Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Blackamoor — please don’t ride new trail
  • johnhorscroft
    Free Member

I’ve just had a chat with John Paul who is responsible for the Blackamoor nature reserve near Sheffield. For those who know it, he’s worried that riders are beginning to use a path that runs just east of the brilliant Devil’s Elbow bridleway. He’s asked that we put the word out that riders avoid the path as it’s an important habitat for red deer and nesting birds in season. Judging by the look of it, it’ll be a crap ride too, very muddy.

John Paul is a top bloke and friend of mountain bikers, so if everyone puts the word out, that’d be great.

cheers
    jh

swisstony
    Free Member

when you say east?? where is it if your at the devils eldow crossroads with the road up on your right and DE down to the left.

I’ve seen red deer around there a few times now, lovely to see.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

They wont listen got to get out on the trails at the weekend what ever the conditions.They do it in the woods near Cheltenham and Gloucester called Cranham and they are slowly totally F—- them up.Good luck hope they take notice.

petesam
    Free Member

ah, dobiejessmo – Cranham you say. Originally from there. Random. I reckon the hoards of sunday ramblers are worse…. anyway, sorry to hijack your thread jh

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Not many ramblers in Cranham few weirdos,mind there is alot in the Peaks thats ramblers not weirdos.Alot pressure in that area walker,MTbers,motobikes.Very quiet down ear Petesam.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

never ever seen deer in Blackamoor! As ST said, whereabouts is the ‘new’ track? is it the un-signed one carrying straight on where you turn right down devils elbow? Or have they built a new one?

johnhorscroft
    Free Member

Sorry chaps, probably wasn’t specific enough. In answer to Andy, yes, it’s the one that goes straight on if you’ve come down the trail that runs parallel to the road. There’s an obvious T-junction with Devil’s Elbow itself and a track heads off into the woods. I’ve heard rumours about DH boys sessioning it, strange really because from what I hear, it’s a mud bath from half way down. SWT are pretty supportive of MBs so it’d be good if we could help them out.

cheers
    jh

swisstony
    Free Member

John, that trail has always been there and i’ve been riding that for nearly 20 years so i was suprised to hear that bikers had started using it. I think the issue that John Paul is referring to is some new tracks that are built off from there, which run down into the valley where i assume the red deer must live/hang out. I haven’t seen them myself but apparently they run down from the wall after you climb up after crossing the little wooden bridge.

Anyway yes it is really muddy there at the moment (where isn’t on blacka)!

johnhorscroft
    Free Member

Hi Tony,

Yeah, there’s always been a faint track down that way but it’s much more obvious now. If we can just put the word out, I know John Paul would be really pleased. See you on DE sometime!

jh

ahwiles
    Free Member

“SWT are pretty supportive of MBs”

?

That’s the funniest thing i’ve heard in ages, go on, say it again, it’s hilarious!

🙂

matt_outandabout

Agreed about the DH boys accessioning stuff – there are rocks picked out on all the main descents with orange spray paint 😐
    Its a shame – there are some brilliant, legal routes there, and only bottom area of Devils Elbow is really badly affected by wet in the winter.
    I think some polite signs, some people out at a weekend having a pleasant word etc must be the way forward.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

It’s blocked off now anyway, shame that the bottom section of the Devils Elbow track is so bad. A little bit of work could make a passable walking/biking route above the mud while leaving a reasonable route for the horses through the mud (apparently horses don’t like northshore)

You can see a few lines emerging onto the bottom track, which must be the downhillers lines. They’re not very subtle where they finish onto the main valley bottom track!

Pook

anyone got a grid ref?

ahwiles
    Free Member

probably not wise to hand that sort of information out, the legal trail (a bridleway) is clearly marked, on maps and with signposts. if you go there, you’ll find it.

grahamh
    Free Member

dobiejessmo, I think you may be referring to some of riders!!
    The whole of the Cotswold’s to ride and they will go and do Cranham, week in week out..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Blackamoor — please don’t ride new trail’ is closed to new replies.