Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Biking vehicle w normal speed limits
  • lochussie
    Free Member

My ideal vehicle:
    Low enough to get kayaks on roof easily
    Big enough to get 2 people and 2 muddy bikes and gear inside easily and easy to keep fairly clean inside. This is maybe the killer for estates. I’ve been using a Golf and it works but it is a faff and manky.
    Definitely has normal speed limits. This is the killer for a lot of vans.
    Drives fairly well and has a bit of style
    Ability to carry more than 2 people a bonus

What are my options? I was thinking maybe a Caddy Kombi ticks all the boxes.

Alternatively, is there a roofrack setup that can take 2 bikes or 2 kayaks (more ideally) with minimal reconfiguration when swapping between bikes and boats?

matt_outandabout

Most people carriers would work.

bigyinn
    Free Member

What do you mean by “normal speed limits”?

jimdubleyou

What do you mean by “normal speed limits”?

Vans have lower speed limits than cars on certain roads.

roverpig

I’m sure you know this already, but according to gov.uk

“Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)”

Have normal speed limits.

Not sure how these differ from:

“Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)”

Which have a lower limit on dual carriageways (although the same on a motorway).

km79
    Free Member

Whether you like it or not, I think you just described a berlingo multispace.

Kahurangi

….
    Not sure how these differ from:
    …..

My campervan was built from a common LWB panel van, so because the V5C defined it as a Light Good Vehicle and Panel Van, it was subject to 50/60/70 mph speed limits.

With a bit of paperwork to the DVLA showing how it is converted to a camper van, it is defined as a MOTOR CARAVAN on the V5C and is now subject to 60/70/70 speed limits.

HTH.

Before that we had an old Sharan as a bike wagon. Seats come out, loads of space. Seats go back in, 7 person ppl carrier.

roverpig

Ah, so that’s what people mean when they talk about getting their conversion reclassified as a motor caravan. Thanks for clearing that up.

whitestone
    Free Member

Most vans I see on the road are going at least as fast as the cars 😆

We’ve a Skoda Roomster and can get 3 bikes and people inside – need to take two of the seats out for this. We don’t have the roof rack for the car but I can’t see it be a problem.

benp1

has a bit of style

Well that writes off ALL people carriers immediately. Plus all van based cars (like berlingos etc). They win on kit carrying ability but not on style

Something with style means a proper large estate, golf is a hatch/small family based estate. You need an exec sized estate – mondeo, e class, v70 etc. Maybe a Forester if you want a bit more height?

A hatchbag or tarp will keep the inside nice

lochussie
    Free Member

Just looked up Hatchbags, they look great. Anyone using one with big estate? It looks like you could drop front wheels out and lay in 2 filthy bikes and gear without much risk of getting floor/sides/roof dirty.

At the moment using Golf hatchback, it works but is a faff getting bikes in then packing gear around them, and the upper walls and ceiling get pretty grubby. Does a large estate sort all this?

roverpig

I’ve had a Subaru Forester for the past six years. Went with the leather seats and it’s coped well with kids and me chucking muddy bikes in from time to time (although they are on the roof most times). Mind you, I’m not that fussed about keeping it tidy, but it still scrubs up OK when I do clean it out (about once a year!). Done 140K in it from new and it’s never missed a beat. Plenty of power too.

At 6′ tall I would still say that the roof rack is only just OK. I can lift my normal bikes up and down OK, but tend to use a small stool when I want to put the (heavier) fatbike up there as it’s just too much of a stretch.

If I were looking for a similar replacement I’d probably go for the Outback just to make getting things on and off the roof a bit easier.

trail_rat
    Free Member

a bit of style – then suggests a caddy …..hmmm oxymoron.

sounds like sir needs a berlingo.

rickmeister

Something with M1 type approval. Its in the VIN number. Passenger vehicle unlike N1 commercial.
    Some T5 and other bigger vans have this.
    Or get a Caddy type thing.

Its an absolute minefield.

trail_rat
    Free Member

not really ALL berlingo multispace are passsenger cars and subject to lower speed limits.

It makes a mockery when my motorcaravan weighing 2.5 tonnes empty and up to 3.5 tonnes laden can travel at normal speed limits and a piffy little caddy weighing as much as a fag packet cannot.

jamesoz

FWIW In 25 years running vans and working with people also running vans I have never known anybody get pulled for traveling at car speed. Not that I would ever speed of course.

An Astravan, which many a tradesman mourns its loss has a low roof and I think had car speed limits.
    Used to be great for carrying ladders due to the low roof, now you need ladders to get the ladders off or a van big enough to put them inside.

benp1

At the moment using Golf hatchback, it works but is a faff getting bikes in then packing gear around them, and the upper walls and ceiling get pretty grubby. Does a large estate sort all this?

Honestly, no

A bigger estate has more floor space and potentially more height. As a result it’s easier to get big or cumbersome things in and out.

But the roof lining is still fabric and usually light coloured so there is a risk this is going to get dirty

Having a bike vertical gives you more floor room but you’ll need a car with sufficient height clearance for that – which leads you back to people carriers or car based vans

For me, cars can be stylish and so can vans. People carriers can’t pull it off and car based vans are as bad. I understand they’re practical though.

I’m happy with a big estate for now, but I’d love something like a T5 kombi. It’s a van with some car properties, rather than a car-based van like partner combi or a berlingo. But cars drive better than vans. Fact. I still love vans, and they go well, but they’re designed for lugging stuff around, not driving pleasure

mark90
    Free Member

FWIW In 25 years running vans and working with people also running vans I have never known anybody get pulled for traveling at car speed.

The people I know who have been done got pinged for travelling over the car speed limit, but then charged with exceeding the van speed limit. Eg done for 20mph over the limit rather than 10mph over the limit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lass i know got pulled for 59 on the a9 north of Inverness….In a vivaro

It’s strange how 4 pieces of extra glass makes you think it’s suddenly uncool.

qwerty
    Free Member

😯 (current Blingo owner) – but this would make loading your kayaks easierer 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

moved from a clio – transporter – 5 series.

Just as much mud on the inside of the 5 series as the clio – it’s easier to clean though, as it’s better quality + leather.

My mates have a battered old berlingo – will take a couple of bikes wheels off upright in the boot with all seats up. This appeals…

scud
    Free Member

Second (..or third..) a Citreon Berlingo, not going to win any style points, but loads of space, used to put down double rear seat and can fit three people and 3 bikes in upright and whole and still have space for camping kit for a week and 18 cases of Belgian beer. Comfortable for long journeys, raised tailgate instead of double doors so you can sit out of the rain, cheap to run and insure (due to average owner being either 84 or Motability customer) and the 2.0 HDi engine isn’t bad at all

benp1

not going to win any style points

due to average owner being either 84 or Motability customer

So that shouldn’t be an option. Unless the OP is going to compromise on the being stylish bit

I don’t deny they’re practical. They are. Very. And with the ability to buy an Ambro unit to plug into the back to make it a camper it becomes even more practical.

But they are as ugly as sin

boggie62
    Free Member

Just got a Skoda Roomster after having Merivas for years. Much better for bikes, with the seats out the lower floor and huge tailgate means bikes can be easily loaded stood up with front wheel off. The slightly high rear sill means the saddle has to dropped to get the bike in but thats not a problem. Very nice to drive too. Some models do have roof rails as standard.

40mpg

Passat estate works for me. 2 bikes in the back with front wheel off laid on a tarp to keep the car clean. Or 4 bikes on the roof (Thule rack) plus kit and camping gear for 4 easily. Then I’ve got a separate pair of roof bars which i strap 3 kayaks to. Not too high lifting stuff onto the roof with my dodgy back either.

Then unladen it’s a nice comfy space for eating miles, 50+ mpg too (about 40mpg with bikes on roof)

aracer
    Free Member

If that really is an important issue, then you want a big estate rather than the MPVs most are suggesting. When I last replaced my car I considered a Berlingo and looked at Galaxys (or similar) and and an S-Max. However they were all going to make loading kayaks too much of a pain – I reckon I’d have needed a step. It does of course depend what you’re loading – I mostly carry a 6m long surfski on a V rack – not any heavier than most little boats, but more awkward. I have a Mondeo estate and use a tarp in the boot – I have got marks on the roof lining, but only when carrying far more than a couple of bikes. 2 people 2 bikes would be a doddle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is that legal scotroutes

aracer
    Free Member

You don’t carry the boats there, tr – the bars pivot and slide up onto the roof taking the boats with them. A clever idea – though one which wouldn’t work very well for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah ok

scottfitz
    Free Member

Passat Estate 02 or 03 plate 130bhp around £1200 for me.
    Does 50mpg, much faster than most vans.
    2 bikes in with wheels front wheels off
    or
    1 bike in with wheels on.
    nice and low for kayaks.

andyl
    Free Member

Works for two canoe/kayaks on a Tourneo

http://kari-tek.webflow.io/shop/roof-racks-rails/easy-load-roof-racks#!/Easy-Load-Roof-Rack-crossbar-mounting/p/57133475/category=15487440

I want to see someone load their bikes like that!

flowerpower
    Free Member

You DO get pulled for driving car speeds in a van 😳

Especially, it seems, on A roads in Invernesshire. The static cameras don’t get you, but unmarked police cars will hop down a line of cars travelling at about 60mph, to specifically pull out the Caddy maxi in the middle of the line.

It’s happened to me twice – now I drive at 50, generally with a Volvo up my back bumper and a long line of frustrated car drivers behind. Next time I will get a car derived van…

tobymc

Scotroutes has just described the car I’m selling at this very moment! It even has a hitch and roof bars….. probably on about page 6 of the classifieds. Email in profile.
    Here endeth the high jack.

shifter
    Free Member

Matra Rancho.

trail_rat
    Free Member

So that shouldn’t be an option. Unless the OP is going to compromise on the being stylish bit

By proxy so is the caddy then it’s a very similar look 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Biking vehicle w normal speed limits’ is closed to new replies.