Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikes on the Train from Harwich
  • blurty

I’m planning a trip to Holland, and want to travel back by Ferry and Train.

Has anyone got any experience of putting a bike on the train in Harwich?

Thanks

TimP
    Free Member

Not bikes on it as such but it is 2 carriages so v small trains! They are pretty empty and it stops everywhere. From memory they dont have a designated bike bit on the trains so as long as you are outside rush hour go for it

There was a guy from round there on here who I bought an apple pie off a few years ago (bit random but it was very good) who might be able to offer more help

djambo
    Free Member

Where are you heading to on the train after harwich?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I would have thought the Harwich trains were 4 coaches, not two.

acsevens

you shouldn’t have any problems, the Harwich train is usually pretty quiet even in rush hour – have taken my bike on plenty of times.

Once you get to Manningtree you’ll have to change onto an intercity to London or Norwich, they have a bike carriage which generally has plenty of room. Although I think the letter of the law is that you need a bike reservation, I’ve never bothered and have never been asked for one*

*with one exception – Dunwich Dynamo weekend. which is the 4th / 5th July this year.

Sui
    Free Member

I used to take a bike on train to HArwich. As said, supposed to book bike in advance but never did, it’s not exactly a busy train!

TimP
    Free Member

BigYinn I only used to go at weekends when it was 2 coaches.

djambo
    Free Member

you shouldn’t have any problems, the Harwich train is usually pretty quiet even in rush hour – have taken my bike on plenty of times.

Once you get to Manningtree you’ll have to change onto an intercity to London or Norwich, they have a bike carriage which generally has plenty of room. Although I think the letter of the law is that you need a bike reservation, I’ve never bothered and have never been asked for one

^ this.

alanl
    Free Member

You should be OK without any reservation for the bike.
    You may be on the ‘battery’ train too, it is being tested there.
    http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Batteries-included-Prototype-battery-powered-train-carries-passengers-for-first-time-2230.aspx

Sandwich

Rush hour trains may require a reservation for the bike. Off peak its turn up and go.

blurty

Thanks everyone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikes on the Train from Harwich’ is closed to new replies.