Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike/motorcycle chain
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys, what is the best chain to get to go on a wall anchor? one thats unlikely to get snapped by cutters etc……but not to thick that it wont go through the actual anchor ha! just needs to wrap around the frame, and other locks secure wheels etc etc….heard not so good things about some of the major brands like kryptonite, then a guy on here posted a link to chain not so long ago that hadnt been successfully cut by croppers etc…

much appreciated 🙂

Lummox

i think you might be better investigating home contents insuarance (M & S gets my vote) As if you put an amazingly strong chain through a bike frame, they will probably resort to just cutting through the frame instead. Sounds defeatist but at least with a slightly weaker chain there is the possibility of a complete bike being recovered.

That said in my line of work (firefighter) the stuff that gives us the biggest problems in cars with our hydraulic cutters is Boron tubing and hardened steel, if you can find something built with that you should have a pretty robust lock.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Squire 16mm

16mm/19mm cannot be bolt cropped by hand. Used PJB before and they are very efficient and helpful.

bassspine
    Free Member

these guys are good mainly aimed at the motorcycle market, but I do know the actual owner and he is a sound chap, they go the extra mile to make sure the locks and chains are as good as possible, to the extent of not making as much profit…

robgarrioch

I started a similar thread on my motorbike forum not so long ago – ground anchor vs. chain.

Upshot is / will be using Almax equipment, in the near future, hopefully…

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Worth noting that PJB are a fair bit cheaper than Almax/Pragmasis for 16mm chain/lock/anchor combos.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys! yes it was the almax site i had seen and forgot the name of!

but that squire one looks pretty much the same for a bit cheaper and a mm thicker…

both say cant be bolt cropped by hand so thats what im after really

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry do you not get a lock with the chain for 80quid? you have to buy that seperately?

simon_g

Almax are very good (at least in their own cropping test), but you have to question how many thieves will go round with 5 foot bolt croppers. If they come with power tools, they'll all go quickly (but noisily).

The bigger factor IMO is making sure the chain is just long enough to get round everything and the anchor, leaving nothing resting on the floor. They're much harder to cut if you have to do it in mid-air. Wall anchors can be better than ground ones in that respect.

As said, if it's too much to defeat the lock there's plenty of other expensive stuff to either unbolt easily or cut through the frame to take in one piece – my old Orange C16 was stripped when their attempts to get through the Squire D-lock failed (and bent the frame in the process).

Remember too that if they want it that badly and it's worth their while, you might get woken up by someone demanding the keys instead.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Chain/padlock/anchor combo

Something like that would do the job. Length of chain depends how many bikes you have.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

that link looks really good value for money, dont really need a ground anchor but still cheaper than everywhere else i must say! cheers!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Also look at this one here

Not sure how its rates, but seems like it would do the job.

I was happy with the reviews on the Squire stuff, and the PJB service- so money well spent in my opinion!

giantjason
    Free Member

i use the Almax immobiliser chain with a squire lock and standard ground anchor concreted into the garage floor. This was left over when i sold my motorbike last year.

Probably over the top but gives me piece of mind.

rootes1

put things high up so people can't use the floor to help with bolt cutters

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike/motorcycle chain’ is closed to new replies.