Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bin collections- 1 or 2 weeks who’s bothered?
  • colnagokid

Inspired by som ecomments on the ‘voteing BNP’ thread about bins(!)I put my wheely bin out this morning, 1st time in about 6 weeks, I recycle tins, glass, paper, so how much rubbish do you acctually produce in a week that makes weekly bin collection necessary?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so how much rubbish do you acctually produce in a week

LOL not as much as RudeBoy !

nickjb
    Free Member

ours never gets anywhere near full

uplink
    Free Member

7 in our house so once a week is pretty much needed

eckinspain
    Free Member

Ours is collected every day so it clearly never gets full

jova54
    Free Member

We’re still stuck with bin bags.

We recycle all the paper, metal, glass and plastic that we can and still have 2 bags of othr rubbish each week plus we compost all vegetable matter as well.

One of the joys of living in the affluent south.

trailmonkey

2 plus 2 kids. Trash one week, Re-cyc the next. Just about works out but sometimes the trash gets pretty full.

nickc

2 week collection here. household one week, garden the next. It’s a rare week we get any where near a full bin. 2+2 kids

colnagokid

so as I suspect if you recycle to a reasonable amount, you cant fill your bin in 2 weeks (sorry Daily Mail)

ridethelakes
    Free Member

How the hell do you people do it? 2 adults and one poo monster here and its ridiculous having collection fortnightly and yes we do recycle. Its ridiculous and I think many people keep quiet just because its for the ‘environment’.

Theres definitely a business opportunity for someone to set up and do private collections.

allyharp

We had collections every 2 weeks for about 6 months round here and ours was often over full. We recycle all glass, plastic bottles & milk cartons and most papers.

Weekly collections got reinstated at the last election after loads of complaints.

clubber
    Free Member

2 weeks collection for bins, weekly for food waste and recycling. Fill our bin completely every two weeks. There’s two of us plus mini-clubber (1 year so nappies). We’re fine with it usually.

Our bin men are on strike at the moment though which isn’t good – the waste food hasn’t been collected for two weeks now and with the heat is breeding maggots…

mrsflash
    Free Member

We have the normal bin collected once a week, but the recycling bin every month. It’s ridiculous. We have two small bags at most in the normal bin a week, and the recycling bin is often over full. We need fortnightly collections of both, alternate weeks. Sorted.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Weekly rubbish and recycling here, and I have a large compost bin. As a yuppies couple we only really produce any refuse at the weekend. We could go to 2-weekly and the only problem would be remebering which week…

petrieboy

problem round here is the recycling collection only take garden waste, glass and metal. so to recycle plastic bottles and cardboard you need to fill the car and make a trip to the recycling centre and i just cant see that as being especially green. i’d like to recycle more, but they don’t make it easy.

samuri
    Free Member

We could manage fortnighly since we got a recycling bin. The amount of room that tin cans and plastic milk bottles take up is amazing. And then obviously there’s the wifes nightly 3 litre bottle of white lightning

Rich
    Free Member

Rubbish bin one week, recycling the next, so fortnightly collections, and it is just about OK with 6 in the house.

The recycling bin is always closer to overflowing than the rubbish bin.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I suppose to a large extent it depends what the recycling bin will take. Ours takes most plastics, tin cans, paper and cardboard. We take glass to the bottle bank and have a compost bin, we have a milkman so the bottles for milk just go back to him. We throw away the odd bits of plastic we can’t recycle but really there’s not actually that much that goes in the normal bin when you think about it.

Rich
    Free Member

petrieboy – Member

problem round here is the recycling collection only take garden waste, glass and metal. so to recycle plastic bottles and cardboard you need to fill the car and make a trip to the recycling centre and i just cant see that as being especially green.

That’s pretty rubbish.

Our recycling bin can contain paper, cardboard, plastic, glass or metal.

We then have a separate bin for grass, hedge cuttings, small branches, etc.

Pretty good really, well done Stafford!

petrieboy

rich – i like what you did there! 🙂

petrieboy

we have one big brown wheelie bin for garden waste and compostable kitchen waste but other than a couple of times a year when we do some proper gardening, its just the contents of the lawn mower and kitchen stuff. could easily live with a much smaller one if only we could recycle the plastic and cardboard

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

In Harrogate they won’t introduce wheelie bins. We normally can just about manage just one ordinary black bin bag full, occasionally two. At least it is collected weekly though.

But we also have a garden recycling wheelie bin (if they can do it for garden waste, why not for household??????) which is every other week but now they won’t supply any more and have told our neighbours (seriously) to use ours. As mowing the (shared between 6 houses) lawn can fill it once, it is utterly useless. We also recycle glass and tin but for some damn stupid reason they won’t take plastic (although other councils on North Yorkshire will).

If we ever have card we nip to the tip with it. Magazines/papers get made into logs for our stove.

The whole system is a **** mess. Can I vote BNP if I nip in today? 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

so how much rubbish do you acctually produce in a week

LOL not as much as RudeBoy !

You will die for this.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

After my collections became once fortnightly i have decided once my bin is full i burn everything that won’t fit in the bin !! Plastics the lot…no birds nesting in my chimney 😯

mos

plastic bottles shrink down proper small when you burn them!

Rich
    Free Member

God, cant imagine not having a wheelie bin, we have had them for years!

We did used to have a small container for recycling, but that is now a full size wheelie bin with a caddy inside it.

Pieface

I recycel my stuff, but given that the plastic recycling (who knows what else) facilities in this country can only handle PET 1 (IIRC), and glass uses loads of energy to recycle, I often wonder whether it actually achieves anything other than to make us feel that we’re making a contribution to the benefit of the environment.

ransos
    Free Member

We have weekly food waste & recycling, plus fortnightly “residual” wheelie bin. It takes us at least 2 months to fill the wheelie bin, usually 3, I have no idea how some of our neighbours manage to fill theirs up so quickly.

grumm
    Free Member

I wonder about this too Pieface – doesn’t half of it get shipped to China to go in a landfill? We should be trying to reuse glass instead of recycle it – we used to reuse milk and pop bottles etc, and many countries have a deposit thing on them, why can’t we manage it?

Composting is a great idea though.

I’m not bothered about the fortnightly collections – we don’t have wheelie bins but don’t seem to generate much rubbish. There is only two of us in the house though.

Rich
    Free Member

, I often wonder whether it actually achieves anything other than to make us feel that we’re making a contribution to the benefit of the environment.

I know, especially after watching the documentary where the recycling was just being taken to the local dump anyway.

I do it to make space in the main bin as much as anything, and also if we dont do it they wont collect the rubbish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We live in an old tenement so our bin is a communal skip 100m away ( and 104 stairs down)

Two adults who produce about a bag of rubbish a week or less and 1/2 a bag of recycling.

One way to reduce rubbish is siply to refuse packaging. Anything with excess packaging the packaging gets left in the shop. I ain’t carrying packaging up the stair simply to take it down again

thegreatape
    Free Member

2 adults 2 kids
    Rubbish bin weekly, usually half full.
    Recycling bin monthly, always bursting.
    Have only had the recycling bin this year, what a difference it’s made to how full the rubbish bin gets.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

2 adults, 1 child. Every 6 weeks/two months would suit us just fine.

Shame those who chose not to generate rubbish have to subsidize those who do.

mistermouse
    Free Member

I’ve got fortnightly collections (fridays)in wheelie bins and generally it is ok except if i go away for a long weekend and the bin doesn’t get emptied, its 12 feet from the road and if i dont put it on the kerb it won’t get emptied.It can get quite smelly and maggoty in the summer.

ransos
    Free Member

I wonder about this too Pieface – doesn’t half of it get shipped to China to go in a landfill?

No – that would be illegal. There have been some problems with illegal shipments of general waste, but the perpetrators have been prosecuted.

It’s permissable to send segregated waste abroad for recycling, but it tends to be within the EU.

Nick

Fortnightly collections, wheely bin is half full on average.

We recycle glass, tins, paper and plastic bottles (although the latter we have to take to the tip ourselves).

How? We don’t buy stuff wrapped in packaging if we can avoid doing so, plus we compost, plus we just don’t buy much stuff/crap we don’t need.

Oh and I brew my own beer so I recycle my own bottles.

grumm
    Free Member

No – that would be illegal. There have been some problems with illegal shipments of general waste, but the perpetrators have been prosecuted.

I’m sure I read an article saying that there was stuff going to China supposedly for recycling, but it was actually just dumped. Can’t remember where I read it though.

djglover
    Free Member

Before the kids I filled one bin a month and recycled everything else, now we throw away about 3 bin bags a week, mainly of nappies!

ransos
    Free Member

“I’m sure I read an article saying that there was stuff going to China supposedly for recycling, but it was actually just dumped. Can’t remember where I read it though.”

We can only export waste for recycling (Transfrontier shipment of waste directive). I’m not saying it never happens, but it’s the exception rather than the rule.

ziggy
    Free Member

I think collections should be charged by weight, as someone pointed out why should I subsidise other peoples excessive waste generation?

Our bins round here already have RFID chips in them so it’s not far away. It’s up to you then to choose weekly/monthly bin collections.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bin collections- 1 or 2 weeks who’s bothered?’ is closed to new replies.