Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bivvy equipment recommendations
  • instanthit
    Free Member

I am planning a couple of lightwewight biyyy/rides on Dartmoor over coming months. I have not done this for years and feel the need, so an upgrade of sleeping bag is required, any recommendations? Have looked at the alpkit stuff which looks good but out of stock at present.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im a fan of rab stuff

i have a survival zone bivvy and it breathes well – slept in it down to -15 at the puffer

i sometimes wish it was zip over the top like the storm – i think ill change it for a storm soon

sleeping bags in winter is a minefield – depends on weather ! i usually use my -20 comfort bag but its bulky as **** !

instanthit
    Free Member

Thanks,have looked at the rab stuff and looks like qaulity kit. Just want to go as light as possible but still stay warm, nothing worse than freezing in a bivvy bag.

Stoner
    Free Member

I love my Alpkit bag and I sleep in a large army goretex bivvy bag (Im 6’4″, Alpkit just isnt big enough)

A couple of weeks ago I bivvied out on a walk in the black mountains when it absolutley lashed down. I was snug and dry. I also use a plastic poncho/tarp(cost £10) with a walking pole.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like down for the lack of bulk – but you need to keep it dry.

slept out on friday and i was too warm.

a thinner bag and a gilet & hat combo will give you extra versatility.

mafu26
    Free Member

I wasn’t a massive fan of the storm having the flap over your face. Felt horrid when it was raining and the damp cover was over your face. I much prefer an open style one like the Hunka with a tarp over me.

Waderider
    Free Member

Have a google of Phd Designs for custom sleeping bags.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mafu – you can leave it open too 😉 open only is fine for light weight but you have no option for closing it if your tarp blows away or you cant find anywhere to put it up .

my survival zone is open top and there has been a few times i wanted to close it up – mainly in pisssing rain and midges !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bivvy equipment recommendations’ is closed to new replies.