Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Blackberry or Iphone.
  • duckman

While as much of a fan of shinynewkit as the next stw’er,it has never really extended to phones. Which would be better for; checking mails/stw, odd pic,phone calls( 😀 )not fussed about games, music. So Blackberry 9780 or iphone (3gs)? cost wise pretty similar, any advice/other suggestions welcome. Eg which is tougher?

Liftman

If you use email a lot then a Blackberry, if you want a toy then an iphone :mrgreen:

donsimon
    Free Member

email= Blackberry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

Looting=Blackberry

GrahamS

Wouldn’t touch an iPhone 3GS to be honest.

iPhone 5 will be out in October probably, at which point the 3Gs will be two generations behind, getting less and less support.

Beside the 3Gs camera is fairly crappy so not great for the “odd pic”

z1ppy

internet = iphone (or andriod phone of your choice)
    Unless you mean some sort of bb with a full screen not a half-arse-sized one

+1 for the iphone 4 though, or definitely a HTC thingy-me-bob

DrJ

Is the BB less prone to breaking after being dropped by a careless teenager? And is the BB messaging system better than alternatives?

lunge

if you’re going to be doing a lot of typing (text messages, e-mail, BBM, etc.) then a blackberry is the right tool for the job.

If you want to browse the web and/or use the apps then an iPhone is the better option.

midlifecrashes

tough=Motorola Defy, shockproof, waterproof Android phone

new model Defy+ coming shortly though.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

email= Blackberry.

Why on earth? iPhones and other smart phones all handle email just as well as Blackberries.

Travis

I like my iphone4, but it lacks the physical keyboard.
    I like a physical keyboard.

I’m disappointed with the news that the new BB doesn’t have a forward facing camera. I like my video chat with family when I’m away.

Anyway, back to OP.
    With the iphone5 coming out soon, I’d wait until the iphone4 price drops, then you’ll get a good deal.
    The difference between the 4 and the 3GS is noticeable and probably worth the extra wait.

GrahamS

I like my iphone4, but it lacks the physical keyboard.
    I like a physical keyboard.

£23 from Amazon

momo

I certainly wouldn’t get a 3Gs now, mine is horrendous with the latest OS on it, I’m currently waiting for Apple to get their arse in gear and release the 5 so I can upgrade.

Travis

@Graham
    oooooooooo
    And what is it called?

GrahamS

I certainly wouldn’t get a 3Gs now, mine is horrendous with the latest OS on it,

Mrs has a 3Gs and it is fine with the latest iOS (4.3.5)

Have you killed all your background tasks recently? That can help as it doesn’t have much memory.

warton
    Free Member

I grow sick of my phones after a year and cannot wait to upgrade. Had my iPhone 4 for 14 months now. will happily keep it for another 14 months. email is fine on it, internet and apps are unbeateable.

momo

Yes I kill them all fairly regularly, have done ever since iOS 4 came out. To be fair, my phone isn’t in the best condition, it’s been drowned at least twice and dropped countless times but still keeps on working.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Having been a committed Crackberry addict for some time (Have two at the moment, personal and work) my next personal phone will be Android, and probably a Defy+ if that comes out in a reasonable timeframe.

Reason? I now have a tablet as well, and so am using that more and more for my social email/skype etc while travelling and so the keyboard/email function of the Crackberry is less important.

duckman

Thanks for the heads up about the 3gs, I was swithering towards the iphone,based on the screen size.

khani
    Free Member

I have a work blackberry and a 3GS, I’m also a technological cripple,
    I feel the need to stamp on the blackberry and throw it through the window on a daily basis, the 3GS just works without any hassle

donsimon
    Free Member

I was swithering towards the iphone,based on the screen size.

If it’s a big screen you want, go for Samsung Galaxy S2. Kinhuge!

GrahamS

@Graham
    oooooooooo
    And what is it called?

That one is by Qubits, not sure exactly what it is called:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0052TI7ZY

But there are a ton of others ones available too. Just have a google for “iphone bluetooth keyboard”

ThinkGeek TK-421

BoxWave Keyboard Buddy

TypeTop Mini

Separate mini Bluetooth keyboard.

Waterproof flexible bluetooth keyboard

GrahamS

If it’s a big screen you want, go for Samsung Galaxy S2. Kinhuge!

Physically big, yes, but it’s a significantly smaller screen resolution than an iPhone 4.

(Nice phone though)

marting
    Free Member

BB far better for email. Plus battery lasts for days. iPhone needs daily recharging. BB more efficient with data use, so data charges are lower. Have had several BBs & iPhones, and travel a lot so experienced pretty much everything.

bruneep

HTC?

or

I have a blackberry Torch (unlocked) available if you’re interested?

konabunny
    Free Member

You have to try typing with both virtual keyboards and physical keyboards. I hate virtual so the BlackBerry is good for me.

BB = better for email, text input. BlackBerry Messenger seems to be better than iPhone equivalents. Syncing with iTunes is crap. Pretty durable in my experience, esp since they ditched the trackball. Been dropping mine regularly for a while and it still looks alright. Good battery life.

iPhone – better for media, integration with iTunes etc. Funkier. More glass = more fragile?

Either way, download WhatsApp for messaging services across different platforms.

duckman

Bruneep, thats nice…However O2 are going to let me pay their phone up over 12 months,so tell me your bank details and I will set up the DD 😀

randomjeremy
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

email= Blackberry.

Why on earth? iPhones and other smart phones all handle email just as well as Blackberries.

Not sure if troll or stupid.gif

TiRed

I have a BB Torch, and to be honest, I miss the instantly available physical keyboard. Mine is password protected and I always open it to unlock. I’ve had the Bold 9000 which was fantastic. The Bold 9780 is a little small unless you have tiny hands. There is an update coming – the Bold 9900, finally with the original form factor and touch screen. I also have a Playbook which talks to my BB, so I guess that makes me doubly sad.

If you are going to be doing a lot of typing, I’d go for a BB. If it’s mainly phone plus some apps (games) then an iPhone.

One last point, depending on age, a lot of teenagers are using BBM because it is very cheap instant messaging (and secure if that errr is of interest 😳 )

EDIT : apparently Bold 9900 is now available – I’d buy that. The new BB internet browser is a lot better than past efforts and the form factor is excellent.

IA

significantly smaller screen resolution

326 vs 218ppi, not a significant difference for most use. The extra screen space is more of a noticeable difference than the pixel density. (iphones up to the 4 were 163ppi for reference).

So the density is greater, yes, which makes things slightly nicer to look at. The SGS screen is nice and bright, nice colours, which makes things slightly nicer to look at. But you get more on the screen with the SGS2 cos it’s a bigger screen.

Screen wise, I think I prefer the SGS2, but there’s not a lot in it, pros/cons etc…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Based on observation at work:-

18 months ago we switched all the company phones to BBs. Since the word go, they’ve been roundly cursed. Regular failures, breakages, temper tantrums. Came across as an utter PITA. Almost 1/2 of the staff with BBs went out and bought their iphones with their own cash.

We switched to iphones a couple of months back. Other than the constant “has anybody got an iphone charger” call, they seem to have been faultless.

GrahamS

326 vs 218ppi, not a significant difference for most use. The extra screen space is more of a noticeable difference than the pixel density…you get more on the screen with the SGS2 cos it’s a bigger screen.

What I mean is the SGS2 screen is just physically bigger, but the iPhone 4 actually has more “screen space” (640×960 versus 480×800), so you can actually get “more” on an iPhone screen cos it’s higher res.

jackberesford
    Free Member

I sold my iphone and bought a bb 9780, much better imo. Better for email, camera and typing. Also expandable memory as you can put a micro SD card in, instead of the limited iphone memory

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Blackberry or Iphone.’ is closed to new replies.