Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bizzare spoke issue – advice?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

An odd one. Checking the tandem over ready for a tour I checked the tension of the front spokes – I noticed that where they cross there is visible wear on the spokes – there is a flat where the spoke touches! It appears they have been fretting against each other

Its a hope big un hub with a sun rhyno rim – 48 spoker. Its a good few years old and has done a lot of miles

The wheel is straight and the spoke tension appears good.

Should I worry? I guess this has been developing for years but will the wheel be weakened significnatly.

The tour we are going on will be mainly easy riding but we will have panniers front and rear.

sputnik
    Free Member

Is this wear on all the spokes or just some?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Probably caused by the way you bed in your disc brakes 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sputnik – Member

Is this wear on all the spokes or just some?

Even weirder! I just double checked – its only about 1/3 of the wheel on one side – the rest of the spokes are not in contact at the cross. The rim looks straight to within a mm or so. One spoke is laced wrongly ( over a cross instead of under it)but the rest are correct

nonk
    Free Member

tandem riders used to tie and solder the cross tj. not sure if it would be the way forward for offroad use though?
    is it on the disc side of the wheel?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

non disc side.

cynic-al
    Free Member

the rest of the spokes are not in contact at the cross.

Eh? Sounds odd.

Depending on how worn they are I might consider a rebuilt and/or panic. I'd definitely be checking tension.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

all – as its a 48 spoke hub there are two rows of spoke holes in the hub so the inner spoke heads are nearer the centre of the hub by a few mm

nonk
    Free Member

its not many spokes that though is it?
    just change those ones and worry not.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

TJ…just a weird random thought…you weren't doing the Kirkliston Time Trial last night, were you?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nope. Not me. somehow I think my tandem with a 36 /11 top gear, 2.3 tyres and huge high wide bars wont make much of a TT bike 🙂

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Well that's just the thing TJ…there's some guy turns up with a mountain bike, which looks like a tandem which has been adapted to take the UBER sized pannier rack he has on the back…onto which he straps several 10kg weights…and he takes this bike time trialling…2.3in tyres and everything. Honestly…it has to be seen to be believed but honestly…mega respect to him, whoever he is!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bizzare spoke issue – advice?’ is closed to new replies.