]https://youtu.be/1o6_COmXy4E[/video]
    Just because .. it’s ace.. has to be played very loud..

kilo

Was due to see The Redskins in, iirc Brixton, but they split up just before, superb band, still got the 7″ of Lev Bronstein somewhere upstairs. INXS on the other hand are toss. (Op gets points back for SLF)

Saw voice of the beehive coulee of times, good band.

Any love for That PetrolEmotion?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

i think New Model Army’s Vengeance should be STW theme tune…

jonnyboi

I was listening to the Alarm whilst on the turbo yesterday.

And it struck me that my son is the same age as I was when I bought their first album….

lostmarbles
    Free Member

I’ve just got tickets for New Model Army – Night Of A Thousand Voices. Should be interesting

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Mike Peters Album the man in the camo jacket is worth a listen

jonnyboi

Saw that on apple music, will download it now. Thanks

kayak23

I just happened to fire up some old vinyl this eve whilst tweaking my rear wheel.

Culture Shock.
    Brilliant blast from the past.

[video]http://youtu.be/qD9zUlqPSSk[/video]

grannyringking
    Free Member

Wonder stuff eight legged groove machine

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve been groovin’ on down to the sounds of Dr Alimantado’s Best Dressed Chicken in Town, The Chantells Children of Jah and a Toots & The Maytalls compilation.

I is feelin well irie (man)

Pz_Steve

Oh man, this is taking me back….

– Voice of the beehive? Check.
    – Eight legged groove machine? Check.

It was just me and one (similar age) colleague in work between Christmas and New Year, and we ended out taking it in turns playing tracks from our youth. I’d forgotten just how much I like some of that stuff.

Icicle Works, anyone? Jesus and Mary Chain? Or how about the Immaculate Fools?

theotherjonv

Belly – Star

Touring later this year too!

RustySpanner

Was given this and had it lying around for years before actually listening to it….

Never a big fan of Lexicon of Love but this is pretty good.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Gone and downloaded lots of the above cheers all

CountZero

Belly – Star

Touring later this year too!
    Their new album Dove is currently in production, I’ve got tickets for their Bristol gig too.
    Really looking forward to both.
    Steve Lamaq is playing songs from the 90’s you never hear played on the radio, today he played a track by Tiger!
    Saw them two or three times, great band, got a couple of their albums.

jamj1974

Listen Like Thieves is one of the greatest albums no-one’s ever heard, in the shadow of Kick.

It is a great album of that time.

I would add:

James – Seven
    When The World Knows Your Name – Deacon Blue

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Saw NewModelArmy at Bingley Little Theatre in 1980something, Joolz, some bloke done up like invisible man, possibly Skeletal Family, was a Miners benefit gig I think. Also saw Southern Death Cult at the wharehouse in Leeds, maybe Death Cult at the Dortmunder, Leeds or very very early The Cult, no more than a hundred or 3. Saw The Cult a year later at Leeds Uni and there were thousands, but still good. Crass at Hedben Bridge 6 May 1982, I will never forget. Cramps, DK’s, Sisters….. 3 John’s at 1in12 club Bradford (where Southern Death Cult rehearsed their first gig before St.Georges Hall, their official first gig).

nick1962
    Free Member

A classic album against the grain of much of what was around at the time and not like anything else I was listening too [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhedKAhHqK8[/video]

hodgynd
    Free Member

Deacon Blue ? Has to be Raintown.
    Wishbone Ash ..Argus & There’s The Rub.
    Genesis..Foxtrot
    ELP..Tarkus
    Free..The Free Story ( g.hits)
    Earth Wind & Fire ..All n All..
    ..but then I am from a slightly different era to most !

Mister-P
    Free Member

I dug out The Streets – Original Pirate Material the other day. OK it’s only 15 years old so maybe not a true blast from the past but I’d forgotten how much fun it is.

senorj

Showaddywaddy! for the win.
    btw,
    I love listen like thieves & Kick too.
    & shabooh shoobah & The swing for that matter! Especially the song “don’t change” on Shabooh.
    Top marks for Southern Death Cult too. 🙂

Kilo – That Petrol Emotion – a lot of love here – not a bad record imo. & amazing live. I still regularly listen to them.

colournoise

+1 Eight Legged Grove Machine
    +1 Jesus and Mary Chain, even the underrated Stoned and Dethroned.
    +loads for That Petrol Emotion. Chemicrazy is an amazing album. Totally of its time but quite like nothing else around. Amazing vocals and Sensitize is pretty much a perfect pop song. Most of the band still going as a The Everlasting Yeah. Their album Anima Rising is with a listen if you haven’t already.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just found my old ipod so listening to a bunch of stuff I’ve not heard in years. Currently listening to Reverance by Faithless. So good!

cinnamon_girl

Youtube for Woodstock, currently being blown away by Canned Heat and Santana. And Janis of course. God I wish I had been there!

lister

Just downloaded lots of NewFADS yesterday and have been having a lovely gloomy time. Stockholm: what a track!

Pigface
    Free Member

Hoodoo Gurus all the time, some of the INXS back catalogue is very good.

Blondie Plastic Letters and the Stranglers have been aired lately.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Listening to fIREHOSE at the moment.

SaxonRider

REM’s Green is always good for a listen.

IHN

I’ve discovered Heart80s on DAB, and have taken to cooking the Sunday roast whilst enjoying the hits of Wet Wet Wet, Curiosity Killed the Cat and Haircut 100. Does that count? 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Blasts from the (musical) past’ is closed to new replies.