Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Biking on isle of Arran, road or mountain bike?
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

Going on holiday in may just wondered what’s there biking wise and if its worth taking either with me?

faz083
    Free Member

Can’t get away with both? 😛

A cursory glance on Google Maps looks epic for road cycling and lots of potential for nice mountain biking. You’ll have fun with either.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I’ve cycled there two or three times. You could, if keen, cover all the roads in a day, certainly two. Alas no experience of the MTB stuff (there is a club website with info) – I would take both. Arran Bike Club

iainc

great road riding and equally good off road. as above, Arran bike club routes are good, and the Cleuchlands loop, linked to their classic black is a testing day out. all good riding though

thecrookofdevon

Both. Road riding good although in my opinion slightly limited. Mountain biking to the South of Brodick is excellent. Trails all over the place. I wouldn’t bother trying to do the pointy stuff to the North.

stucol
    Free Member

Been round it several times on the road bike. Great ride with lovely scenery and quiet roads.

You can also do the 5 ferries ride based there.

MBR had a route a few months back from the Loch Ranza Distillery, over the hills to the north of it and back round to Sannox. Looked a cracking route.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Thanks all I need to try and fit both bikes in I reckon although we’re staying further north so may opt for road bike this time

edward2000
    Free Member

If you see those sand containers on the beach at Brodick, it was me who sold them to North Ayrshire Council 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

What’s wrong with just the mtb and an extra set of folding slicks in the case?

roady_tony
    Free Member

@stucol… 5 ferries ride?
    as above comments, nice riding, if going in summer prepare well for midges, and also significant traffic increase on roads

franksinatra

Roads are beautiful but were in really poor condition with lots of potholes when I was there early last year.

christhetall
    Free Member

The mountain biking is superb – have a look at the Arran Bike Club website linked above. Did some lovely stuff on the East Coast – I can highly recommend the Laggan descent, Clauchlands ridge, Glen Cloy and the stuff in the woods above Whiting Bay.

The descent south from the end of the Clauchlands ridge is one of the most stunning bits of riding I’ve ever done – a steep path heading towards the sea with a rather unnerving drop to the left

cupra
    Free Member

Both but the roads are poor at the moment.

franksinatra

When we were there last year they were building up to a big military exercise. The bay had a couple of destroyers in it and when we were going back on the ferry there were two merlin helicopters tracking the ferry, one about 1/2 mile away dangling a sonar into the water and another cirling the ferry about 25m’s away. A CalMac crew member said that the submarines often ‘hide’ under the ferry when doing exercises. Was very exciting stuff.

It is a stunning island. Can’t wait to go back.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

christhetall can you describe which bit of the claughlands ridge has the descent at all? It sounds very appealing!

http://binged.it/YJI3kM

mtbmatt
    Free Member

MTB if you can only take one. Arran MTB club are great, I joined them for a night ride when I was there a few years back. Very friendly bunch with great routes.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

This is great thanks all, I’ve had a look at Arran mtb website looks good with some routes to try. Thought about getting in touch to do night ride with them will have to see as I will have wife and little one to think of too. I did think the road bike would work better as I could nip out most days for an hr or two whereas the mtb trips would take up more time away from family, but if the roads are bob not sure i want to spend most of my time fixing punctures!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The roads are alright, no more potholes than anywhere else. You said you’re staying in the north, Lochranza?. As said earlier, you could ride all the roads on the island in less than a day, there is wayyyy much more off road stuff on the island. If you only get an hour or two here or there, I’d take the road bike. If you get a couple of 3 or 4 hour rides, then mtb, no question.

If you want route advice, email is in profile.

richmtb

I’ve done the round Arran road cycle once. Its the sort of thing that on you tick list if you live in that part of the world. Point is I’m not in a rush to do it again.

I do try and get over at least once a year for a day out on the mountain bike.

The stuff on the Clauclands ridge is some of the sweetest natural singletrack you will find. Its a shame its over too soon. Lots of other riding too.

The Arran MTB guys will sort you out. The last time I was over they had even went to the trouble of waymarking some of the routes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Biking on isle of Arran, road or mountain bike?’ is closed to new replies.