Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Biker ALERT! Get good wheels first not good components.
  • forexpipz
    Free Member

As per title. I see so many people with insanely good equipment on their bikes yet the wheels are utter balls.

Seriously need to educate the masses on here because its a recurring problem.

yacoby
    Free Member

Who cares what other people do with their money, as long as they are having fun?

If I were looking for an upgrade for my bike it would be the fleshy thing on top. Can’t ride for shit and is no where near the capabilities of the bike. Clear weak point.

ojom
    Free Member

WT and Actual F?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

My shite wheels have lasted me years when other more expensive components have broken. It doesn’t bother me. MTFU

wwaswas

I thought my wheels were components.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll put that on a post it note and stick it on my fridge. It’s a really really serious issue, people need to be told.

And I thought yesterday’s ‘how to wash your kit’ post was daft!

patriotpro
    Free Member

This is gonna be good 🙂

cheese@4p

Right, I’m on my way to the expensive wheel shop right away!
    (Sound of door slamming and diminishing running footsteps)

patriotpro
    Free Member

I use bbq-beef hula hoops for my wheels and have a full sram xx1 and a diamond encrusted carbon-frame.

Milkie
    Free Member

You need these:

jonba
    Free Member

Can you enlighten me with what good wheels are? And for that matter what poor wheels are. Same with components?

If I have an xt level groupset are my hope hoops ok or should I really be thinking about chris king hubs? Maybe CK hubs are more XTR? I suppose it is easy if you just stick to shimano based components as they have XT, XTR wheels. But then one of my bikes has SRAM, do SRAM make wheels? Also singlespeed, has a very limited number of comonents, which ones should I be matching to my wheels?

Is this only for mtb? I have multiple wheels for my road bike. Do deep section go up a catagory in terms of components or is it still ok to use 50mm carbon rims and ultegra. My training wheels/non race wheels are lower spec, is it ok to use them or should I think about some training cranks as well?

Any help appreciated as I’m confused an might need to sell my bikes, I suppose if I bought off the peg bikes that would be fine? Still some manufacturers scrimp on hubs, maybe you should right to Specialized, my FSR elite came with an SLX level rear hub but and XTR rear mech – INSANE!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely the tyres will make far more difference than wheels, followed by the frame and suspension for that matter.

Rosss
    Free Member

Thank you so much for this post I now feel educated. Where’s my wallet?

wwaswas

Based on my experience, new legs and lungs should be top of most people’s lists. That’s where there’s real gains to be made.

Rosss
    Free Member

Thank you so much for this post I now feel educated. Where’s my wallet? Are E thirteen TRS good enough for my stumpy or do I need to go carbon because I have a XTR rear mech?

Gary_M
    Free Member

forexpipz could you tell us all what wheels/components you have on your bike(s)?

Also why is it a ‘recurring problem’ and for who?

swavis

What if I build my own wheels, where on the shite/bling scale would they sit? Or is it just dependent on components used and not the skill of the wheel builder? Heeeeeeyyyyyyylllllppppppp!!!!!!!! 😕

njee20
    Free Member

How immensely peculiar!

stevied
    Free Member

Is it like hi-fi equipment where you need to spend, IIRC, 10-20% of the budget on cables? Is there a % that we can use?
    My frame/forks only cost me £600 but my wheels were nearly £400. Am I safe?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Am I safe?

You need to be educated!

ads678

On my five my rear wheel is a Hope bulb on Mavic EN321 and my front is a pro 2 on EN521, will this be a problem or do I need to replace one of the wheels? My other components are generally ok, mid level I suppose, should I upgrade all the bits to be at the same level of goodness? And then will my frame need a respray……….

Toasty

Tragically when I built up my first 29er, I got some Reetard wheels, £99 + free Nevegals (which were like 1kg each), huge wide things, the bike was awesome. Upgraded to expensive narrow wheels, it’s never been quite as much fun.

I see from the OPs own threads, he neglects to line up the tyre/rim logos on his wheels. Seriously need to educate the masses on here because its a recurring problem.

elliott-20
    Free Member

That’s death for must of us then.

I’l take the risk. I like living on the edge.

stevied
    Free Member

Gone are the days of “what tyre” threads….

It will now be:

What wheels for xxxxx frame?
    Or
    What wheels go best with these components?

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d suggest that taking advice from someone who is either in finance, was in finance or wants to be in finance (looking at the username) may not be the wisest course.

In any case, I have some expensive wheels and some cheap ones. I like the expensive ones because they look awesome but I couldn’t honestly tell you that they are “better” than the 6 year old ones I got on a Commencal HT.

bencooper
    Free Member

its a recurring problem

It keeps coming around?

rewski
    Free Member

hold on, he’s got a point, utter balls wheels are pants

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah so what your saying is if i hadnt given the good lady the good light TT wheels on tuesday night i would have won ?

instead i had some 2kg wheels on my TT bike with good components and was totally pants*…..

* May or may not be true …..

ThePinkster

I’ve just ordered a new X9 2×10 direct mount front mech.

What wheels should I buy to go with it? 😕

mega
    Free Member

OP you are the bike angel – save us all from ourselves
    Hellelujah

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Troll

Cheezpleez

What really annoys me is that some people spend £3-4k on a bike and then completely fail to fit adequate cooking facilities.

One guy I ride with is making do with a bar-mounted toaster. 🙄

I mean, WTF?

bigjim

Wow, much hatred. I’d say its a valid point, much better to spend £300 to upgrade to good wheels rather than the same on purple ti bolts (showing my age there)

ads678

One guy I ride with is making do with a bar-mounted toaster.

If you’re going fast enough though, when the toast pops out it’ll land right in your lap 😀

glupton1976
    Free Member

Would an Audi be classed as good wheels?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’d say its a valid point

I agree, if desperately clumsy in its delivery.

_tom_
    Free Member

I agree with the op, heavy wheels make for a sluggish ride.

thepurist

More importantly, why has nobody posted any advice on how to keep my wheels (and other components) clean? I NEED TO KNOW!

makeitorange
    Free Member

I’ve running cheapie superstar wheels directly connected to a pair of top-of-the-range Marzocchi 55rc3tis. Do I need to see a priest and seek forgiveness for my unholy ways? Or am I doomed to a fiery hell?

njee20
    Free Member

I agree with the op, heavy wheels make for a sluggish ride.

Aah, but what’s better – some Crests on A2Z hubs, or Enves on Chris King hubs? The former are lighter, but are they ‘better’, or indeed good enough to asuage the OP?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Biker ALERT! Get good wheels first not good components.’ is closed to new replies.