Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Birmingham – only UK city in 'Top 10 cities in the world'
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Wellington, Malaga and Hamburg are all fantastic cities, It’s refreshing to see a list that doesn’t contain the obvious and quite frankly boring options such as London.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That list does Wellington, which is excellent, a disservice.

badnewz
    Free Member

They’ve picked Birmingham as it would cause a reaction and get them more publicity to hawk their shite lists.

traildog
    Free Member

Birmingham is a much better place than you expect it to be. I have visited a number of times with a ‘local guide’. It appears to be a pleasant place to live, with some nice bars and restaurants.
    However, it’s probably not even made my top 5 of cities in England, never mind the UK and certainly not the top 10 of the world.
    Just because a place is not as bad as you think it’ll be doesn’t make it suddenly brilliant.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve been to some nice and some dodgy places over the years and I can honestly say Birmingham on a sat night walking with my family was one of the worst. I’d sooner walk through Newcastles bigg market on a derby day with a Sunderland top on!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Birmingham would struggle to make the top-ten list of places called Birmingham.

Teaspout!

binners

Birmingham is a much better place than you expect it to be.

As you can tell from the general tone of the answers, thats really not that high a watermark

A mate of mine was at uni there recently. He came home every weekend. When asked why, he just looked at me incredulously and said ‘have you been to Birmingham?’

chewkw
    Free Member

russ295 – Member
    I’d sooner walk through Newcastles bigg market on a derby day with a Sunderland top on!

Walked through Bigg Market the other day at 11pm. Ya, still the same lively crowds, why do the girls have to keep shouting? 😆

I would rate Newcastle higher than Birmingham anytime.

binners

scruff
    Free Member

Any old skaters know exactly how much of a dump Brum used to be as it was our playground. Very little of the original dump Brum is left in the central area.

plyphon
    Free Member

Interestingly I didn’t think toooooo much of Wellington when I was there.*

It’s still paradise compared to Birmingham tho!

*It’s still a lovely place on the waterfront, just an oddly set up city with more than its fair share of hookers and sketchy people.

NZCol

*It’s still a lovely place on the waterfront, just an oddly set up city with more than its fair share of hookers and sketchy people.

They’re called hipsters apparently

hels
    Free Member

Squirrelking I think you have the wrong Wellington in mind, the one that is Christchurch, I imagine.

Wellington is very hilly and a long way from being in “architectural disarray” it fact it has the largest wooden building in the Southern Hemisphere. So suck on that.

Duggan

Another tedious list generated purely for PR.

I’m from Birmingham originally and now live in Manchester via several other cities.

Birmingham is comfortably one of the worst big cities in the UK for me. I’ve had a few nights out there recently and must be going to a different city to everybody else because the nightlife was woeful. The Custard Factory is alright but that’s about it really.

The main accolade seems to be that it’s so much better than it used to be. well that’s definitely true but given what a dump it was before it’s hardly surprising.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have to admit to being surprised at how much better Birmingham is now than when I grew up nearby in the 80s/early 90s. I have memories of the annual christmas shopping trip to Birmingham and the horror that was the old Bullring. We avoided the place most of the time.

Roll on about 18 years and we started having 6 monthly team away days in Birmingham through work. We usually stay near the canal (Mailbox/Brindley Place) and it’s far more pleasant than I expected. I do remember even the locals struggling to think of somewhere decent for us to go after our meal though.

My expectations were VERY low though!

ryan91
    Free Member

I think Birmingham is a fantastic city, being a Wolverhampton lad and that…….. 😆

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Telegraph’s top 10 UK cities

Oh look, no Birmingham.

Obviously a bit of a stunt, but a slightly odd list. Must be hard putting pointless lists like that together anyway. Not easy to compare totally different cities in totally different countries.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i like Brum. it’s like any place you go to, to make the most of what it has to offer you have to research and plan…

here’s a link with some good stuff if you should ever venture there…

brum stuff

squirrelking
    Free Member

Squirrelking I think you have the wrong Wellington in mind, the one that is Christchurch, I imagine.

Wellington is very hilly and a long way from being in “architectural disarray” it fact it has the largest wooden building in the Southern Hemisphere. So suck on that.

Such a great city I got it confused with somewhere else. Says it all really 😛

Hah, just realised I committed the cardinal sin of getting the islands mixed up…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

As a Brummie who has spent a lot of time in Jburg, I find it baffling that either make the list!

walleater

Anyone who thinks that Birmingham shouldn’t be in the list clearly hasn’t lived in Acocks Green.

JCL
    Free Member

Gutted France didn’t make the list. Great city.

nickdavies

Birmingham is the best big city in the UK. Fact.

Show me anywhere else you can live and be in the peaks or North Wales in an hour and a half, lakes or Devon in 3 and if you really can’t be bothered to drive, cannock in 30mins!

Also excellent for the annual Scotland and Alps trips. That there London is 5 hours from anywhere, and I can probably get from birmingham to Dover on a Friday night in the same time it takes to get from London to the m25…. So in summary, Brum is a great place to live if you don’t want to be there!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

lots of exciting development on the way for brum

paradise…in fact

paradise

epicsteve
    Free Member

Birmingham is nowhere near as bad as it was, but it’s still struggle to make my top-10 cities in the UK list never mind top-10 in the world.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Birmingham is the best big city in the UK. Fact.

Show me anywhere else you can live and be in the peaks or North Wales in an hour and a half, lakes or Devon in 3 and if you really can’t be bothered to drive, cannock in 30mins!

So what you’re saying is, the best thing about Birmingham is that you can leave it to get to other places?

jambalaya
    Free Member

New Orleans being the inspiration for my login name has a certain place in my heart but that is a typical list designed to attract debate and publicity. Wellington NZ is the only remotely interesting city on that list and thats because its a gateway to other places. As posted above (binners as usual 🙂 ) Birmingham is awaful as are Rough Guides, there is. Reason Lonley Planet outsells them by some margin

@nickdavies – so the main selling point for Birmingham is you can get to other places easily 😉 (I see monro beat me to that observation)

13thfloormonk

Brum is a great place to live if you don’t want to be there!

I think NickDavies beat you both to it… 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Birmingham – only UK city in 'Top 10 cities in the world'’ is closed to new replies.