• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Birthday present ideas for an MTB rider
  • sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Ok so this is my first post on this forum and I’m hoping you guys can help me!

It’s my new husbands birthday shortly and he is a mountain biker, I’m a road cyclist and know very little about these risking life and limb in very muddy places. I’m looking for some suggestions for a present for him, bike related! He currently rides a Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc but would love a 29ner. He is also planning on entering the Ruthin MTB Marathon in September.

For this part of his present I can spend up to £70.

Ideas please…..

jimjam
    Free Member

A nice new lid. Or shorts. Or glasses. Or camelbak or something.

rewski
    Free Member

£70? Don’t you love him? Buy him the 29ner.

peterfile
    Free Member

yeah a good hydration pack would be useful if he doesn’t have one already. £70 is about spot on for a camelbak/deuter etc

enduro-aid
    Free Member

mmhh I would go down the route of a quality multi tool or a pump

somthing like a leyzne

the multi tool and CNC machined pumps are awesome looking bit of kit and really well made….bit of top quality engineering

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

rewski – I love him lots, but we came back from honeymoon on Sunday having spent a lot more than we meant to!

hmm he has a cheap hydration pack but yeah a decent one might be an option.

What about a subscription – any mags worth it?

rewski
    Free Member

Only kidding – multi tool’s are always welcome

What about a subscription – any mags worth it?

Yep – assume he already has Singletrack. I like MTB UK, it can be a bit laddy, but my 7 year old boy reads it too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about a bikelean?

jimjam
    Free Member

Assuming he already has a standard multi tool or 5, you could get him a Gerber or Leatherman style multi tool which are always reassuring to have on longer rides. You never know when you might have to mercy kill a moose or something.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get great at this and he’ll love you even more.

leffeboy

for 6 quid more you could get him a workstand. If he doesn’t have one already he will be a very happy man

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If you pushed the boat out by another fiver you could buy him a gift voucher for a days mountain bike instruction.

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Voucher’s valid for 12 months so he could choose when to do it.

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

I’d be chuffed if someone bought me this- Tool kit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good multitool or pump is a good idea

globalti
    Free Member

I can’t give you a link ‘cos I’m at work and the web Police might just stitch me up but….

Google Axfords or Vollers for something that will make him VERY happy. Take this from a cyclist whose wife has already spent the money.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

£70 is just about right for shoes, shorts, helmet, 2 jerseys, camelbak, 2 tyres, pedals… loads of stuff really.

Oh, and welcome 🙂

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

well you guys are certainly giving me some good ideas.

I might be a girl and a road cyclist, but I already owned the decent toolkit and workstand when he met me, so no need to buy those! He bought me a decent floor pump for my birthday, so he gets to use that. And family have decided to get him a days instruction….

I’m liking the leyzne stuff, and I’m liking the idea of a decent multi-tool. Then again maybe a day training on bike maintenance might be helpful then he can do it rather than me!

He’s a tall feller with a 38 inch waist, so any ideas for decent shorts or MTB top appreciated too….

robinbetts
    Free Member

+1 for coaching session.

Depending on your location, UK Bike Skills (Jedi on here) is highly rated and was the best £75 I’ve ever spent on my bike!

Edit: too slow

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Cake and Beer!

toons
    Free Member

+3 for skills day\coaching session

jedi

UK Bike Skills (Jedi on here) is highly rated and was the best £75 I’ve ever spent on my bike!

thanks for the kind words robin 🙂

midlifecrashes

Skills course would be good, but races and events are quite expensive. How about paying his entry and camp fees for the Ruthin weekend now so he doesn’t pull out of it on money worries if funds are tight. That way he still has the motivation to get training rides in all summer.

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

globalti – that’s made me laugh, I like your style, but it’s not his thing! He would prefer me to take him wild camping for a weekend than to dress up in that way!

The skills course is being bought for him by my family, so that’s in hand, they were going to let him choose which one he wanted… he was looking at the ones up at Dalby forest at that’s near by.

Am also wondering about some things to customise his bike a bit, as he hasn’t had it long, so has only changed the pedals so far… he likes things a little different…

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

a nice thomson seatpost?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tyres?

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

or something different a ukulele!

5lab

a dirtworker

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/tools/cycling-tools/bike-cleaning/product/review-dirtworker-portable-jet-washer-10403/

is a good present at roughly the right price range, if he drives to where he rides (rather than just riding there)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Birthday present ideas for an MTB rider’ is closed to new replies.