Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • biking near north east london
  • jamesca
    Free Member

during the week I am living in north east London, but for the next few weeks I won't be back home at the weekends so I have bought my bike down with me for some mid week riding.

form the little looking I have done there is either epping forest, which is within 25miles but from other posts it seems that it's hard to find the good stuff and is muddy even after a few weeks of good weather (which is a problem as I live in upstairs flat)

PORC, this seems like it will be easier to find my way around but I have to cross over to south London during rush hour.

Has anyone any opinions on these riding location, I prefer downs, jumps, drops, play areas but do also enjoy trails.

Also are there any other places I should be looking at prefer max 1hr drive from city airport area?

thanks in advance

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, you'll be right by Beckton Alps!

Epping is the obvious choice, but tbh, if you're expecting loads of fantastic trails nearby, then you're out of luck. Having sad that, Epping offers some nice flowing singletrack, but it does take a while to find the best bits. You can string together a good 40 mile+ ride though.

As an alternative to off road thrills, there's tons of good stuff to be found on an urban pootle; loads of historical stuff, and things to see. I enjoy it.

jamesca
    Free Member

cheers for the advice, yeah urban rides are also on my agenda i even bought a dslr camera to take with and take some snaps

sidman1001
    Free Member

Got lights. Join me and a few others on a night ride in Epping this Wednesday.

Jump on ur machine and ride the canals and dodgey back streets of London.

1 tip. If riding at night don't stop at any traffic lights.

Enjoy it.

Cullen, grant, can you do thurs? .

jamesca
    Free Member

cheers for the offer but i have left my lights in newcastle, what are the conditions at epping like at the minute. it's not that i mind a bit of mud but it is a hassle when i share an upstairs flat

mcboo
    Free Member

Epping is dusty dry and fast now….lots of very lovely singletrack. Get yourself to High Beech, just dive in.

Aye to awayday Thursday Sid…..

hey mate, I reckon Aton hill is an hour if the traffic is good? It takes me about that and I live in Ealing? Also Swine flu (Swinley forest) might be worth the extra distance it has a bit of everything, trails and fun stuff. Plus dont forget Chicksands or Woburn they are about an hour away up the A1 (Nr Bedford) and full of naughty stuff.

jamesca
    Free Member

thanks for the replies, a couple weekends ago i went to roehampton which was really good but 2 hours to get there is a bit much for mid week riding.

Farticus

Last night commuting back to Chingford on the towpath, just after Ferry Road, our brace of On Ones happened across either a Heckler or Superlight and some sort of Specialized full susser. Got me thinking – what terrain is there around these parts that needs that sort of kit?

Like you, jamesca, I'm a part-timer here (weekdays only). Had a couple of trips into Epping Forest but wouldn't want to go myself – too easy to get lost, no elevation to find out where you are.

jamesca
    Free Member

oh! that's not good as i was wanting to go this evening or tomorrow evening. don't want to be cycling round in the pitch black trying to find my car again.

hopefully there is something i can find that's near the carpark so i don't have to stray too far

eshershore
    Free Member

I'd recommend Hampstead Heath in NW London (head towards Spaniards Wood, at the top of the Heath)

a good amount of elevation so a big climb up, and lots of excellent and surprisingly technical singletrack riding going up, along and down

I've been riding the Heath over 10 years, its one of London's best kept riding secrets (whoops, let the secret out the bag!)

strictly speaking, its illegal to ride off the 3 marked cycle paths (which are tarmac and fireroad) but…..

Talkemada
    Free Member

Last night commuting back to Chingford on the towpath, just after Ferry Road, our brace of On Ones happened across either a Heckler or Superlight and some sort of Specialized full susser

Weren't a tall bloke on a silver Heckler, with a small woman on the Spesh, was it? Might know them if so. And if it is them, I do know that they ride in Wales, Scotland etc a bit, and have been to Oz and Canada too, so not just on the towpath! Many folk in London don't have the space (or even money) for multiple bikes, so tend to have just the one, or a mtb and a commuter.

For urban pootling (as opposed to 'street'), a tatty looking bike is preferable, as it'll be less of a scrote magnet.

senorj

Jamesca….
    if you go to Epping take a compass.
    It took me a couple of years not to get totally lost
    I was there on Saturday and although it is almost dry, there are quite a few flooded patches holding on.
    By time you get home though you should be able to brush it off.
    j.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘biking near north east london’ is closed to new replies.