Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bivvying without a bivvy bag – will I die?
  • peterfile
    Free Member

Planning a bivvy in Glen Nevis at the weekend and intend to rig a tarp for shelter, then just use sleeping bag and mat. Forecast is good.

I’m assuming that I can get away with not using a bivvy bag, or am I missing something and will wake up cold and wet due to condensation etc? Just a little concerned since the outside of my tent is generally covered in frost/ice in the morning.

Area is sheltered and not particularly high (400m).

thegreatape
    Free Member

It was Baltic when I got home at 3am, so I’m sure you will die.

anjs
    Free Member

Pretty much all of the Glen was frozen solid last weekend

molgrips
    Free Member

You have to bank on:

– no rain if there’s wind
    – not letting any part of your bag roll off the mat onto wet grass
    – no insects (not so hard at this time of year of course)

Not sure about condensation either. Your bag’s fabric should be a lot more breathable than a tent, but then again at this time of year there could be a lot of dew so you might get wet for that reason. In fact, I think you are quite likely to.

stavromuller
    Free Member

Jeez, can’t believe my old eyes. MTFU you wuss, spent a week skiing in St Anton back in the eighties and slept out every night under one of those little wooden huts they keep cattle fooder in. The warmest it got during the day was Zero Celcius

piemonster

Is he dead yet?

Can I have his bikes?

Spongebob
    Free Member

OP: why?

Chew
    Free Member

Depends on how much coverage you get from your tarp. If you can keep the rain off you and keep your bag off the damp ground you should be ok.

I’d recomend a bivi in wet/damp weather, but you wont die if you get a bit damp.

boblo
    Free Member

He’s got two threads going on this. Either that or I’ve fallen down a worm hole into a parallel dimension.

piemonster

Probably the latter

peterfile
    Free Member

Jeez, can’t believe my old eyes. MTFU you wuss, spent a week skiing in St Anton back in the eighties and slept out every night under one of those little wooden huts they keep cattle fooder in. The warmest it got during the day was Zero Celcius

Whoopeedoo. You are John McClane and I claim my £5.

I spend most weekends sleeping on a mountain in winter, MTFU not really required, just concerned that my bags will become soaked (like the outside of my tent usually is).

peterfile
    Free Member

He’s got two threads going on this.

One of the mods thought it would be hilarious to make another thread and change thegreatape’s response slightly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Stavromuller, camping in the alps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bivvying without a bivvy bag – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.