Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Black Mountain – who's ridden it?
  • singletracksurfer

not the Black Mountains, but Black Mountain / Mynydd Du, to the west towards Llandeilo.

have you ridden up Garn Fawr (nr Talsarn) to the north, to Esgair Ddu and down the Dan yr Ogof trail to Glyntawe? I've heard the descent is excellent, but I'm wondering what the trail & navigation up it is like!

Thanks.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Pulls up a chair

I've over that way on Sunday. Been walking there, never on the bike…..

scratch
    Free Member

Worth doing.

I've always started from the Glyntawe side (from what I remember you'll have a steep push at the start) once that's out of the way the trail gets vague, very vague in places, although on a clear day with a map you'll have a good idea of where you meant to be heading for (there's usually a few walkers around to aim for). The trail picks up again on the other side with a very nice descent down.

I'd probably nip into the cafe for a brew and head back the same way.

It's not classic stunning singletrack but it's a huge expanse of land gives a great wilderness style feel to it. be worth keeping an eye on the clock, I think it took me 3hrs or so to cross but I think I was probably faffing/photo's a lot.

I'll try and dig out some pics.

scratch
    Free Member

Glyntawe side, Fan G in the background.

Stay out of this!

Vagueness

Couple of stream crossings

Trail

singletracksurfer

thats great, thanks.

Hmm, planning on doing it as part of a c2c ride – would you recommend it?
    Slightly cautious about the vagueness of trail at the start, but I suppose your heading for the (craggy) summit – is it still rideable?
    I was thinking there is always the minor road to the east of Black Mountain if the weather is bad.

I just don't like the look of the alternative(s), that head east to Rhayader & Breacon, only to use lots of road.

Ambrose
    Ambrose

There is only 1 km of proper vague if you are heading southwards. I've posted on MTB wales for you too.

scratch
    Free Member

We used it on a South to North Wales ride a few years back, the weather was proper grim that day but I'd scouted the crossing beforehand so knew what to expect.

Like Ambrose says it's only vague for a k' or so,
    map, compass, you'll be reet.

singletracksurfer

excellent, thanks chaps it sounds good enough for me.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Black Mountain – who's ridden it?’ is closed to new replies.