Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bit too much oil in the car
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Checked the oil in the car this morning and there was none dipstick was dry. Much panic ensued and put in two litres now it’s around 10mm above the max mark on the dippy.

Should I be worried? 1.6 Honda Vtec engine BTW.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t go ragging it, just drive carefully and it should burn it off.

*This is NOT professional advice, don’t come running to me if the engine blows up.

wwaswas

depends if there’s anythign likely to hit the oil that shouldn’t. if it were me I’d be looking to drain off the extra or ‘suck it’ back up through the dipstick hole – modern engines have all sorts of filters to stop engine oil getting in the combustion chmabers and they’ll all end up blocked and the engine won’t breathe properly.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I feel reassured!

project
    Free Member

Had a customer who asked when to fill the car up with oil so showed her the dipstick etc, and the filler hole, her freind walked up and said on my new car a little light comes on when it needs oil.

A few weeks latter the same neighbour filled her car flush to the top of the filler cap with oil, 😳

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is also that story about the woman in the petrol station – she bought some oil then was stood for ages under the bonnet. Eventually someone came out to see if she needed help and it turned out she was trying to fill it by pouring oil into the hole for the dipstick.

Dipstick.

ziggy
    Free Member

If it’s a VTEC I shouldn’t worry as it’ll burn that off in no time. Mine used to burn through a litre a month, and no there wasn’t any leaks, it’s the nature of the engine. Lots of revs = high oil usage.

My advice, rag the crap out of it.

dmiller
    Free Member

My corsa currently has a bit to much oil in it, as the last time I changed the oil it was cold outside so I was in a hurry and I didnt pay as much attention as I should have – that was 2.5k miles ago…

It seems happy enough, no bad noises or worrys etc. I change the oil every 5k anyway (its an old car, 85k + miles) so I was just going to leave it to then to sort.

My main worry was the bottom of the crankshaft or other engine bits dropping into the oil in the sump and foaming it up but it seems ok to me.

If your worried I would suck it back up the filler pipe as suggested above with some plastic tube, far less faff than opening the sump nut.

joolsburger
    Free Member

My type r was the same cost a fortune in mobil one.

I put oil in it about a six weeks ago but I do drive about 60 miles a day. Will have to keep an eye on it as the oil light seems pretty hit and miss.

jools182
    Free Member

my aunty tried to fill her car up through the dipstick 😯

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I overfilled the oil in a triumph herald once. The plumes of blue smoke resembled something out of wacky races. Personally I’d drain it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get some thin (~5mm OD) tubing, stick it in the dipstick hole, syphon it out, it’ll take 5 minutes tops and give you peace of mind.

Either that or drain the lot and start again. But I favour cheep oil and lots of changes over expensive oil changed almost never.

You’ll find the engine is well down on power if you run it like that as its trying too hard to spin the cank through the oil, unlikely to do any damage though as theres usualy plenty of space in there.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Have a 30 mile run down the M3 later so will see if it’s smoking when I get home. One positive is its 5-30wt so pretty light

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Take the filler cap off, stand back and rev it to 8 grand for 5.6734 seconds, job done.

Flaperon

Just unscrew the filter, empty it, and replace. Voila, 0.5 litres of oil quickly and easily removed from the engine.

SiB
    Free Member

got stopped by police on M6 when I was a student after putting too much oil in which resulted in a thick fog following me from jct 16 to 15. Well, it had a leak in it so had to fill it good and proper.

You’ll be fine, just keep off busy roads for a while!

cranberry
    Free Member

My brother, who buys car magazines/is a car spotter, checked the oil on his Volvo and it was low, so he put a bottle of oil in it.

It started cutting out, smoke would pour out of it, and it was called every sort of not good enough bastard possible.

So he’s sat in the pub and after an entirely riveting discussion about cars with another bloke starts to talk about the problem that he was experiencing.

Had he done anything to the car recently?

“I filled the oil, it was a bit low I put a bottle in”.

“Really ? it took a whole litre to bring it up to the full mark, maybe it is using oil ?”

“No, it wasn’t a 1 litre bottle, it was a 5.”

*Stunned silence* followed shortly after by *many tears of mirth*

dmiller
    Free Member

Just unscrew the filter, empty it, and replace. Voila, 0.5 litres of oil quickly and easily removed from the engine.

Thats actually a really good idea and far less faff than bits of pipe down the dipsitck etc! Nice one!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Take off the oil filler cap and…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Id personally drain a bit of it out, Oil can force its way out of seals etc where it isnt normally expected in any quantity, can also end up crudding up breather hoses and generally make a mess of the air filter for starters.
    Oil filter trick sounds like a good one.

Grimy
    Free Member

Go to Maccys, pinch a few straws, tape em together, slip em down the dip stick hole and suck! lol. 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

was the car on the flat when you checked the dipstick?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Lots of revs = high oil usage.

Err, no it doesn’t. Some engines are ‘all like that sir’.

Bike engines are the same, BMWs and R1s sprung to mind, but non of mine have ever burned a drop, despite hitting 10-11000 rpm. Revs has nowt to do with it. 🙂

mucker

A word of warning to the mechanical inepts, if you overfill a diesel engine with oil there’s a fair chance that when its rev’d hard it will start to burn the oil as fuel, whereapon huge amounts of oily smoke will belch from the exhaust, the engine will over-rev you will be unable to switch it off as its now burning its oil and not fuel (fuel flow controled by soleniod on ignition) and it will overheat to the point of destruction possibly throwing a con-rod out the side of the engine block.
    The only way to stop the engine is to stall it. I’ve seen it happen and its effen scary.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mucker, it seems Mrs PP has done exactly that. Apparently some bloke told her to turn the engine off, and she waved the keys in his face and told him that she had done!

Stalling it worked though…. 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

I thought that was only turbo diesel engines where the oil is forced through the seals on the induction side of the turbo.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It worked OK no smoke, ran quiet all seemed well. Prolly buggered but I’ll check again tomorrow.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bit too much oil in the car’ is closed to new replies.