• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bimbo losing the plot? Central heating content, yawn!
  • cinnamon_girl

Darn crap quality boiler playing up again so no heating earlier. I telephoned boiler manufacturer to find out about a local engineer and apparently it’s carried out via Home Serve.

I was given two options, first was to pay £255 for them to come out and this would include parts guaranteed for 30 days. Second option was to pay £300 and it would be guaranteed for 12 months.

I stated that I didn’t like their way of doing things and would I get a refund if engineer was only in my house for 20 minutes. I then proceeded to say that if I was buying a new boiler, which my house probably does need, then I definitely wouldn’t consider theirs.

What’s wrong with paying a call-out rate followed by an hourly rate? Their way of doing things just smacks of dishonesty.

Can’t help feeling that I really pi$$ed off this poor bloke with my wimmins logic. 😆

Bear
    Free Member

British Gas fixed one off repair, or better still ask your friends for a recommendation.

And bloody hell can’t believe they get many customers like that! But they will make loads of money of all the quick easy fixes that they can carry out!

cinnamon_girl

Oooh that was quick Bear!! Thanks!

Boiler is made by Alpha, was there when I moved in. My usual plumber suggested I get an Alpha engineer as he had no experience of this make.

Would BG be cheaper do you think?

trail_rat
    Free Member

tis the same with certain brands of white goods.

pay a set fee and they will fix it…..unless its broke of course and you loose the fee and have not got it fixed.

cinnamon_girl

Well, yes, trail_rat. My worry is that it’s beyond repair, am not staying here long-term, and I have no heating in half of the house anyway. Getting it fixed will not help that as the boiler isn’t powerful enough for the size of the house.

geoffj

British Gas fixed one off repair,

or they condem it in which case you’re in a more difficult position.

falkirk-mark

from what you say it sounds like you need a new boiler

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

BG never cheaper…

dooosuk
    Free Member

Do you own the home?

Would getting a new boiler on the GreenDeal be a possibility? I don’t know much about it, but it basically sounds like you pay it back monthly via your gas bill. When you sell the property, the remaining amount owed is transfered with the property and the new owners continue to pay for the new boiler.

So you only pay for it whilst you’re getting the benefit.

ononeorange

CG is it an Alpha range-type thing? If so my Dad has one and (good) local guy can always sort it. It has been a little temperamental.

As above, the downside that I see with BG fixed service contracts is that they have an incetive to condemn boilers against which you have no say.

yossarian
    Free Member

british gas came out to fix my boiler and actually made it worse.

I just called them out again to fix it and then refused to pay the second call out.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for helpful suggestions. 🙂

House was extended with no thought given to central heating so it’s just been tagged on. There is a blockage somewhere and have been advised that pipework needs replacing plus new boiler plus bigger and more rads.

I’ve not heard of the Green Deal so will look into that so thanks for the suggestion.

Will not be staying here long-term anyway, fingers crossed.

Bear
    Free Member

CG – replying to the forum is always more interesting than paperwork!

Yes BG do have a condemn it reputation, mind you with an Alpha that is no bad thing!

Best bet is to try to find friendly local guy, do you ride with a group, if so ask there as someone will know of a decent plumber.

d45yth
    Free Member

DON’T USE BRITISH GAS! My Grandma had a water leak in her central heating and British Gas quoted her thousands to fix the problem…mainly due to concrete floors and buried pipes. My dad sent a plumber he uses round and it was fixed for a £100! My dad did have to go round and fill the hole back in but it only needed a bucket-full of concrete. BG were going to dig the whole floor up in the hallway and replace all the pipes!!!

KonaTC

C-G,

Our 12 year old boiler broke down before Christmas and not knowing anyone local we call BG, from memory their boiler fix fees are: less than 30 min £80, more than 30 mins but less than 2 hrs £180, more than 2 hrs but less than 4 £320, then £400.. 😯

We opted to join their boiler service plan £99 upfront then £20 a month, seems a lot but my logic says a 12 year old boiler that broke down will break down again quite soon afterwards, but so far things look good.

PS how is the shoulder?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you could sign up to service contact and pay small some a month its then labour free. I pay 12 a month with EON

sausagefingers
    Free Member

i have an alpha boiler that was playing up before christmas,didn’t fancy paying the plumber’s fees so a quick look on google and off to the local merchants and fixed it myself for £7.50.easypeasy
    only thing is that when i ‘fixed it’ i also got water on the circuit board and had to call the plumber out – £300
    damn my fat fingers

Bear
    Free Member

mmm, that sounds like a tall story to me CG, you need some good advice from someone you can trust, but if you aren’t staying there then probably not worth the expense.

cinnamon_girl

Bear – paper work is OK, would hate to think that you’re slacking. 😉 You’re obviously not impressed with Alpha then, just like my plumber. Will carry on nursing boiler!

Kona – just before Xmas, it’s always the way isn’t it??

Shoulder is fine thanks. How are you after your scare, back riding now?

Everyone – thanks again. I have a real problem with ‘service contracts’ and avoid them like the plague.

Interestingly the Green Deal scheme only covers condensing boilers and is not yet operational.

Shall just plod on but thank goodness I have merino, assorted fleeces, Gore jacket so shouldn’t get too cold. 🙂

KonaTC

C-G,

Feeling better so started small amounts of exercise, only riding a gym bike, you know the ones with massive saddles 8O, 40 mins 3 times a week at level 1.

Got my next Hospital appointment mid Feb, so hope gentle exercise will improve my lung function so the consultant will give me the go ahead for a proper fitness recovery plan; going to get a personal trainer though to make sure I don’t overdo it and optimise my recovery. 😆

Hopefully see you soon, probably when the weather breaks.

Kona TC

Bear
    Free Member

So your existing Alpha is pre condensing? Is it a combi boiler? If so must be quite old.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bimbo losing the plot? Central heating content, yawn!’ is closed to new replies.