Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bit of hr advice please
  • bradcall1
    Free Member

Been on the site for a while but changed my name in case there are people on here who know where I work.

I work for a large retailer, and the store I am in has not been performing recently, to the point where my store is in the bottom 10 in the division. My regional manager sat me down last week and we had a chat, where he said I would be getting a letter of concern for performance. This I don’t have a problem with.

We then discussed further to the point where he stated that if it still in the bottom 10 at the end of this period I will go on a pip, still fine with this, as it’s performance management, but he then proceeded to tell me that I would lose my job in three months time. I’m not sure he can say that? Also he then stated that I would be better suited as a store manager in a different type of retails outlet! Again not sure if he can say that.

Just want to gain som advice as I’m quite happy to say ok he can say that if he can.

Thanks

tomhoward

How long have you worked there? If less than 2 years I’d treat that as 3 months (MAX) to find a new job

Or, does he mean you’ve got 3 months (plus the rest of this period) to get out of the bottom 10, if you haven’t then you’ll be fired. In which case, stop posting on here and crack on, assuming you want to stay there.

Have the other 9 store managers in the same predicament had the same chat?

wiggles
    Free Member

I`d take that (rightly or wrongly) as “jump before you are pushed”

thomthumb
    Free Member

I`d take that (rightly or wrongly) as “jump before you are pushed”

+1 friend of mine was told by senior manager to say this in a performace review. I was quite concerned that my mate was being stitched up too; turns out it’s just how they operate!

bradcall1
    Free Member

3 years working there now.

No issues before now.

Already looking.

voodoo_chile

Brad name and shame ,high street retail is ruthless , normally a branches performance is normally outside factored ,sorry to teach u to suck eggs mate …u will be aware of these factors and put things in place to do the best out of it

project
    Free Member

some shops in some areas are under performing, because the staff dont care, the management dont care, too high prices, local competition, poor area.

You can do something about the first 2 thats why youre called a manager.

also the high street retail is currently failing uk wide,lots of retilers closing stores, sacking staff etc, as people use the internet or just one store to buy most stuff from

tinybits
    Free Member

As far as can he do that, no, he can’t. Is what he’s said documented?

However, all the advice you’re about to get (including join a union) is very little use. If you’re wanted gone, and sadly it does sound as if that could be the case unless you misheard / misunderstood, then that’s it I’m afraid. All you can do is build a case to go after them for some damages via an unfair or constructive dismisal claim. i songly suspect your possible damages are not going to be worth the time you’d need to invest.
    Sorry to be blunt, and hope it all works out well for you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

someone has to be in the bottom 10 so they must go through a lot of managers

as it’s performance management, but he then proceeded to tell me that I would lose my job in three months time. I’m not sure he can say that?

I dont think they can do it that quicky as they have to appraise iffer support give support appraise etc. Was it said as a threat or a warning or as a heads up from a friend? They can say anything they ike and whether ega or not they wi get rid of you if this is what they want

Also he then stated that I would be better suited as a store manager in a different type of retails outlet! Again not sure if he can say that.

They can say this IMHO [ IANAL] that could be anything from helpful advice to undermining your confidence

I think tone matters more here was the meeting helpful, threatening or fait accompli?

Which is was determines what it meant

Good Luck

bradcall1
    Free Member

The whole tone of the meeting felt like a threatening session with no offer of support, or building of a plan in regards what I/we can do to improve the situation.

Nothing was formally written down, however I have made notes and diarised what was said and when.

project
    Free Member

name the chain and be done.

tjagain

As far as I can see its just standard operating procedure. I take it as 3 months to improve the performance of the store or be sacked. You have got your warning and time to address the issue.

The question is – do you like the job and can you improve the shop?

Edit – and an incompetent line manager who does not quite understand the process

Also if there is nothing on paper send him an email with ” this is my understanding of our meeting”

bradcall1
    Free Member

I enjoy the job to an extent, as anybody does. Can we improve it, yes and we already are.

The issue I am trying to get over at the moment is do I want to work for my boss. I know I’m a big boy but the way he spoke to me really annoyed me

Drac

He’s performance managing as you’re not performing as you should, yes they can do that. Did he say you were going in 3 months time or that if things don’t improve in 3 months then they’d have to let you go. We have your version here and my guess is that you may not have heard or understood what he said.

All above board though as I’d say they seem to have plenty evidence that your store is failing, as for recommending you work in a different area that’s not a bad manger that’s someone giving you advice on your skill set.

Also if there is nothing on paper send him an email with ” this is my understanding of our meeting”

Yup you should have details on what was discussed to avoid confusion, if you don’t hear soon do this and copy HR in or your senior manager.

poly
    Free Member

What drac and tj said, but I’d go further and send him your proposed action plan to try and pull the site out of the bottom 10. And ask him for feedback on it. If he accepts it (after changes or just ignores it) and you deliver it then it puts you in a better position even if you are still in 9th from bottom spot after the effort. If they want rid, they want rid, but you might just negotiate a settlement if they have predetermined the process, especially if you deliver the agreed action steps. Resist the measurement criteria being to move out of the bottom 10 – push to be measured on things you can directly influence: sales (total, per transaction, certain high profit products), staff hours/costs, utilities costs, stock value, etc. If you’ve got data on historic performance before you were there then include this in the discusssions to set targets for the future and if you can get data for comparable sites then even better too. You could also ask what they are prepared to invest to lift the site out the bottom 10 – marketing, shop refresh etc- the answer is probably nothing but that doesn’t help their case down the line. If you don’t currently share frequent reports with him then start – again it’s harder for them to say you haven’t done your job if you’ve told them what you are doing and how it was going, than if you keep them in the dark. If he’s as crack handed at performance management as he sounds then he fires his warning shot then turns up at the end and says “tried and failed”, but that is not how it is supposed to work.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You can do something about the first 2 thats why youre called a manager.

Is he though? It would appear so, but he hasn’t said as much…

chewkw
    Free Member

bradcall1 – Member
    I work for a large retailer, and the store I am in has not been performing recently, to the point where my store is in the bottom 10 in the division.

Jump before you are pushed because that store will Not survive no matter how you try. i.e. bottom 10 means the decision will be to close that branch if possible. Then relocate or drastically reduce the size by cost cutting. i.e. meaning that they need to generate excuse to get rid of “non-performing ” workers. (paying salary is expensive if sales cannot even cover that)

Nothing to do with you. Retail store is brutal. You can act like a dancing monkey but if nobody wants to buy from your store, no amount of dancing will attract sales.

Go get another job and let them drown (that store) by themselves.

The people that should be fired are those that get paid handsomely but cannot even come up with interesting ideas or new product or services.

CountZero

Wonders will never cease! Chewkw actually made some sense.
    I must go lie down in a darkened room…

BigJohn

Maybe you’re not doing a very good job and they want somebody to bring the store to its full potential.

frankconway

I’ve worked in the sector but not as a store manager.
    Retail is a harsh environment; too many factors outside of your control but, as store manager, the buck will be seen to rest with you.
    List the factors which determine store performance and then identify those which you can influence; utilities costs, range, GNFR costs, store cleaning costs, pricing, home delivery costs/service, trading hours are probably imposed centrally. Location and competitor activity are outside of your control. Staff costs, staff numbers, shift patterns – you may have some influence but limited control. You could comment on condition of your store but any investment will likely be based on trading performance.
    In real terms, your focus is probably on staff performance and customer satisfaction as you can influence them.
    PIPs are window dressing and provide the necessary level of HR procedural compliance and that is intended to minimise any possible legal challenge.
    Buff up the CV while developing an action plan for your RM. Identify what you can influence and how you will do it; be very clear about the multiple factors over which you have limited or no control – for those where you have limited control/influence how can you make significant improvements (incremental is not what they’re looking for).

Educated guess…..Asda? Their standard operating method; underperforming generally and losing market share

geetee1972
    Free Member

This thread is the fantasy equivalent of a unicorn. It shouldn’t exist.

Every single response is a) broadly in agreement with every other response and b) so far as I can tell (I know just enough about the subject to know) on the money right!

I feel for you buddy. I’ve been in the exact same situation myself; resign now or we will fire you. It’s a shit place to be and almost certainly the store’s under performance isn’t entirely your fault.

But think of it like this. At least part of it will be and almost certainly that’s got nothing to do with your abilities and evrything to do with whether you’re happy there or not.

Being unhappy at work can have a big impact on your performance but it’s still got nothing to do with how good you are at you job.

Be happy buddy – life’s far too short to stick around a place that’s bringing you down.

bradcall1
    Free Member

Not Asda no,

Greater I like your thinking. Hence why I am looking at other options.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bit of hr advice please’ is closed to new replies.