• This topic has 112 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Black ice – so that's what the fuss is about…..
  • MoreCashThanDash

Had my first off on black ice after several years of better luck – one moment happily riding smoothly along a straight piece of road, the next I’m sliding along the road thinking “Damn, I only bought this jacket yesterday!”

Thankfully nothing damaged other than my pride – a brief and pointless thanks to the guy in the XC90 who was mincing down the other side of the road who asked if I was Ok as it apparently had looked “spectacular” due to all the lights the bike and I were using when we went down.

Having a careful think about routes for tomorrow – will be on the 4 inches of powdery stuff on the Sustrans trail and then onto the biggest most gritted roads I can find – no more side roads and ungritted urban cycle routes for me!

trailmonkey

already had mine. 1st day of the freeze and haven’t commuted since 😕

neninja
    Free Member

No black ice round here – the roads are too covered in deep snow and/or slush. Supposed to be -9 overnight tonight and a max of -3 all day tomorrow so it’ll going to be a nightmare on the roads in the morning.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Totally crazy riding in this weather unless you avoid roads altogether. I was driving to work the other day and there was a woman on a bike that everyone was trying to avoid which just ended up with loads of cars skidding about as they had to move out of the ruts. Only a matter of time before someone slid into her. I commute in most weather but ice and heavy snow are just too dangerous.

MoreCashThanDash

Main roads round here are clear, the other roads are compacted snow now freezing over for the night, the Nutbrook Trail is still several inches of soft fluffy white stuff.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Winter studded tyres, bought or homemade.

Thread closed.

CHB

Us XC90 drivers are a considerate bunch. For christ sake dont cycle tomorrow. Its going to be black ice all over. Minus 8 in Leeds tonight. Not looking forward to commute to Harrogate tomorrow.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Winter studded tyres, bought or homemade.
    Thread closed.

Not closed at all. Can’t see how a studded tyre will stop a car sliding into you.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Im finding the 2.3 slicks more predictable than the nevegals last year

foxyrider
    Free Member

Gary_M

Just like cycling without a helmet – personal preference – I have come down on black ice twice in the last 6 years of commuting – more embarrassing than anything.

I think therefore we should ALL stay in, not drive, walk, cycle, take the train coz it might be risky!

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s not quite the point foxyrider. There is no denying the fact that riding on the road in these conditions is extremely dangerous. If someone chooses to do it then that’s up to them but that’s just my opinion based on experience of attempting to ride in very bad ice and snow. Sometimes it’s just not worth it.

psling
    Free Member

It’s the silence. You’re riding along with the familiar scrunching from under the tyres and then suddenly you realise it’s all gone quiet and you just know what’s going to happen next… 😯

foxyrider
    Free Member

Then I would say don’t drive as you may run down a pedestrian?

That said I will go off road as much as possible in this weather to have more fun and to avoid black ice!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

That’s not quite the point foxyrider. There is no denying the fact that riding on the road in these conditions is extremely dangerous.

rubbish. I shall contine to ride around as I do normally. Get a grip 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why would you say than? Generally cars don’t randomly fall over on black ice, if you’re on a bike you do.

mrchrispy

there is an art to falling.

the quicker you realise you are going down and just roll with it the less damage you do, it’s going to hurt but not that much. it hurts more when you try and stop it and end up with limbs going in all directions!

avoid the main roads and just just enjoy the white stuff on the side roads/parks

foxyrider
    Free Member

Gary_M

That’s not quite the point foxyrider. There is no denying the fact that riding on the road in these conditions is extremely dangerous.

It was in reply your your post:

I don’t like falling on black ice – my point was that – not that I shouldn’t commute to work in this weather because is Sooooo dangerous – I sort of agree with TJ but maybe not in quite a strong way.

Do you get what I mean – Black ice isn’t nice when you come down on it – thats it 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Dangerous? I just had 3 days of the best commutes ever. Roads are quiet, everyone is very friendly, no one is in a manic rush. I wish it was always like that.

If someone chooses to do it then that’s up to them but that’s just my opinion

Yep – just your opinion.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh whatever, just hope I don’t come across you when I’m driving.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Dangerous? I just had 3 days of the best commutes ever. Roads are quiet, everyone is very friendly, no one is in a manic rush. I wish it was always like that.

Cool – nice one 🙂

I love the snow as its a good excuse to commute on my HT and go off road (and take a little longer) – not cars, few walkers loads a fun 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

If you’re driving suitably for the conditions there shouldn’t be a problem.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I normally ride to work off road so cars not an issue, yesterday the snow was just too deep on the off road route so went up the dual carriageway where it was easier riding. Didn’t have a single car pass me. Roads busier this morning, but not slippy at all. I’m not looking forward to tomorrow morning though, they’re predicting -11 eek.

currymad
    Free Member

I lost a very good friend a few years ago who slid on black ice when going around a corner and went under a bus. He was trapped under one of the wheels and died within minutes.

A dark day, and the reason why I don’t cycle on the roads when the weather turns as it has.

Northwind

Gary_M – Member

“That’s not quite the point foxyrider. There is no denying the fact that riding on the road in these conditions is extremely dangerous.”

Behold: “Riding on the road in these conditions is not extremely dangerous”. Somehow we keep miraculously surviving.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with commuting in this weather, providing you’re using the right gear. I.e. either studded or very grippy tyres, and avoid the ice, of which there’s none at the moment, it’s all snow. Same as a car really.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I doubt you will as I’ll prob be off road 🙂 And if you do just keep your distance behind and when you overtake 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Got sent this link earlier, wondering if I should get the cable ties out for tomorrow

chrisdb
    Free Member

you lot are mental, why don’t you just drive?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I lost a very good friend a few years ago who slid on black ice when going around a corner and went under a bus. He was trapped under one of the wheels and died within minutes.

A dark day, and the reason why I don’t cycle on the roads when the weather turns as it has.

Not wishing to sound unkind but there’s dozens of people killed by being hit by vehicles in non-snowy conditions, is it sensible to stop all activity?

ebygomm

Be interested to see how well they work. All they’ll do is aid braking and accelerating, you’re still screwed on corners.

foxyrider
    Free Member

coz we like biking, its cheaper, its faster, keeps us fit, its fun……

BTW I ruptured my spleen skiing 2 years ago but I have not stopped skiing. I understand the risks but happy to take them. I can tell you I have had more near misses, offs and hit by cars when the driving conditions were A1 !

ooOOoo
    Free Member

..and I got rid of the car

firestarter
    Free Member

lol I can’t drive my car is snowed in at the end of our culture-de-sac the bikes easier

druidh
    Free Member

chrisdb – Member

Same reasons as normal. The bike is quicker, cheaper and keeps me fit.

It’s also a lot more fun.

trailmonkey

my commute is impossible, 8 out of 10 miles are on extremely quiet country lanes most of which are ice bound. i’ll happily throw myself down lustleigh cleave every weekend but i’m not brave enough for the lanes at the moment.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’m loving riding on the roads in the current conditions, although more ice would be even better as i’ll wear my studs out less quickly.

If i get splatted by an idiot, thats just the way it goes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

chrisdb – Member

I don’t own a car – as well as what Druidh says.

some of us are cyclists. some are car drivers who cycle sometimes 😉

Northwind

chrisdb – Member

“you lot are mental, why don’t you just drive?”

Well… Something to do with this:

Mind you, that was back on monday, we’ve had about another foot since then.

Much better:

Living is dangerous, riding bikes is dangerous, but you can’t cover yourself in cotton wool even when the world looks like it’s covered in cotton wool. With the reduced traffic on the road just now I don’t doubt for a second that it’s safer than normal to ride- it’ll be when the roads seem clear and we’re off our guard, and the traffic’s back, but there are still ice patches that things get hairy.

currymad
    Free Member

coffeeking – its a personal choice of course, and I’m not preaching everybody does it. I am also not stopping all activity, just cycling on potential icy roads.

Sure, people lose their lives everyday in unexpected ways, but I have never fallen of my bike commuting, and feel I am increasing the probability of an accident in these conditions if i ride…so don’t, which I think is sensible (for me).

I am also not sure what you would have recommended as ‘right gear’ for my friend who lost his life?

Anyway, we all have freedom of choice, and live with the consequences.

Waderider
    Free Member

I’m loving it at the moment, going out in the evening when most of the traffic is gone for the obvious reasons. With my spiked tyres. That’ll I’ll post an image of again……….because they’re my best bit of kit as I made them myself.

I do avoid the roads as much as possible it has to be said.

Gary_M
    Free Member

some of us are cyclists. some are car drivers who cycle sometimes

Yeh for sure. I’ve ridden over 6000 miles this year. I’m fairly sure that qualifies me as a cyclist. I’m just not bloody minded about it though and know when it’s a stupid thing to do for me.

And northwind I find it very hard to believe you ride anywhere in half a metre of snow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Black ice – so that's what the fuss is about…..’ is closed to new replies.