Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Bit mean
  • penguinni

I put a small scratch on my 2011 Lime Green Heckler which exposed the white undercoat so I emailed Santa Cruz UK and asked if if was possible to obtain a “thimble full” of touch up paint.

They said:

“Hi Stephen,

Sorry no touch up paint I’m afraid ;(

Thanks

*****”

I just find it hard to believe they don’t have paint available.

Now wheres my MBUK free sticker sheet….

konabunny
    Free Member

I just find it hard to believe they don’t have paint available.

Where do they do the spraying?

camo16
    Free Member

The ‘Thanks’ is a nice touch.

It’s basically a ‘get lost you irritating tonk’ email, but the ‘thanks’ encourages you to write again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem myself.
    Get yourself down to your local motor factor to be colour matched. Then tell them you just want a thimble full, they might just give it to you for the laughter factor… 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Go and ride it and put some more scratches on it 🙂

penguinni

Its a small scratch and a thimble full is probably even more than I need! And I am/was prepared to pay – I just don’t need a full respray!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just get some nail varnish from Superdrug, then you can paint your pinkies with the left overs.

Plus, you’ll have the added bonus of looking delightful on the trail.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Put some rad stickers over the scratch innit.

grum
    Free Member

I’d need more than a thimble full to sort out all the scratches (and gouges) on my bike. Wot nickjb said.

I was precious about my bike when I first got it – now I quite like the battle scars 🙂

fenred
    Free Member

A lot of the oems are the same. I remember 10 or so years ago asking the same from local Specialized dealer to cover a 2-3mm chip and was told I could ‘buy’ touch in paint for about £15…didnt bother, battle scars add character.

Coyote
    Free Member

Touch up paint??? WTF!!!

Bikes are supposed to be ridden.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmmm…. Acid Orange fingernails and toenails to match my Wolf Ridge. I could pull that off!

Do Boots to custom colour matching? If no, I’m taking my frame there later.

duffmiver
    Free Member

If all you have on a your bike is a small scratch then you’re not riding it properly. Stop mincing!! 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Its a small scratch and a thimble full is probably even more than I need! And I am/was prepared to pay – I just don’t need a full respray!

Either 250ml or 500ml is the minimum order if it has to be mixed on site.

Tracey

When I bought my first bike in 1987 it came with a tube of touch up paint

camo16
    Free Member

Edit: No comment.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a scratch get over it.

Santa Cruz UK could have been a little bit more professional in their reply though.

peterfile
    Free Member

only on STW would you have someone willing to go to the trouble of trying to source a “thimble full” of original paint for a “small scratch” on their MOUNTAIN BIKE.

I scratch mine every time I ride it! Although, I am prone to hitting things or falling over.

😆

D0NK

Touch up paint??? WTF!!!

back in the day my emerald green lava dome with silver p2 forks came with a touch up kit, little vials of both emerald green and p2 silver.
    Don’t think I ever bothered.

TiRed

Go to Halfords – with bike, and try and match it to the 1000’s of samples they have. They’ll then make up a small pot. Certainly less than 250ml. I found a perfect metallic green match to my son’s Kona.

Top tip – buy a black bike, matching is straightforward.

Jamie
    Free Member

Santa Cruz UK could have been a little bit more professional in their reply though.

Could have been worse….

“Hi Stephen,

Sorry no touch up paint I’m afraid ;(

lolz!

*****”

Edit: …just noticed the unhappy emoticon. Now that is a poor show.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

really? they answered the question

sv

It spoils the look of it from the cafe though…

rocketman
    Free Member

Got £100 off a reasonable HT a while back because it had a slight scratch on the side of the top tube.

Bought some Humbrol paints from the local craft shop and mixed up an exact match, bit of laquer, T-cut, job done

camo16
    Free Member

Don’t any of you guys like PRETTY THINGS?

My bike looks like the victim of an acid attack. I hate to say it but I do wish it was prettier… Might need a couple of gallons of touch up, though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

really? they answered the question

Indeed they did, while sounding a bit ****.

Jamie
    Free Member

I would go for amateurish over ****.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Tamiya model paint. Probably park green.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would go amatwattish actually, now that I think about it. Or maybe twatateurish.

toys19
    Free Member

My transition covert and tr450 both came with a little pot of touch up paint. I touched myself up as soon as I saw them..

thomthumb
    Free Member

my 1996 gt tequesta came with touch up paint (2 colours as it was 2 tone) i have used one to touch up scratches on my inbred even though it’s a diffferent colour.

in short. just use any paint. the one from your kitchen radiator will probably do but bike/ car pain may be better. 🙂

stevenieve
    Free Member

I have a white Santa Cruz with a matte finish, tempted to use Tippex

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Meanies! Send them a packet of meanies crisps. Are they still around? lol

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I used a black marker pen on an old pair of black forks before ebaying them. My bike is ridden daily and looks that way I’d have to colour the whole frame in.

Stoner
    Free Member

My inbred came with touch up paint

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I set about all new bikes I buy with a chisel before even riding them…

Gotta look ‘core haven’t you!!

toys19
    Free Member

tsy last time I saw your bike it looked as though it had been licked clean by by 1000 babykitten cat pussy things.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haha… last time that bike got washed was when some bloke at Coed Y Brenin took pity on how filthy it was!

scruff
    Free Member

Top tip – buy a black bike, they are faster.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Top tip, ride your mates bikes to save damaging yours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bit mean’ is closed to new replies.