Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bit of help needed – headset cartridge bearings.
  • mdavids
    Free Member

I need to replace the cartridge bearings in my headset as its started leaking brown crud and feels a bit notchy.

The bike is a 2010 stumpjumper fsr but I cant seem to find a definitive answer as to what bearings are needed. The spec sheet describes the headset as:
    campy style cartridge bearings for integrated alloy head tube.

The headset has cane creek written on it.

Cane creek’s website reckons I need:
    SHIS:IS42/28.6|IS42/30 (1-1/8″ Italian Integrated IS Standard)

which doesn’t mean a lot to me to be honest.

I’ve found these on crc which look like the correct ones but I cant be sure.
    these
    and these

Could someone point me in the right direction, either to replacement bearings or full headset. I’ve tried to get my head round all the different standards but its all a bit too much.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Neither of those…

mdavids
    Free Member

Ok thanks, saves me buying them. Do you have any other suggestions? Anyone?

DO I need a headset/bearing specific to the frame or will any 1 1/8 integrated headset do the job?

mdavids
    Free Member

Shameless bump. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If you measure them, would an online bearing supplier (e.g. simplybearings.co.uk) be of any use?

michaelbowden

Or your Specialized dealer?

schmiken

This is what you need – 45 x 45 bearings (as opposed to most ‘normal’ ones which are 45 x 36).
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38690

mdavids
    Free Member

That looks promising, thank you. Can I ask how you know that it needs 45 x 45? Google has let me down for once.

schmiken

I worked as the manager of a bike shop for several years. It’s the Italian Integrated bit that gave it away. If you look for Campagnolo (or Campy) fit headset bearings you won’t go far wrong.

tomstickland
    Free Member

Same problem here! Camber Comp 2011 and the bike shop sold me a set of Cane Creek bearings as shown in the Chain Reaction link. They almost fit, but not quite.

So Campy means Campagnola?

tomstickland
    Free Member
    itsmygame
    Free Member

Hi mate. I just replaced the headset on my 2010rockhopper it has exactly the same hs as yours. It was labelled up as a fsr headset.

Ring don skene in Cardiff they are a spesh dealer …. Just use google to find number. They will now know what your talking about.

( they are 45 x 45 but the outer diameter is different / the chamfered edge is different. It was a pain in the bum )

Hope this helps. Whatever happens post back with ur findings.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bit of help needed – headset cartridge bearings.’ is closed to new replies.