Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Bizarre email from parish council to local cycling clubs.
  • Even apart from the Clerk of the Council misspelling their own village name, what a strange email to send.
    I wonder what “fast” means in this context, as compared with the typical speed of cars being driven through the village.

BECKBURY PARISH COUNCIL
    Clerk: Mr. L.E. Oakley

John Ireson, Esq.,
    Chairman,
    Wolverhampton Wheelers.
    Email:
    Dear Mr. Ireson,
    Becbury is a small rural village with quiet country lanes, a village pub, farm traffic, horse riders and the occasional bus, It attracts a large number of cyclists and members of your cycling club who often ride the lanes in large groups.
    At our recent Parish Council meetings concern was raised that some of these cycling groups are often travelling fast and in groups spread across the road, approaching junctions and sharp corners in a manner that represents a serious risk to both themselves and the potential oncoming traffic.
    Hence we have decided to write to yourselves to register our concern and ask that you
    publicise our concern with your club members, and encourage more safety awareness when travelling in our area.
    We are keen to welcome cyclists and walkers to our lovely village but we do not want to see people injured or worse.
    I have also written to Stourbridge Cycling Club in the same context.
    Yours sincerely,

Clerk of the Council

matt_outandabout

Esquire?

Bregante

Seems fair enough to me?

Drac

Crusty Juggler!

aP
    Free Member

Replies, “thank you very much for your letter, we’ve decided to take on board your concerns and will be moving our decades established club run cake stop to the tea rooms in the village next door but one. Regards etc etc”

martinhutch

Having attended a few parish council meetings in my time, the email isn’t surprising at all.

Hard to know if there is genuinely poor riding involved, or whether just being in a bunch travelling at 20+ mph is enough to get the net curtains twitching.

Reply courteously, asking if there is any evidence that your club is involved so you can investigate further.

antigee

thank them for their concern and return them an edited version substituting car for cyclist and suggest to be fair they forward the similar comments to the AA and RAC

*yes I know these are now commercial organisations

Haze

Just asking for a little common sense isn’t it?

atlaz
    Free Member

Also ask if the “fast” that is being travelled at is below the speed limit

weeksy

Some people have too much time and energy to waste…

In this instance I’m not sure if it’s him for writing it, or you for telling us.

towzer

Well I’d check the email carefully (if you can in your email) and find out if it really came from the council – emails can be faked. Also you should/may be able to get Parish council meeting minutes online/post/carrier pigeon/village hall – or phone him and check.

To be fair it might be a lot simpler and maybe they got whinged at at a Parish Council meeting.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want to be proactive go to the next meeting, ask for an item on the agenda and discuss their concerns. If it’s simply that cyclists are travelling at a safe speed within the correct lane then explain the highway code, probably very slowly and loudly for the hard of understanding.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Obviously for the common good.

hooli

This will come from those with too much time on their hands moaning about cyclists at a parish council meeting, the poor bugger who wrote that letter will have been assigned the action to deal with it.

I know this because I once attended a parish council meeting, once was enough…

Drac

Obviously for the common good.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY[/video]

GEDA
    Free Member

What the heck is wrong with that? It seems very polite to me. So someone has some concerns. The title of the thread seems to suggest your attitude is that they should just get over it. I would suggest maybe contacting them. Show a bit of concern and interest in their issues and you are not a load of arrogant mamils that think it is their right to mount their steeds and cruise the highways.

richmars

Typical Parish council letter, based on my experience. I suggest you reply and asked for an item about road safety to be put on the next meeting, when you can explain how you see it.

jtintheuk
    Free Member

Polite and sensible. Response to be the same.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

GEDA – Member

What the heck is wrong with that? It seems very polite to me. So someone has some concerns. The title of the thread seems to suggest your attitude is that they should just get over it. I would suggest maybe contacting them. Show a bit of concern and interest in their issues and you are not a load of arrogant mamils that think it is their right to mount their steeds and cruise the highways.

While I agree, your post is pointless when it comes to a lot of people on this forum.

Drac

Heretic!

cookeaa

I’d treat it as an opportunity OP, email back and thank them for their concerns, if you have any member’s registered and trained with BC/CTC for leading rides mention that fact and state that any feedback which helps you improve the safety of your members is much appreciated. oh and compliment their “beautiful, picturesque village”.

Perhaps offer to “Assess the safety” of the village’s road layout, signage, lines of sight and put forward suggested improvements for their consideration at the next parish council meeting…

The fact that it’s a blanket email to cycling clubs in the area suggests a combination of Reading too many papers and the odd cyclist rolling through the village have got the dusty old duffers all a’fluster… Play along, be polite, contrite and helpful to the point where they just can’t find any real fault and they’ll eventually stop bothering you…

As for the ‘Esq’ thing apparently since 1830 esquires in English law include:

The eldest sons of knights, and their eldest sons in perpetual succession
    The eldest sons of younger sons of peers, and their eldest sons in perpetual succession
    Esquires created by letters patent or other investiture, and their eldest sons
    Esquires by virtue of their offices, as Justices of the Peace and others who bear any office of trust under the Crown
    Esquires of knights constituted at their investiture
    Foreign noblemen
    Persons who are so styled under the Royal sign manual (officers of the Armed Forces of or above the rank of Captain in the Army or its equivalent) and eldest sons thereof.
    Barristers (but not Solicitors)

So He could be a retired Captain or a Barrister… or a Foreign nobleman… My money’s on ex Barrister with an inferiority complex.

martinhutch

So He could be a retired Captain or a Barrister… or a Foreign nobleman… My money’s on ex Barrister with an inferiority complex.

Except esq is used to address the cycling club chairman…

Personally I wouldn’t go on a club ride led by anything less than a foreign nobleman. 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Seems fair enough, doddery worryworts getting a bit excited about not very much. Get in touch with the other cycle club, attend meeting, show willing, happy doddery worry worts.

MoreCashThanDash

Attend the meeting to discuss issues and concerns. It’s being open, polite and proactive. It may also be useful if the local beat bobby attends (ours often does) so that the rules of the road and Highway Code can be clarified.

chakaping
    Free Member

I suggest you reply and asked for an item about road safety to be put on the next meeting, when you can explain how you see it.

Agreed, good opportunity to engage with them and perhaps educate them a little?

Scapegoat

Parish council politics are such that if a member of the public has raised concerns, they are obliged to act. The letter seems polite and is simply asking for you to raise awareness with your membership. It won’t be the councillors themselves that are complaining, it’ll be a local with a bee in their bonnet.

You have two options.
    either
    A) Contact the writer and offer to attend a meeting to show that your club is taking responsibility to brief your members to ride carefully through the rural idyll. You can ask the clerk to the council for a slot in a future meeting. You can work the politics of the meeting to your advantage by requesting a simple presentation, ensuring that the clerk and chair both understand and agree that you will not be open to public questions, and that any questions from members will be through the chair. Stress that you have no intention of entering an adversarial debate with Mrs Miggins from 1 Church Lane based on Daily Mail headlines and radio 2 sound bites. Use the presentation to show that club riders are polite, responsible members of the community, insured through BC or CTC and that club riding etiquette is designed to increase safety dependant on road and traffic conditions.
    Or
    B) bum his dog.

thegreatape
    Free Member

This will come from those with too much time on their hands moaning about cyclists at a parish council meeting, the poor bugger who wrote that letter will have been assigned the action to deal with it.

I know this because I once attended a parish council meeting, once was enough…

Tenner says it’s this. I used to go to Community Council meetings when I was a village cop. Being paid to be there and having a bit of sport with the outspoken Chairman without him realising made it just about bearable once every six months.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s polite enough, caring enough but I’d definitely write back asking for the Council to bring up car driving through the village.

cookeaa

You’re right of course, maybe I should learn to read…
    Or is is the Wolves Wheelers Chairman Known to be a “Foreign Nobleman”? Perhaps Wolverhampton has been declared a principality?

ninfan
    Free Member

Dear Mr Oakley, I would like to thank you for, and acknowledge receipt of, your Email regarding your concerns over the safety of groups of cyclists passing through the village.

I note with particular concern your comment that cyclists are ‘travelling fast and in groups spread across the road, and that they are approaching junctions and sharp corners in a manner that represents a serious risk to both themselves and the potential oncoming traffic.

Obviously this causes me great concern, however I am uncertain as to whether you are alleging that road traffic offences have been committed, in which case I would have thought that the appropriate point of contact would be the police, or whether your concern is over the road layout and junction design in the village, in which case it occurs to me that the appropriate point of contact would be the highway authority.

Obviously, if we as a club can offer you advice or support in a campaign for the improvement of the road layout to help cyclists pass through the village safely, then we would be keen to do so. Please do not hesitate to contact me if we can be of any further assistance in this regard.

yours Aye,

Club secretary.

nealglover
    Free Member

I once got a very similar letter, informing me that “concerns had been raised” about the safety of me parking my van on the road outside my house.

It was always parked in the same spot, perfectly legally and safely, and nowhere near a junction or anywhere that bothered any of my neighbours.

It turned out that before I moved in, some old bloke used to park his car there twice a week to go into the pub for an hour, and he wasn’t happy so he raised “safety concerns”

“Issues” raised at parish council meetings are obviously not all actual issues.

nuke

What geda said…seemed fair enough email to me

Scapegoat

Esq. is a traditional way of addressing a letter to a person whose title you don’t know. It avoids, for example, the unimaginable faux pas of calling a Doctor “Mr” . Rather than a reason for derision, it shows that the parish council chair is affording all due respect to the OP, and upholding proper etiquette.

Perhaps we should expect him to start the letter off “Yo Blud ” to show he’s down with the kids?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nahhhh, dats just kray bruv

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its a nice way of telling you and your MAMIL mates to get the hell out of our village.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Don’t responded!

As soon as you do you will be the first person they contact about anything remotely cycling related even if its got nothing to with you or your club. Have to attend parish meeting etc…

Put their concern to your club as an FYI and leave it at that.

scaredypants

Write back and tell him that the village school gate has always been, and always will remain, the prime sprint point for the 3.30pm midweek bunrun.

Under such circumstances it should be anticipated that riders will be travelling at maximum speed and children should be warned about leaving school safely, as nobody wants to see a 14+ mph collision that might damage your bikes.

then bum his dog

kcal

reply, acknowledge full responsibility and in future you will be tearing through the countryside in your cars instead. Also ask how many actual accidents or near-accidents have been reported, rather than potentials..

hora
    Free Member

That seems fair to me tbh. All they are doing is asking people to ride responsibly. I was expecting some nutjob foaming link/post. Apparently its abit of a problem around Box Hill etc Surrey due to Londoners swamping it at weekends etc.

digga
    Free Member

Up until recently, I too would have dismissed this as being a perfunctory follow-up action to nimby concerns at a parish council – I would agree there are too many people with nothing else to do but moan and snipe about others.

However, a few weeks ago, whilst driving, I was very nearly ridden head-on into by a pack of bikes travelling on the margins of safety (within the speed limit, but unsafe for the actual section of road) and it was extremely frightening. If I had not been paying absolute attention and made a near emergency stop, there could have been a nasty incident.

Now as it happens, I knew who the guys were (some were friends) and, in fact, by the time I got in touch the following day words had already been spoken within their ranks – the lead rider was not leading responsibly etc. etc. – so to my mind that was an end to the issue. Were it that this were not the case and that I was a parish council type though, I can see how/why these types of issues may arise.

Our roads are pretty crap, we all need to try to use them together and cyclists being mindful of other road users is just as important as other road users being mindful of them. All IMHO.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Bizarre email from parish council to local cycling clubs.’ is closed to new replies.