Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bikepacking saddle bags/seat packs
  • leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I’m looking around at those massive seat packs for bikepacking. Has anyone got any experience of using them? Interested in space, stability, weatherproofness etc.

Relevate Designs Viscacha
    Alpkit Koala

thomthumb
    Free Member

wildcat gear needs to be on the list.

I have a revelate. it’s great. but the import taxes sting.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have a Carradice SQR Tour

Very happy with it, 16ltr capacity and very secure fitting.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I missed off the Wildcat gear as it’s essentially a cradle for your drybag isn’t it? Interesting concept but ends up being quite expensive once a quality drybag is factored in…

scotroutes

Revelate to a similar harness/drybag seatpack now. Ideal for the like of packrafting.

I have a Viscacha. Does what it says on the tin I guess. The only issue I’ve really had is not cinching it up tight enough so that the rear tyre ended up “buzzing” it for a bit (one of the disadvantages of being 5’7″ and riding a 29er). No damage done though.

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

I have used a Revelate one, owned a bikepack EU one and now have the Wildcat one
    I much prefer the Wildcat….i’ll try to explain why

None of the seat bags are waterproof so you still need the dry bag.
    This makes the wildcat lighter
    ( Weights….. Wildcat 172g + dry bag vs the bikepack EU. @ 372g + drybag )

if it is muddy the seatpack acts as a large mudguard and ends up filthy.
    With the Wildcat you can just unclip the harness and slip out the drybag leaving the harness on the bike. You wipe the mud off on the wet grass and finish with a cloth. You can then take a nice clean bag into your tent / tarp.

In the morning you slacken the compression straps on the Wildcat, slip the drybag in and then compress it into a small stable package. Easy and quick.

With the fully enclosed seatpacks it is much more difficult to stuff your drybag in. My mate and i both found it necessary to take the seatpack off the bike in order to get the drybag in. It took far more time and you end up covered in mud

The only slight concern of the Wildcat approach is the vulnerability of your dry bag to being punctured when passing thorn bushes.

I have found the stabilty of each bag pretty good. Id give the Wildcat 9/10, The revelate 8/10 and the Bikepack 7/10 for stability

Hope this helps

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Thanks Mark, that’s brilliant info and makes perfect sense. I’ll bear this in mind then, as I could use an 8l dry bag elsewhere.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bikepacking saddle bags/seat packs’ is closed to new replies.