Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Biking Holidays Abroad Advice/Tips Please.
  • Bikebreaker
    Free Member

Is anyone planning a short trip to the Alps this year? I’m thinking about going for the first time and would like to know what you plan for yours eg,

Where to go? (usual places or new spots)
    Guided or is it self evident where to go if you can navigate maps?
    What type of accomodation, self catering or hotels?
    Do you get lift passes before you go or where from?

Any advice or tips would be very welcome.

many thanks.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my first stupid question:

what bike are you gonna take?

this will influence arguments about where you should go, and whether you should get a guide for a day or so when you get there.

for example: if you’ve got a Dh bike, you’ll have lots of fun in Morzine, you probably won’t need a guide, as a lot of Dh runs are marked on the ‘piste du VTT’ map

if you’ve got a lightweight xc-race hardtail, don’t mind the odd 600m climb, and want to escape the crowds, then maybe somewhere in Austria might be more suited for your tastes.

me? – i’m probably going to take a 160mm mini-Dh bike to Chatel for a week, so i can get shouted/laughed at by walkers, then maybe onto Bourg St Maurice for a week so i can ride quiet singletrack till 8pm.

Mackem

For a short trip you cant beat Morzine, whether it’s XC or downhill. Dont need a guide, just a map and lift pass. Again, for a short trip i’d go Chalet style.

Bikebreaker
    Free Member

Sorry I should have mentioned what type of riding.

I have an Alpine 160 so All Mountain and light downhill. I don’t mind a bit of XC on it either so long as it’s not +50km.

Thanks

andy7t2
    Free Member

We went to the 3 valleys area good natural riding, booked with as company so got all our food and the fella who owned the company came out with us each day and showed us the trails. It cost us about 450 all in + 50 for lift pass. i’d go full board i was knackered after a days riding so it was good to get fed. lift pass you can just get when you arrive

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Biking Holidays Abroad Advice/Tips Please.’ is closed to new replies.