• This topic has 61 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Birdwatchtrackworld
  • geologist
    Free Member

Definitely, ive been birding all over the world for 20 years, and seen some amazing birds, and yet the sight of a barn owl, is still as fantastic as it was 20 years ago as a yoof.

Bunnyhop

Blackcaps have started to become more frequent garden visitors over the last couple of years, as have siskins.

Our local blackcap was singing for a mate the other day.

Excited to see our first swallows last Sunday.

Managed to see a little owl and a snipe on a local mtb ride 2 weeks ago, very nice.

geologist
    Free Member

Yeah, we have blackcaps daily in my garden, I did the rspb blackcap survey a few months ago, and ours behave totally wrong apparently! They are meant to be very aggressive within the garden bird community, yet ours are very stand offish and submissive, even with blue tits.

I find the natural world fasinating, how can a bird spend weeks rearing a chick, with total devotion, and then push it off a cliff, for no apparent reason?

corroded
    Free Member

Still need to identify some yellowish kind of bird, that’s kind of chaffinch sized.

Yellowhammer?

chorlton
    Free Member

Plenty of Blackcaps out the back of our garden because it’s quite scrubby which is great for wildlife and some birds like Blackcap, Nightingale and others as it’s untouched.
    Trouble is that increasing Deer population like to clear up the scrub.
    We need creatures like these back.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I find the natural world fasinating, how can a bird spend weeks rearing a chick, with total devotion, and then push it off a cliff, for no apparent reason?

Dunno but more humans should do that. 😈

TuckerUK
    Free Member

nice list Tucker i’m surprised no dunnock, fieldfare, bullfinch or Jackdaw though.

Thank you. I should have added I’m no bird spotter, and those are just the obvious ones I see. I have no doubt I’ve missed some. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for those in future.

Klunk
    Free Member

probably have to wait till october for the fieldfares they’ll be off up north for the summer. Should be a good time to spot Bullfinches they love apple buds and dunnocks will in and around your plant pots or rooting around your borders (also known as the hedge sparrow, they are quite bold when out for a walk and much more musical than the house sparrow)

andytherocketeer

Still need to identify some yellowish kind of bird, that’s kind of chaffinch sized.

Yellowhammer?

Thinking Yellow Wagtail now. We get lots of other wagtails too (like the pied wagtail, but isn’t). Seen one at work so hopefully it stops by for more than 2sec and I can get a better look.

BigSteve
    Free Member

Thinking Yellow Wagtail now. We get lots of other wagtails too (like the pied wagtail, but isn’t).

If it looks and acts like a wagtail but has yellow in it, it’s more likely to be a Grey Wagtail. If it’s more chaffinch shaped then it’s more likely to be something like a siskin.

breadcrumb

Found these two in my back garden the other morning.

Made a right mess of my planters. What does peacock taste like?

jambon
    Free Member

We have about 40 Griffon Vultures that have been roosting a few hundred metres away for the past six months and regular visits by Eagles and Honey Buzzards. The wildlife in Spain is really tame compared with the UK. For the second year running we’re being pestered by sparrows who are desperate to get into to house to roost! The missus found one in the stove the other day – it had flown down the chimney. The wandering groups of Ibex are my favourite though.

geologist
    Free Member

I hate you 😉 jealously is a bad thing

jambon
    Free Member

The flip side is that I’m stuck in London working with no bike if it makes you feel better. And my riding in Spain is always solo which just isn’t as much fun, although some of the trails are awesome.

kerv
    Free Member

Did someone say baby Robin?Fledged in our garden this very day! 🙂 😀
    010 by [url=http://

jambon
    Free Member

Bloody Hell, that’s early isn’t it! It doesn’t look impressed with its ‘hair do’ though.

bhmartin
    Free Member

I think a lot of what were British native birds have emigrated to Spain for the better weather.We are inland from Malaga and have lots of Sparrows,Thrushes,Blackbirds and Robins and they seem to be thriving.

kerv
    Free Member

@jambon, I thought his folks were still building the nest then I spotted next doors f**kin cat stalking him earlier. Luckily got out in time to pop a cap in kitty’s ass! (not really)

whitegoodman
    Free Member

kerv – Member
    Did someone say baby Robin?Fledged in our garden this very day!
    010 by [url=http://

How cool is that, given the none spring we’ve had.

jambon
    Free Member

Bloody domestics cats – should be banned.

whitegoodman
    Free Member

jambon – Member
    Bloody domestics cats – should be banned.

Half decent dogs will deal with them, one menace we hardly ever see.

Muke
    Free Member

Can’t do anything in the garden without a Robin being within a few feet.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Birdwatchtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.