• This topic has 25 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bfw.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • bikejoring?
  • bfw

anyone tried this, and/or recommend a web site or shop to buy the gear?

Ferris

mintimperial

Bikejoring? What?

*googles*

Oh, right. Well, you learn something new everyday. That’s my new thing, can I go back to bed now?

TooTall
    Free Member

http://cani-cross.co.uk/index.shtml

Dammit – post didn’t post….

Loads of good stuff on that link. The shop has the kit you want, but you can probably make it easily enough. The hard part is getting the dog to follow your instructions!

Cani X have some really nice people involved in the sport. I marshalled at an event Mrs TT ran in – very enjoyable.

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm, isn’t it funny, resistance training your dog is seen as Ok in this context, but a recent thread here with a chav and chav dog essentially putting the dog under the same or maybe lesser strain was considered by many as beyond the pale..

iDave
    Free Member

that’s got to be one of the most dumbass activities I’ve ever come across

user-removed
    Free Member

Erm toys – you’ve completely missed the point there – the reason people are unhappy on the other thread is not that the dog is pulling a weight, it’s that the dog was (very likely) in training for illegal, cruel and unnecessary dog fighting.

In bikejoring and sledding, the dogs are not. Simples.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

iDave + 1

toys19
    Free Member

Erm toys – you’ve completely missed the point there – the reason people are unhappy on the other thread is not that the dog is pulling a weight, it’s that the dog was (very likely) in training for illegal, cruel and unnecessary dog fighting.

In bikejoring and sledding, the dogs are not. Simples.

No I haven’t, the OP in the other post made no such suggestion and anyway there was no proof of any dog fighting, just an assumption based on appearance and prejudice. Loads of posters made no mention of fighting they implied that just pulling the weight was cruel. So I think you will find that, after careful consideration, you have missed the point.

redthunder
    Free Member

Mmm Looks kinky 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

toys – is your world black and white?

Comparing a controlled, supervised sport where the welfare of the animal is front and centre (properly designed harness etc) to a charver training a dog for fighting is just stupid and crass. Having seen the sport in action, I’d say less strain was exerted on Cani X dogs.

What other conclusion would you take from a charver with a dog like that on a leash with a weight attached? Bleeding-heart trolling at its best.

rickmeister

You could get in touch with this guy, friend of mine, Alan, he also builds sledges for the winter to use instead of the bike:
    Bikejoring Scotland

iDave
    Free Member

it looks like a contrived activity invented to separate gullible people from their cash

toys19
    Free Member

Comparing a controlled, supervised sport where the welfare of the animal is front and centre (properly designed harness etc) to a charver training a dog for fighting is just stupid and crass.

I think seeing a foto of a dog pulling a weight and assuming it is being trained for fighting is stupid and crass, and the actions of a knee jerk middle class S.Y.N.T. Frankly an awful lot of people on that thread implied that just pulling the weight was bad enough. I fail to see the difference in exercise/abuse in pulling a weight(a man on a bike) or pulling a weight (a bit of metal). If it was being trained for fighting then that is a different matter, but you chose to ignore the point I was making to try and incorporate the fighting dog issue which I didn’t associate or compare to this activity. Try reading what people say in future before you decide to insult them. What you have done here is reveal what an idiot you are by not reading my post properly, not reading the other thread and just wading in with judgemental and ignorant comments.

TooTall
    Free Member

it looks like a contrived activity invented to separate gullible people from their cash

like most hobbies and sports then? Cross country running / cycling with a dog that is under control? Sounds better than those who take their dogs out when they are on their bikes and have no control of them.

TooTall
    Free Member

I fail to see the difference in exercise/abuse in pulling a weight(a man on a bike) or pulling a weight (a bit of metal)

Hence the ‘black and white’ comment. I’m sorry you have no colour vision – or even shades of grey. I suppose all sled dogs are being abused as well then?

toys19
    Free Member

No, in fact I don’t think its abuse, I imagine the dogs quite enjoy the sled pulling or the pulling of weights. My comment was meant to be a piss take of those who said that even pulling the weight was abuse, never mind if it was for dog fighting. I also don’t like dog fighting. It’s funny how people choose to read a comment to give themselves the opportunity to flame someone. IE – YOU

TooTall
    Free Member

Capitals and bold. Yay! 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

😀

Toys – I’ve re-read the relevant posts and stand by my assertions. If you do the same, you may understand why*

*I say that in the absolute certainty that you won’t, and that even if you do, your blinkers will remain in place…

toys19
    Free Member

Yah, saying I am blinkered doesn’t make you right. You appear to be incapable of discerning which posters mentioned either the weight pulling as being wrong (or right), the association with dog fighting and how that may be wrong, or both. Luckily I can tell the difference. You have missed my point by a country mile because of your pre-conceptions. It’s fine with me. In fact between you and toojudgemental you have illustrated my point quite admirably. Thanks, the moron baiters win again!

user-removed
    Free Member

😀 😀 😀

fair enough toys yeah it isnt cruel for a dog to pull a weight, certainly not when compared to the weight of a man on bike and yes people made an assumption that the owner was chavscum and was probably training his dog for a scrap or to bite someone.

But in all honesty why would anyone make they’re dog pull a dumbbell around behind it other than for fighting?

What are the chances of it being an alternative explanation? And also and more importantly so what if they’re was a reasonable explanation (he might be training it for some bikejoring perhaps!!!!) Im sure in that case he would explain all if reported and everyone would eat cake and laugh it off whilst admiring his bikejoring trophies. But if it isnt (and lets face it; it probably isnt) then that dog is saved from a nasty fate and hopefully the animal was removed from an irresponsible owner who could potentially use the dog as a weapon which would be bad for the victim and bad for the dog.

TooTall
    Free Member

Just so you all know – the cyclist does pedal in bikejoring. 🙄

toys19
    Free Member

Well a simple google of the the words ”dog weight training” reveals an awful lot about why you should never be selected for jury service. Or maybe the chav just thought it was cool, or maybe he wanted to build muscle on his dog so it looked harder (lame but no crime) or maybe he was trying to rehabilitate his dog form an injury (not sure this is the best way but you cannot easily get into the average chav brain).

Other than that quite frankly I have made very clear that I wasn’t commenting on the aspect of dog fighting, and that I don’t approve of dog fighting. If you read the other thread many of the posters state that just pulling the weight is cruel enough to report to some authority. That was my obvious explicit point. I fear I am jsut repeating myself now.

PS
    [starwarsmode]Have you considered applying to the Galagactic empire for a job as an imperial stormtrooper?[/starwarsmode]

well yes as I stated previously i agree that it isnt cruel for the dog to pull the weight, and yes some people thought it was and wow you have pointed out that they are incorrect and ignorant for immediately assuming that a dog owner who straps a heavy weight to a dog with a piece of string is not necessarily mistreating the animal. Well done Cesar Millan.

But as I said above if there was an innocent explanation for the guy making his dog do that then when investigated after it being reported that would have come out in the wash and everyone would be ok with it. But I doubt it.

bfw

wow I didnt expect that! I thought it could be great fun to have a go, after all my BC loves exercise and pulling me 🙂 That is a joke btw, she is perfectly controlled… most of the time.

I just thought it would be a great way of mtbing and dog running at the same time, and yes I would peddle as I need to get fitter not fatter

bfw

thanks for the links btw

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘bikejoring?’ is closed to new replies.