Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Black Mountains routes.
  • Dekerf853

Hi, visiting the Black Mountains in a couple of weeks and looking for routes for a good day out.
    There are lots of refences to a ‘Killer’ route, but some debate about the details, and even which way round to go.

Any recommendations for a definitive version (and direction!)?

Thanks.

BenjiM

There’s an MBO Score even there on the 23rd March. Couldn’t do much worse than entering to get a map and make your own route up!

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/details.php?event_id=512

40mpg

MTBBreconBeacons has everything you’ll need. The Gryn Fawr route is pretty much the recognised ‘Killer Route’.

I’ve always done it clockwise as the Y Das trail was unrideable in either direction, and I’d rather push up than down. Last time however they’d sanitised this bit so I reckon either way would be fine.

Where are you staying / starting from?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You can email I have gpx of route its better than the one on that site. And clockwise is best.Mine cuts back through the forest on the west. Its fire road climbs but you get a great descent once you get to the top. Cuts out road.

T1000
    Free Member

Anticlockwise! lots more interesting extras to add on this way

welshfarmer

I happen to live/farm smack in the middle of the Blacks. Tell me what type of ride, how long, steep, gnarly etc you want and I will suggest you a route or 2.

Dekerf853

Pawsy_Bear, no email in your profile, I’d love a GPX file though. My e-mail is jimpalmer10 at gmail.com

Actually stying in ‘Monnington on Wye’, slightly to the East, so probably a short car journey.

Welshfarmer, 4 – 5 hours. Looking for some big views and fun descents, but nothing really gnarly. And a good lunch stop. 🙂

Thanks all.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Dekerf858,the site 40mpg linked to, I have the map pack you can have for a quid donation in a charity box. Let me know if its any good to you and I’ll post it out, email is in profile.

welshfarmer

Jim, I have emailed you my take on the killer loop. takes the best bits and adds some to it. Loose the road climb and gain a fireroad climb and an extra descent.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Jim likewise Ive emailed my routes to. Hope you have a good time out there take it easy.

Sent Llangors lake route as well. Bit lower level if the weathers not so good.

booktownman
    Free Member

Come back end of April for Hay Bike Fest, some great guided rides and a BMBO event, part of their Black Mtns series.

http://www.haycycling.org for the programme

cb

ANy chance of those routes as well? I’m down that way in May.

Cheers

welshfarmer

If anyone really wants to explore the lesser known corners of the Black Mountains and does not have the luxury of time, they could do a lot worse than to employ the knowledge of my mate over at Wild Rides.

http://www.wild-rides.co.uk/home/4573869955

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Cb have sent you black mountain ones. I sent via iPad

core

I’d be grateful for any routes please, local to hay but never ridden in the black mountains, fancy some more natural riding & less trail centres…….

booktownman
    Free Member

Core – there’s usually a night / evening ride every weds from Hay and thereabouts, either myself and / or Welsh Farmer and a few others. Check out the Velo Hay page on Facebook – we’ve been lax recently posting rides up as there’s been little interest outside a small core group, but will make the effort now there Is light and the end of the winter tunnel. Alternatively drop me a line via the website in my profile and I’ll mail you with what we’re up to and where.

Where are you based?

Dekerf853

Thanks all!

welshfarmer

We rode up Y Das last night. It has been more or less completely sanitised. It would be a fast but relatively straightforward descent now and I reckon a good rider with good legs will ride up it with the exception of the rock steps on the hairpin. Could not believe how dry the mountain was last night. Anyone wanting to ride here should come now and not wait till summer!

creamegg
    Free Member

I’ve always done it clockwise as the Y Das trail was unrideable in either direction

why’s it unrideable, that’s one of my favourite natural descents?

It has been more or less completely sanitised

gutted

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Black Mountains routes.’ is closed to new replies.