Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bikepackers; Sleeping bag advice needed.
  • devash
    Free Member

Morning Singletrackers.

A quick question for the bikepackers re: sleeping bag comfort ratings. Would a bag with an EN rating of 3 degrees C (Comfort) / -2 degrees C (Comfort Limit) be ok for wild camping in the UK using an ultralight 1 man tent between April to mid-October?

I usually sleep in my thermals and carry a down jacket for very cold nights.

The next level up bag has a rating of -1 degrees C (Comfort) and -7 degrees C (Comfort Limit) but there’s obviously a weight penalty.

steezysix
    Free Member

A lot of different factors to think about – do you sleep hot or cold normally, what you ate before going to bed, etc. Probably the biggest is what sort of sleeping mat you have? You can lose a lot of heat through conduction into the ground. I’d normally go for a lighter bag and a warmer mat if you can.

boblo
    Free Member

I’d take that c/w a NeoAir no hesitation especially with thermals and a jacket/hat. Obviously if you’re planning on camping on top of stuff (~3000′), you might need a warmer bag. If not, you’ll be reet.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to making sure you have a good sleeping mat – Neo-air or the Exped Synmats are a good starting point.

My summer bag is a PHD Minim 200 which is rated to 5C and it’s fine. When it gets cooler I add a 5C rated quilt. That combo gets me down to the -5/-6C territory. This is under a tarp not in a tent which would add a degree or so to the ambient temps. I adjust things up/down by wearing thermals, hat, etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Does depend a bit on you. I was advised to get a summer weight bag for camping and was freezing even sleeping in thermals (bag was a fairly cheap one). Upgraded to a three season and all was good.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

A lot of different factors to think about – do you sleep hot or cold normally, what you ate before going to bed, etc. Probably the biggest is what sort of sleeping mat you have? You can lose a lot of heat through conduction into the ground.

add to this, the massive variation in temps that prevail between Apr and Oct and between London and Inverness. So the answer is Yes, No, maybe, depending on the conditions on the day and all the other stuff.
    As above, one of the key base points is the thermal insulation of the mat. My personal sleeping pref is a super lightweight sleeping bag (I’ve got an ME Dewline) with light down gilet/jacket, bit more useful around camp than just a big sleeping bag.

hairylegs
    Free Member

My personal sleeping pref is a super lightweight sleeping bag (I’ve got an ME Dewline) with light down gilet/jacket, bit more useful around camp than just a big sleeping bag.

+ 1 on that. Similarly, I have an ME Dewline and have used it on the OMM at the end of October several times. Combined with a Montane Prism vest, termal tights, dry socks and a beanie I’ve always been toasty

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh a 1 season rated bag can vary so much.

I have a snugpak 1 season synthetic I wouldn’t give time of day to sleeping in the house in the summer……

Conversely my alpkit pipedream 200. Perfectly happy in the summer at height in Scotland in a bivvy bag.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bikepackers; Sleeping bag advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.