Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Biking Van Help – rental
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

I’m after a bit of advice. I need to rent a van to take 6 people (5 + me) and their bikes. I had a transit 9 seater which I can take the rear 3 seats out of and do this easily. I’m looking at renting a Mercedes Vito 9 Seater or a VW Caravelle 9 Seater but I’m worried because I’m not sure that I can take the rear seats out and if it’ll be big enough to fit in the 6 bikes.

Anyone got any experience and can help me please??

Cheers,

Doug.

geoffj

A 6-seater Renault Traffic crew van would work without any mods.
    You should check with the rental company about taking the seats out as well, because there may be insurance issues if you stack and the vehicle has fewer seats than identified on the V5 and insurance.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cheers Geoffj, the option I’m being given is either a Merc Vito or VW Caravelle, find out closer to the time. Nobody at the hire company (in Spain) seems to be able to help more about removing seats etc. I’m struggling to find anyone to rent a crew cab type van because that’d be ideal. The 9 seater transit is perfect too.

steveh

All the vitos and t5’s i’ve seen have removable seats. The 9 seat versions of either will give you some room. Do you want to move bikes for shuttling runs or just for an airport transfer? A 9 seat vito will be a long wheel base a caravelle will almost certainly be a short wheelbase.
    Use this check the info on line and pick the biggest, i’d bet it’s the vito though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks steveh! I thought the seats removed but on the Arnold Clark site (thrown up by google) it specifically states that the seats can’t be removed on hire vans. I’ll persevere with the hire company to double check.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Van Help Rental?

Sounds like a Dutch artist to me.
    😉

steveh

A second look on the MB website show that it is now possible to get a 9 seat compace vito (ie swb) but it has no room at all for stuff. If both are SWB then you’ll better with the VW.
    If you actually can’t remove the rear seats in either (if the rental company changes the clamps/adds something to them/orders a special) you’re a bit stuffed!

You definitely need a definitive answer from them I think.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Where will you put the seats once you have removed them, remember its a hire van they may not take to kindly to you taking seats out and then getting them dumped in their office.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cheers guys! I’m going to book and mail the rental company for a definite answer.

“Where will you put the seats once you have removed them” I’m going to give them to IWH to sell on the classifieds of course! Nah, I’ve got a garage / workshop here that they’ll go in nicely. I’m picking the van up a good bit before it’s needed incase of any issues!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Biking Van Help – rental’ is closed to new replies.