Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Bits
  • Daffy

Or spares, if you prefer. Having finally purchased storage for the garage and sorted my bewildering array of spares boxes into drawers, I was utterly astonished (and more than a little ashamed) as to the amount of spare parts I have….Does anyone else suffer from the need to amass spares of things in case something breaks?

I have 8 SPARE Hope floaty rotors? WTF for? How did I not know about the other 6 when somehow accruing the final 2?!

gonzy
    Free Member

i used to have that problem…i ended up building another 5 bikes out of all the parts!! then i got married and the wife made me sell most of them

amedias
    Free Member

guilty as charged 😳

Northwind

I started sorting mine at the weekend. 30 26 inch tyres, I don’t own any 26 inch bikes. 5 pairs of wheels, 4 pairs of forks, 3 XTR cranks, 2 rear shocks, and an On One Scandal hardtail frame (sing along now).

I’m not even including the stuff I might use some time, that’s actually spares, this stuff is all Hoarding.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have pretty much no spares, bits, parts, whatever you want to call them. If it’s broken or worn out it goes in the bin. If it’s saleable then it gets sold. I don’t get hoarding stuff.

mcj78
    Free Member

I got married & my wife was forever moaning at me to get the bikes / shrapnel out of the spare room, then we moved house & I found an old ikea chest of drawers up the loft & managed to fill it (5 drawers) with all sorts of handy stuff I will never use again, like that 140mm centrelock rotor i’ve never used and don’t know how I acquired…

*ok Northwave wins with his 30 26″ tyres & no bike for them!*

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I went through all my spare bike bits last month, I found I was a lower headset race short of a complete bike!!

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Daffy – I’ll take a set of 180 rotors off your hands if you want to claw back a little cash…?!

ossify

I think my spare bits consist of 2 spokes and a derailleur hanger that doesn’t even fit my current bike 😛

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m with Mister P, if it’s worn or broken bin it, if it’s serviceable sell it. I don’t keep junk

ThePinkster

I currently have a lot of spares hanging off the garage wall, built up into 2 bikes that I’ll never ride again as I love riding my BFe so much.

Also got at least 3 forks, a set of Hope Big’uns built onto D321 rims 15(ish) pairs of tyres (not counted them recently), 2 frames, a direct mount front mech that never fitted one of the bike hanging on the wall….

…I could go on….

breninbeener

Im a cronic hoarder. Unbuilt frames, unused forks etc…however i could find a home for a pr of theose Hope rotors mentioned by OP 🙂 ….and they would get used!

stevied
    Free Member

If I buy something I sell something to help cover the cost. I tend to change stuff quite a lot so normally get a decent price for the bits I sell.
    Spares only really include tyres (for different conditions but all get used), spokes and nipples for the custom wheel build (ordered spares as they are straight pull/aero).
    I do, however, have a hoard of CNC’d bike light bits, LED’s, optics etc that I’m slowly working through to build up..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I hoard ‘spares’ of kit that I’ve replaced and won’t use again, but keep as spares just in case.

That >1.0 worn complete 9 speed transmission, you know, just in case. Check.

Seat post and stems so long they still reach into the future? Check.

V brakes. I mean, V brakes? the last time I had v brakes was 2000!

Stupid. In fact, I’m going to throw it out later. I did give away 22 26 inch tyres a couple of years ago though.

Tracey

Cant seem to get on the top of our stuff, was in the garage loft last night and the amount of bike and non bike stuff was unreal. I found a 3 man tent which has now been passed on, two BMXs and a unicycle that should really go to a better home. And boxes of bike spares, new and used, that just seems to grow and grow.
    I did throw away a tyre that I’ve been saving for the Specialized tyre amnesty.

molgrips
    Free Member

I must have over a dozen pairs of pedals, including the first ever pair of SPDs I bought, back in 1995, and the first ever pair of SPDs my mate bought at the same time. His were the Onza ones.

ads678

I sorted through my stuff the other week and put a load of stuff in a bag to take down to the local bike charity thing. Stuff that wouldn’t really sell but could be used by someone, few pairs of old V brakes, 3 sets of cranks and all the bits off a 24″ bike that I stripped for the frame for my lads new build.

Now I just need to actually take it down there………

gummikuh

Hi Tracey.

I might be interested in the BMX’s?

ThePinkster

Now I just need to actually take it down there………

How long before you start going through it, thinking “Actually, that might be useful….“?
    😉

finbar
    Free Member

Is this thread a useful place to slyly mention I’m looking for a 120-140mm straight steerer fork and some cranks to add to my own personal massive pile of bits I all have grand plans for, but no time to execute 😳 ?

Northwind

@finbar, want some 44 RC3 Tis? Or some Revelations? Or some Sektors? Or 3 pairs of XTR cranks and some SLXs? 😆 I’ll post em wrapped in 26 inch tyres for packaging.

pictonroad

I’m after a nice pair of v brakes for a build for my lad if anyone would like to see their spare pair used. I’ll cover postage etc.

Email in profile.

Cheers

James

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m still using 26. Could do with a dirty Dan 1.8, or a pair of big mud tyres for the big bike.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Does anyone else suffer from the need to amass spares of things in case something breaks?

no, the ability to have something delivered within 48 hours helps me,

i just eBay anything thats sitting around, however it takes me an age to list stuff, especially if it need cleaning before listing

russyh
    Free Member

I have been clearing out loads lately. I just want to have a workshop free of clutter. Also trying to limit myself to 4 bikes. The amount of times I have bought something to only find already had it is/was starting to become an embarrassing joke!

porter_jamie

I went to convert my heckler to 1×10. Took the clutch mech off the hardtail as it’s going to be a single speed. Went to look for the new chainring and found a brand new in the box zee mech. Oh…

porter_jamie

I did have a properly brutal clear out the other day though. Old chains cassettes and anything I wouldn’t buy (less than slx so loads of crappy old mech and some cranks and stuff) old tyres and tubes. Decent new stuff is so cheap and readily available it’s better to consider crc your stores cupboard I reckon.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’m with Mister P, if it’s worn or broken bin it, if it’s serviceable sell it.

but Mister P works for Shimano… 8)

p.s.
    does anyone have an mtb frame they’re looking to get rid of? preferably in extra small or small size and either 24″ or 26″?

momo

I still have an old Mr C chain device for 5 arm cranks, I haven’t owned any 5 arm cranks since 1999!

I had a good sort out of the workshop a couple of weeks ago, ended up selling a shock and a mono6ti front brake which were sat doing nothing and chucking out 4 worn chains, 3 worn cassettes and a narrow wide chainring which was starting to resemble an oversized throwing star!

I still have 2 pairs of panaracer fireXCs, a pair of panaracer cinders and some micheling wildgripper hot s, the ones with the red tread hanging in the garage

jekkyl

you never know when you’ll need a worn chainring, or you know..20 odd of them 😳

canopy
    Free Member

fair old stash of old bits, including some purple things and numerous broken ones – kept around to cannibalize for other failures.. or something..

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bits’ is closed to new replies.