Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Blackburn Outpost Cage and Drybag?
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I have ordered one of these, as I want to get stuff out of my backpack when commuting or off roading; maybe achieving a backpack free ride!

https://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/cages/outpost-cargo-cage.html

Any thoughts on a suitable drybag and size? I want to buy UK made if possible.

I will have a crud guard underneath.

faustus

I bought 5l alpkit ones for mine, fit pretty well and best when they are quite full. Enough clearance for wheel and frame. Uk company but doubt many are made in the UK.

EDIT – wouldn’t go bigger size by the way, 3 litre might be a good size to try

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Cheers, I thought Alpkit were UK made, but no.
    Any UK makers?

I guess size is not so important as the weight, I will aim for just less than the quoted weight.

northshoreniall

I put my jetboil and brew stuff in a 3l bag and its fine. Also had 2l water bottle in other side last week with no issues, except tall bottle resting on underside of bar bag.
    Thing I found when playing with set up was watching out for bulk of what put in rack – I tried sleeping bag but it stuck out a bit so was worried would snag/ knock off stuff leading to me being ejected if rotated bars suddenly.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Cheers, I thought Alpkit were UK made, but no.
    Any UK makers?

I guess size is not so important as the weight, I will aim for just less than the quoted weight.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get 8l Alpkit bags on mine, but it’s a faff. The 5l ones would be perfect.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Try Lomo for drybags. UK made afaik.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Looks like they outsource it to other companies….

I have plumped for an Ortleib dry bag, I think they are made in Germany, so at least its not that far!

Any other UK manufacturers for kit?

scotroutes

I thought the Lomo stuff was made in Glasgow. Maybe that’s just the wetsuits.

AFAIK Blackburn stuff isn’t actually made in Blackburn.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I thought that may be the case…

Any thoughts on the straps? Are there more bungy cord things people are using?

midlifecrashes

Blackburn gear is named after Jim Blackburn, the founder. Made in USA, China or wherever. Company is now part of the same conglomerate as Bell helmets.

steezysix
    Free Member

The straps are actually really good, although it would be nice if they were a couple of inches longer. There’s a rubber or silicon style backing so they grip the drybag (or whatever) nice and securely, also they don’t slip through the buckles and become loose on rough ground.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

True, they look good. However I aiming to use it on the commuting bike, and will have to remove the bag and put back on again. So thats ten times a week… Just need a possible quicker alternative

northshoreniall

Quicker alternative than loosening a strap through a buckle? Time must be incredibly pressured in your commute!
    Surely a bungee has risk of stretching by being stretchy and lead to loose or bouncing loads?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

It can in the mornings! I have to base it round catching a train; 10 miles there then train and reverse in the evenings.

Just trying to be hassle free!

northshoreniall

I really can’t see how using the straps that come with it as a hassle to be honest. And they are damn secure as evidenced by me last weekend camping riding over rough ground loaded on rigid forks.
    If really looking for commuting marginal gains don’t fully undo strap and slide bag in and out?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Just an update, I fitted it to my Inbred under the top tube using two of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252972701273?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Blackburn Outpost Cage and Drybag?’ is closed to new replies.