Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Biking in the snow – New Mills/Dark Peak
  • dan1980
    Free Member

Getting itchy feet and want to get out on my bike. Are there any routes that people have done that aren't icy death around New Mills/Dark Peak area at the moment?

Binster
    Free Member

I did a route around Hope on Saturday and it wasn't too bad – a bit of snow, but little ice; great ride!

will
    Free Member

Was up there yesterday (not biking) this thread will give you an idea of snow. http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-peaks-a-few-snaps

Personally i;d just go for it!

iain1775
    Free Member

was out around ladybower yesterday, descent from Whinstone Lee Tor was the best ever
    Pics here http://www.commencalownersclub.com/index.php/topic,5453.0.html

BadlyWiredDog

It's quite variable at the moment. Went over the Roych yesterday and it's drowned in snow drifts, the fresh snow isn't particularly rideable and because there's been no thaw, it's not really consolidating, so it needs to be tramped down. The stuff round Lantern Pike's okay, the Shooting Cabin was apparently dire yesterday, ditto Rushup Edge. There tends to be drifting and big piles of snow wherever trails are walled or sunken, which is a fair bit of the Peak.

There's not much ice around at the moment, there was on New Year's Day, but it's mostly been covered by fresh snow. Some amazing cornice-type ice formations on the Roych and a stunningly beautiful day, but hard work. I'd just go for it, but don't expect easy riding on perfectly groomed pistes…

I wonder if the stuff around Mellor/Marple might be good, probably had more traffic and is lower down as well.

carlos
    Free Member

I rode Mellor/Marple the other day and it was quite rideable with just a few very icy and snow drift bits, this was before the fresh lot of snow we had though.
    Planning a night ride there tomorrow, so I hope it's OK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Biking in the snow – New Mills/Dark Peak’ is closed to new replies.