Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Binding headset!
  • Inbred456
    Free Member

Bike in question is a Scott Spark 10 carbon FS. The headset has developed a bit of play and is prone to binding up if left for any period of time. The headset is a Ritchey Pro 1 1/8? semi integrated 44/50mm. If the headset is goosed and needs replacing, is it possible to press a new one in as you would with a steel or ally frame or is it a job best left to the dealer. Bike is an Ex Demo so its had a bit of stick over in the lakes for a couple of years. Any advice gratefully received.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

most carbon bikes have integral headsets. open it up and see whats in there. hope do one infact most companys are making one now as the demand has grown. http://www.hopegb.com/voir_hsg.html there proper easy to change over. x

Inbred456
    Free Member

Great thanks, will strip it down and see whats up.

crikey
    Free Member

Probably the bottom race is full of rust.

Take the botom and top race out, open the sealing, fill with grease, then put the top one on the bottom and vice versa. Should work for another 12 months or so.

RustyMac

You should be able to source some repacement bearings for it if you are worried about removing and replacing the whole headset i googled the bearing number for the bearings in my fsa one and found bearings for less than a tenner.

Good luck

Rusty

Inbred456
    Free Member

It's not my bike so I'll leave the cups alone if they are OK. Nothing to lose by swapping the races over and regreasing. I don't think the headset itself is that expensive so if they are shot can always replace bearings or replace headset.

Cheers for the Advice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Binding headset!’ is closed to new replies.