Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Biking in Spain: Mojacar/Garrucha area
  • aroche
    Free Member

Hello,
    Off to Spain in July, – Mojacar/Garrucha/Vera area on a general family holiday, – finding it hard to find any info on mountain bike routes, tracks or any guiding companies (if any) around the area. I know of a bike hire place that I can hire an XC bike, but they don’t seem to know much about trails in the area. Mostly interested in enduro, downhill but anything at all really.

Just wondering if anyone has been around here and knows of any trails, tracks, maps, guides or any other sources of information etc. etc. I do know the area pretty well though generally, – but not where to go biking! Seems to be plenty of hills there at least.

Any info sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

jambon
    Free Member

If it’s anything like where I live (Souther Catalunya) :cry:, all of the trails will have been knackered by folk on trials motor bikes. 😥

rockfall72
    Free Member

You’re not far from Sierra Nevada or Murcia. Murcia has the Sierra Espuna and the Valle de Murcia. Lot’s of trails to explore.

n1ppy
    Free Member

My parents live near Albox and I’ve spent a day’s guiding with these guys before http://www.mountainbikingspain.com/. Did half day’s XC and half days uplift.

They don’t tend to do much in July/August due to the heat though.

joeegg
    Free Member

Sierra Espuna is ace but will be hot in July.Saturday morning at the bar Fuente del Hilo is where the Spanish bikers meet.Nearby is the Tourist info centre ( Centro interpretacion ) with 3 marked walks on boards in the car park.You can ride on any footpaths or wide tracks within the park and no motorised vehicles can use them due to being gated ( except officials ).

iffoverload
    Free Member

have a look around here http://www.foromtb.com/

July is going to be HOT,leave at dawn when its cooler,maybe take extra water and a GPS device, getting lost is serious in the summer.

http://www.foromtb.com/threads/lets-talk-about-biking-in-english.689546/

versence
    Free Member

All the local towns have MTB groups who ride on the extensive trails around there. They usually have a blog describing their adventures including a GPS track. Try looking at vanderuta & Frafers.

I often visit Cuevas del Almanzora & use their routes when I go out on the bike. Their blogs also link to similar groups all over the region. There is not a lot of singletrack but there’s a lot of tracks over the local mountains.

I would second going out early in the morning at that time of year.

aroche
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info, Ill follow up on some of those, should be enough to tide me over with a fix or two of biking at least. I’ve been out around there a few years before and muddled my way around the campo a bit. I’ll ask around the bike shops etc. And see if there is anyone English speaking that knows their way around.

Yeah definitely an early start there at that time of year, heat starts to get punishing after 11 in morning, still time for 3 or 4 hours on the bike though, – getting lost in the campo without water is definitely something worth avoiding!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Biking in Spain: Mojacar/Garrucha area’ is closed to new replies.