Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bikes falling off roof racks
  • paul4stones

Anyone know what the lifespan of a roofbar mounted cycle carrier is? I've got two each of two types, one basic Thule one from 2006, one cheap and cheerful one from about 2001 which is looking a bit ropey.

Ta

cinnamon_girl

My cycle carrier became detached from roof bars. One foot sheared but bike was still attached to cycle carrier. Six months old.

Edit: happened on a dual carriageway at a weekend.

toys19
    Free Member

Edit: happened on a dual carriageway at a weekend.

Blimey!!
    My brand new thule had plastic straps for the wheels, they both snapped and lost my bike off the back as I accellerated, replaced with web straps all good.

billysan
    Free Member

When I was working in a bike shop in Devon a few years ago we used to get bikes come in for repair every week that had become detatched from the roof. The shop owner even lost his Giant Trinity TT bike off one!! Even though they were in for repair, they were more often than not mullered due to being run over by following cars it seems.

I'll always have my bike in the car as a result.

trail_rat
    Free Member

billysan – snap we didnt sell roof racks/strap on racks for this reason …. tow bar racks only .

we did however have to sort bikes out for the local halfords because they fitted racks which subsequently fell off later that day with bikes on …

used to always lay my race bike across the back seats of my car – now they live in der van

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

We can never stress enough with our racks to always be careful, double check the rack is fitted to the car properly and the bike is secure on the rack.

helsbels
    Free Member

so not intending to post jack – but is there a lifespan for a pendle towbar rack then?

Since mine is about 3 yrs old and used every weekend….

fettling
    Free Member

Whenever I use any type of rack I always drive a little way, then stop and check. Usually a handy layby before joining a fast road.
    Have ocassionally spotted things on the check which I am not 100% happy with and have rectified. Never had any problems with this option, although I will corner more slowly when using any type of rack.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we used to sell pendle towbar racks – no issues with them – they are ace

no mechanical parts to break really

paul4stones

Ok, so apart from confirming that things can go wrong no one knows about a lifespan? Between 6 months and 9yrs + looking at it ^^

neil853
    Free Member

I have had a set (3) of Thules for two years covering literally thousands of miles with no hick up's what so ever. Can't help but think that 99% of problems with these things are human related (not fitting them on racks correctly) 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bikes falling off roof racks’ is closed to new replies.