Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Bikes in an Octavia estate or Leon ST- photos etc please
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Aware the Octavia is bigger, but still keen on the Leon. Anyone comment on bike carrying ability (photos would be ace) unlikely to be more than two mtbs+kit.

Towbar will be fitted so exterior rack for 50% of the time.

Both will be 2.0tdi (150ps) models in manual so driving feedback welcomed.

jekkyl

I have a 16 plate Octavia Estate. Love it. You’d be able to fit 2 bikes in the back (with front wheels off) plus kit no bother.
    It also has like 2 sub boots where you can stash loads of stuff.

ElShalimo

I had a 63 plate Octavia estate for 18 months. 2 bikes with front wheels off + kit – absolutely no problem.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Can you get one bike with wheels off in the boot seats up? Medium Aeris if it helps..

Drove both the last few days (in typical test drive environments) and heart says Leon (newer, FR spec).. head Octavia (older, elegance spec and £££ cheaper).

benpinnick

I can tell you for a fact you can’t squeeze an Aeris in an Octavia with the seats up. You can do it with the double split down though, 4 bikes and kit no probs with the full boot space. You’re right to go for an elegance spec if you can as the boot layout is better with a fully flatbed and under storage.

benpinnick

Don’t know about the 150 Tdi but I have the 1.4 tsi and it’s a great car. My next car will also be a skoda… not many car companies that started as bike companies so it just feels right too 😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Thanks Ben- a man in the know 😉 Does the 1.4 (125/140/150?) give enough torque when loaded up? Any idea on real world economy on that trim (there is a Leon with that engine localish)

benpinnick

For a 1.4 the engine is very versatile . It never feels sluggish, except maybe in 6th but that’s a very long gear. It’s a nice driving experience for sure, seems to have enough torque to not get into trouble either when you’re in the wrong gear. When I got mine the 150 td was brand new and I wanted second hand, and the old 125 diesel was not a winner for me, but the 150 is much better. I was doing a lot of short runs and wanted to avoid the death of the dpf so got the tsi, and tbh no regrets other than the thought I’d probably get 8 more mpg based on experience. Real-real world driving the 1.4 is about 37, be nice on a long run and you’ll touch 45, but that’s the best you’ll get, factor in service, fuel and purchase costs like I did though and those numbers are not so bad against the diesel.

benpinnick

Not sure on the ps on mine by the way, but I suspect it’s 125 as it was a newish engine when I bought it. Still wheel spin in the dry if you’re enthusiastic on the accelerator though. I can’t really say I’ve ever felt it needed more power, it’s not a sports car for sure, but I’ve had cars that struggle and this is not one of them. It has just enough oomph to be not-annoying without being faster than you can realistically expect to drive a comfy estate car.

manmurray

We have the 1.4 150 in an A4 estate leasemobile, and it’s actually pretty good considering the size of the car. Concur with Ben on mpg – with roof bars/carriers it averages 43 on a long run, around town about 37. Lack of low down torque was odd at first but you get used to it, and feels pretty nippy once the turbo’s running, even when loaded. Not exactly sporty but not under powered either, very happy with it.

Steelsreal

leon st 150 here its okay but nowhere near as big as the octavia, which i kind of wish i had got.

use a towbar rack and took four of us with gear to afan no problem the other weekend so pretty good.

driving is nice I have the FR so get different modes, nice and nippy. Mate with an S3 said it felt torquey when loaded up so pretty good and computer says average of 50mpg over the 9k i have done in six months!

Not tried a bike in but has a weird floor where you have the boot loor high to make it level with the rear seats for flat loading but that makes the boot quite a bit smaller.

I would say the Octavia is far more suited to bike inside but the Leon (in FR mode) is a smaller sportier car i my opinion (only test drove an octavia VRS TDI)

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

For the extra space or for other reasons also Steelisreal?

The Octavia has the same weird floor- the quoted capacity on the Octavia is 270 more seats down and 20 more seats up. I can’t see where this comes from (apart from the more sloped roof on the Leon).. width is the same? Length there is not much in it as far as I can see.

To be honest I’m coming from a Civic hatch which was pretty roomy, only 120l down on the ST (eek, didn’t realise it was that close!) and I want more torque and a better drive. Civic Tourer is huge but a pretty average drive.

Choice of Octavia with 37k miles at £12k (2 years warranty/servicing/breakdown) in Elegance spec or another £2-3K for a sub ten thousand mile FR.. Decisions! Unless I fall in love with either will probably change after two years.

poah
    Free Member

Octavia estate – boot bigger than the seat.

Two bikes and a pram plus bits and bobs in the boot with seats up. Bikes had forks off and pedals off. I got my bike in the boot with just the wheels off and my gsd as well the other day and I’ve had three bikes in with the split seat down with just the wheels off.

ChrisL

My ’57 plate Ocatvia estate has taken a single XL bike in the boot (both wheels off), or 2 bikes with only their front wheels off if the back seats are down.

jekkyl

There’s really no reason to buy a car any more. Have a look at leasing, for a new Octavia you’re looking at 1500 odd upfront then 180-200 a month.

MoreCashThanDash

We have a 16 plate Octavia estate mate has a 16 plate Leon estate.

Ours is bigger. Deeper, wider, higher. Still need to drop the front wheel off and drop a seat post to get two mountain bikes in.

transition1
    Free Member

I used to have a LCR with the bottom rear seats removed & backs down flat I could fit 2 bikes with front wheels removed & 1 passenger up front or 1 windsurf board over passenger seat & all my sails plus 1 bike.

bear-uk
    Free Member

14 plate Leon 150 ST owner here. Mine did a 400 mile trip last week. 3 guys and fully loaded with camping gear. Driven hardish and returned 60 mpg in standard mode.
    I find it easy to drive and park but its load capacity is nowhere near the Octavia.

Steelsreal

as bear uk said, leon is a realy bice drive and comfy too. Octavia seemed miles wider when we tested one as there are only three of us went for the ST.

Sat nav is pants but as they are both VAG think that will be the same on both 🙂

I am that fickle i would wish i had the Leon if i bought the Skoda. Got mine on a 0% PCP and bargained hard for the towbar so got a better deal on the Seat

P20

Our old 56 plate 4×4. Two full suss, big tent with awning, stove, walking kit, biking kit, everything needed for two weeks of camping/biking/walking. All kept secure and away from prying eyes in that big grey bag.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dbdquB]It all fits in the car![/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

shifter
    Free Member

There’s really no reason to buy a car any more. Have a look at leasing

Well someone will own it and I doubt they’ll be losing money by leasing it to punters.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“There’s really no reason to buy a car any more. Have a look at leasing, for a new Octavia you’re looking at 1500 odd upfront then 180-200 a month.”

I see 2 reasons right there.

1500 quid and 180 a month.s seems an expensive way to run transport

Maybe no reason to OWN a new car if you NEED a NEW car.

superstu
    Free Member

Leasing always looks expensive when you do reasonable mileage (25k+), or it did when I looked at least.

Ben_mw

My Octavia in fully loaded for a fortnights camping mode.

On the rack there are 2 full size bikes, 1 balance bike, 1 kids bike and a double trailer (with wheels, towbar, the lot). I achieved just over 50mpg on 400+ mile trip up the autoroute at 80-85 all the way, which considering the roofbox and all the tent, stove, cuddly toys and everything else needed for a 5 and a 2 year old to go away for 2 weeks, I think is pretty good! Car still has a bit of go about it and doesn’t feel too unbalanced, though it is easier to spin the wheels. (Was dreading getting a puncture as it would have taken about an hour to unearth the spare wheel)!

rickmeister

Does leasing work with a bike lifestyle, putting all that stuff in the car regularly…?

It is in effect, car rental and it needs handing back in reasonable condition to avoid penalty… So not scratched and grubby…

jekkyl

depends how cack handed you are! also they don’t expect it back in pristine condition, you are allowed some wear & tear.

morphio
    Free Member

Also looking at the Octavia at the moment.

Can someone verify if the boot width quoted of 1010mm is for narrowest point between seats when folded down, or the optimistic widest point? Trying to work out if the bike boxes will fit in for airport runs.

Or even better, has anyone put 2 of the bike box alan boxes in (big old things)!

morphio
    Free Member

Also any thoughts on merits of getting a pre 2013 model v a post 2013 model? Struggling to work out how much budget we have, and how much I should spend given likely to buying a house in the next few months, but need a car!

ElShalimo

It should be obvious but a car is not as important as a house. Take your time, find the right one and spend £5k on the car, put the money saved towards your house to reduce your long term debt.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bikes in an Octavia estate…

Assume a Mk3?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I managed to get a full bike without the wheels on in the boot of my old mk2 Octavia estate easily with the back seats still up and the load cover on. Seem to remember I may have had to loosen off the stem slightly but it went in flat so could have got another on top.

Despite cracker toys being built better, still miss that car…

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Bikes in an Octavia estate or Leon ST- photos etc please’ is closed to new replies.